Real Madrid manager Carlo Ancelotti eyes silverware after booking place in Spanish Super Cup final 

1 / 2
Real Madrid first team manager Carlo Ancelotti speaks to reporters in the post-match press conference in Riyadh after a swift victory for Les Merengues against Barcelona. (Saudi Ministry of Sport)
2 / 2
Real Madrid forward Karim Benzema speaks to reporters in a press conference in Riyadh after a swift victory for Les Merengues against Barcelona. (AN Photo/Zaid Khashogji)
Short Url
Updated 13 January 2022
Follow

Real Madrid manager Carlo Ancelotti eyes silverware after booking place in Spanish Super Cup final 

  • Win over arch-rivals Barcelona in extra time lifts confidence ahead of Sunday’s decider

RIYADH: Real Madrid’s 3-2 victory over Barcelona in extra time in the first El Clasico of the new year has given Madrid manager Carlo Ancelotti his first chance of claiming silverware since returning to the club.

Asked who he would prefer to meet in the final, Ancelotti told Arab News in the post-match press conference: “It’s the same for me whoever we face. What matters is we’re in the final.”

League champions Atletico Madrid will play Copa del Rey runners-up Athletic Bilbao on Thursday in the second semifinal of the Spanish Super Cup held in Riyadh. The winner will face Real in the final on Sunday.

“Both teams are good. I look forward to seeing them compete tomorrow,” Ancelotti added.

Barcelona put on a promising display on Wednesday, but are still finding their way as players return from lengthy layoffs.

However, following the introduction of new signing Ferran Torres, there is a renewed air of optimism.

“We are on the right track,” Barcelona center back Gerard Pique said after the match. “Playing like this, we can begin to win and compete for titles.”

Federico Valverde scored the winning goal for Real Madrid to continue his outstanding record in this competition, but replied cautiously after the game: “They’re still Barcelona, even if the results haven’t been there. In my opinion, we have to convert more of the chances we get.”

In his post-match comments, Barcelona manager Xavi Hernandez was critical of his players’ slow start to the game.

“For the first 20 minutes we still showed doubts from recent times, but we got rid of those and we competed,” he said.

Xavi agreed with Pique’s verdict that the club has a bright future, saying: “We’re not so far from what our La Liga standing reflects.”

After such a tight affair, Xavi’s frustration was clear as he told reporters: “We had it. We had it. It was a game that was a coin flip and it turned out one way, but it could have turned out another. We’re proud, we competed and we have to continue on this path.”

Meanwhile, Real Madrid can look forward to the final on Sunday in Riyadh as they await the winners of the second semifinal.


Manchester City Abu Dhabi Cup 2027 dates confirmed

Updated 5 sec ago
Follow

Manchester City Abu Dhabi Cup 2027 dates confirmed

  • After a record-breaking tournament in January, the competition returns next year from Jan. 8-10

ABU DHABI: The Manchester City Abu Dhabi Cup will return in 2027 following another record-breaking edition last month, and the registration window is now open.

From Jan. 8 to 10, 2027, teams from across the world will be able to compete in the eighth edition of the region’s Tournament of Choice.

The competition’s three-day format returns after a successful expansion this year that had more than 8,000 people attend Zayed Sports City across a weekend that featured 3,500 local, regional and international players.

In total, 244 teams from the under-8 to under-16 categories competed in the 2026 edition, with 86 international sides, spanning 18 countries, four continents, and a record-breaking 44 girl teams.

Off the pitch, players and spectators were able to enjoy the City Village that played host to entertainment and activations supported by the club’s partners.

This included the e& Gaming Zone, Puma pop-up and Aldar’s showcase of Fahid Island, as well as performances from a DJ and visits from special guests, including tournament ambassador and Manchester City legend Nedum Onuoha, and event host FG.

Teams will compete for the Abu Dhabi Cup, and individual age-group winners will go into a prize draw for their team to win a trip to a City Football Group club, where they will train and watch the first team in action.

Simon Hewitt, tournament director, and director of Football Operations MENA, said the 2026 edition was a “landmark event.”

“It was the first time we had expanded the tournament to three days, and the reaction to that decision was incredible. Players were able to spend more time on the pitch, take in the incredible atmosphere of the City Village, and enjoy the sights and attractions of Abu Dhabi.

“We might only be a month removed from that tournament, but the hard work in preparing for 2027 starts now. Already, teams are asking when they can register, and we expect huge competition for places from all over the world.”