Burkina attack kills around 10 civilians: security source

Soldiers from Burkina Faso patrol on the road of Gorgadji in the Sahel area, Burkina Faso. (Reuters/File)
Short Url
Updated 17 January 2022
Follow

Burkina attack kills around 10 civilians: security source

  • Burkina Faso has been struggling with jihadist attacks since 2015, when militants linked to Al-Qaeda and the Daesh group began mounting cross-border raids from Mali

OUAGADOUGOU: At least 10 civilians have been killed in an attack blamed on jihadists in northern Burkina Faso, an area in the grip of a six-year insurgency, security sources said Sunday.
“Unidentified armed individuals carried out an attack on the village of Namssiguian in Bam province” on Saturday, a security source told AFP, adding that the provisional death toll was around 10 dead civilians.
A local resident put the provisional death toll at nine and said that significant damage had been caused to shops and businesses in the village, which had been torched. 


“The terrorists stayed in the village for several hours, where they looted and destroyed,” he said, adding that the assaillants had “sabotaged the telephone antennas beforehand, making all communication impossible.”
The security source warned that the toll could still rise as “families are still awaiting news about family members.”
Burkina Faso has been struggling with jihadist attacks since 2015, when militants linked to Al-Qaeda and the Daesh group began mounting cross-border raids from Mali.
More than 2,000 people have died, according to a toll compiled by AFP.
The national emergency aid agency says that 1.5 million people, nearly two-thirds of them children, were internally displaced as of November 30.
The country’s security forces are poorly equipped to face a ruthless and highly mobile foe, adept at carrying out hit-and-run raids aboard motorbikes and pickup trucks.
On November 14, a force described as numbering several hundred men attacked a police base at Inata near the Malian border, killing 57 people, including 53 gendarmes.
On December 23, 41 people were killed when a convoy of traders was ambushed near Ouahigouya, also near the Malian frontier.


Australia to ban citizen from returning to country under rarely-used terror laws

Updated 3 sec ago
Follow

Australia to ban citizen from returning to country under rarely-used terror laws

  • They were briefly freed on Monday before being turned back by Damascus for holding inadequate paperwork
SYDNEY: Australia ‌said on Wednesday it would temporarily ban one of its citizens held in a Syrian camp from returning to the country, ​under rarely-used powers aimed at preventing terror activity.
Thirty-four Australians in a northern Syrian facility holding families of suspected Daesh militants are expected to return home after their release was conditionally approved by camp authorities.
They were briefly freed on Monday before being turned back by Damascus for holding inadequate paperwork.
Australia has already ‌said it ‌would not provide any assistance to ​those ‌held ⁠in ​the camp, ⁠and is investigating whether any individuals posed a threat to national security.
“I can confirm that one individual in this cohort has been issued a temporary exclusion order, which was made on advice from security agencies,” Home Affairs Minister Tony Burke said in a statement on ⁠Wednesday.
Security agencies have not yet advised ‌that other members of the ‌group meet the legal threshold for ​a similar ban, he ‌added.
Introduced in 2019, the legislation allows for ‌bans of up to two years for Australian citizens over the age of 14 that the government believes are a security risk.
Prime Minister Anthony Albanese said on Wednesday some members of ‌the cohort, that includes children, had aligned themselves with a “brutal, reactionary ideology and ⁠that seeks to ⁠undermine and destroy our way of life.”
“It’s unfortunate that children are caught up in this, that’s not their decision, but it’s the decision of their parents or their mother,” he added.
News of the families’ possible return has caused controversy in Australia, where support for the right-wing, anti-immigration One Nation party has surged in recent months.
A poll this week found One Nation’s share of the popular vote at a ​record high of 26 percent, ​above the combined support for the traditional center-right coalition currently in opposition.