Egyptian pavilion at Expo 2020 Dubai attracts 500,000 visitors

Egypt’s pavilion takes visitors on a journey through time from the Pharaonic civilization of the past to the achievements of the present. (@Trade_Industry)
Short Url
Updated 25 December 2021
Follow

Egyptian pavilion at Expo 2020 Dubai attracts 500,000 visitors

  • This month, the pavilion held symposiums on the Arabic language, the Suez Canal, tourism, and higher education
  • Head of the Egyptian Commercial Office in Dubai: King of Sweden visited pavilion in December

CAIRO: Egyptian Minister of Trade and Industry Nevine Gamea said her country’s pavilion at Expo 2020 Dubai has so far attracted over half a million visitors since its opening in early October, making it among the most visited pavilions.

She added that the pavilion takes visitors on a journey through time from the Pharaonic civilization of the past to the achievements of the present and the vision of the future.

It includes reproductions of King Tutankhamun’s treasures, three royal coffins and a statue of Maat, the goddess associated with truth, justice, balance and righteousness in ancient Egypt.

Ashraf Hamdy, head of the Egyptian Commercial Office in Dubai, said the pavilion received high-profile visitors in December, including the king of Sweden and Sheikh Saif bin Zayed Al-Nahyan, deputy prime minister and interior minister of the UAE.




The pavilion received high-profile visitors in December, including the king of Sweden. (@Trade_Industry)

This month, the pavilion held symposiums on sustainable energy, innovation and entrepreneurship, the Arabic language, the Suez Canal, tourism, higher education and smart cities.


Israel police to deploy around Al-Aqsa for Ramadan, Palestinians report curbs

Updated 7 sec ago
Follow

Israel police to deploy around Al-Aqsa for Ramadan, Palestinians report curbs

  • The Al-Aqsa compound is a central symbol of Palestinian identity and also a frequent flashpoint

JERUSALEM: Israeli police said Monday that they would deploy in force around the Al?Aqsa Mosque during the Muslim holy month of Ramadan, which begins this week, as Palestinian officials accused Israel of imposing restrictions at the compound.
Over the course of the month of fasting and prayer, hundreds of thousands of Palestinians traditionally attend prayers at Al?Aqsa — Islam’s third-holiest site, located in east Jerusalem, which Israel captured in 1967 and later annexed.
Arad Braverman, a senior Jerusalem police officer, said forces would be deployed “day and night” across the compound, known to Jews as the Temple Mount, and in the surrounding area.
He said thousands of police would also be on duty for Friday prayers, which draw the largest crowds of Muslim worshippers.
Braverman said police had recommended issuing 10,000 permits for Palestinians from the occupied West Bank, who require special permission to enter Jerusalem.
He did not say whether age limits would apply, adding that the final number of people would be decided by the government.
The Palestinian Jerusalem Governorate said in a separate statement it had been informed that permits would again be restricted to men over 55 and women over 50, mirroring last year’s criteria.
It said Israeli authorities had blocked the Islamic Waqf — the Jordanian?run body administering the site — from carrying out routine preparations, including installing shade structures and setting up temporary medical clinics.
A Waqf source confirmed the restrictions and said 33 of its employees had been barred from entering the compound in the week before Ramadan.
The Al-Aqsa compound is a central symbol of Palestinian identity and also a frequent flashpoint.
Under long?standing arrangements, Jews may visit the compound — which they revere as the site of their second temple, destroyed by the Romans in 70 AD — but they are not permitted to pray there.
Israel says it is committed to maintaining this status quo, though Palestinians fear it is being eroded.
Braverman reiterated Monday that no changes were planned.
In recent years, a growing number of Jewish ultranationalists have challenged the prayer ban, including far?right politician Itamar Ben?Gvir, who prayed at the site while serving as national security minister in 2024 and 2025.