Yemen: 100 Houthis killed, vehicles destroyed in coalition air raids in Marib

1 / 2
Yemeni army reinforcements arrive on the southern front of Marib to join fighters loyal to Yemen’s government. (AFP file photo)
2 / 2
A picture taken from a Yemeni pro-government position shows smoke billowing during fighting with Houthis on the Al-Juba frontline south of Marib. (File/AFP)
Short Url
Updated 20 December 2021
Follow

Yemen: 100 Houthis killed, vehicles destroyed in coalition air raids in Marib

  • Iran’s ambassador in the Yemeni capital Sanaa departed the city on Saturday onboard an Iraqi medical aircraft
  • Movement’s spokesman said successful Iraqi mediation between Iran and Saudi Arabia led to the evacuation

AL-MUKALLA: The Arab coalition announced on Sunday that it had carried out 19 air raids over the past day, killing 100 Houthi fighters and destroying 14 military vehicles in Marib province.

On the ground, heavy fighting between government troops and Houthis broke out on Saturday and Sunday outside the city of Marib, local official and media reports said.

The heaviest fighting was recorded in Juba district, south of Marib, where the Houthis intensified attacks in a bid to overwhelm the government’s defenses on a strategic mountain range that overlooks parts of the city.

The Houthis failed to register any territorial gains on Sunday and were forced to retreat after suffering heavy losses, officials said.

Thousands of combatants and civilians have been killed since February when the Houthis renewed an offensive to seize control of the energy-rich city, the government’s last bastion in the north.

Separately, Iran’s ambassador in the Houthi-held Yemeni capital, Sanaa, departed the city on Saturday onboard an Iraqi medical aircraft, the movement’s spokesperson and local media said.

Mohammed Abdul Salam said that a successful Iraqi mediation between Iran and Saudi Arabia led to the medical evacuation of Hassan Erlo through Sanaa airport, denying media reports about tensions between the movement and Iran and rumors that he was wounded in airstrikes by the Arab coalition.

“An Iranian-Saudi understanding through Baghdad led to the evacuation of the the Iranian ambassador to Sanaa on an Iraqi plane due to his health condition,” Salam said on Twitter.

FASTFACT

The Houthis failed to register any territorial gains on Sunday and were forced to retreat after suffering heavy losses.

In Tehran, the Iranian Foreign Ministry said that its ambassador was flown back home after contracting COVID-19 during his stay in the capital.

The Wall Street Journal reported on Friday that the Houthis sent a request to the Arab coalition to permit the evacuation of the Iranian ambassador, a move that was interpreted as suggesting a possible rift between the Yemeni rebels and Iran.

Hassan Erlo, an officer in Iran’s Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps, traveled to Yemen in October last year and was later named as Iran’s ambassador to the Houthis.

Yemeni officials and experts believe that Erlo orchestrated the militia’s deadly offensive to capture the central city of Marib and also commanded other Iranian, Iraqi and Lebanese officers who provided the rebels with military guidance.


Iran FM in Geneva for second round of US talks

Updated 5 sec ago
Follow

Iran FM in Geneva for second round of US talks

GENEVA: Iran’s foreign minister has arrived in Geneva ahead of a second round of negotiations with the United States, Iranian state television said Monday, as Washington keeps up pressure on the Islamic republic.
According to Tehran, “indirect” Iran-US nuclear talks mediated by Oman will be held on Tuesday, although Washington has previously pushed for other topics to be discussed including Iran’s ballistic missiles and support for regional proxies.
Tehran and Washington restarted negotiations this month after previous talks collapsed when Israel launched an unprecedented bombing campaign against Iran last June.
Considerable uncertainty surrounds the fate of Iran’s stockpile of more than 400 kilogrammes of 60-percent enriched uranium that was last seen by nuclear watchdog inspectors in June.
“The foreign minister has arrived in Geneva at the head of a diplomatic and expert delegation to take part in the second round of nuclear negotiation,” Iran’s state-run IRIB wrote on its Telegram channel.
During his visit to Geneva, Abbas Araghchi is expected to hold talks with his Swiss and Omani counterparts as well as the head of the International Atomic Energy Agency, Rafael Grossi, and other international officials, Iran’s foreign ministry said.
Washington has dispatched Middle East envoy Steve Witkoff and President Donald Trump’s son-in-law Jared Kushner, the White House confirmed on Sunday.
The latest talks follow repeated threats from Trump of military action against Tehran, first over Iran’s deadly crackdown on anti-government protests, and then more recently over the country’s nuclear program.
The West fears the program is aimed at making a bomb, which Tehran denies.
On Friday, Trump said a change of government in Iran would be the “best thing that could happen,” as he sent a second aircraft carrier to the Middle East to ratchet up military pressure.
Iran’s deputy foreign minister told the BBC that Tehran would consider compromises on its uranium stockpile if Washington lifts sanctions that have crippled the Islamic republic’s economy.
“If we see the sincerity on their (American) part, I am sure we will be on a road to have an agreement,” said Majid Takht-Ravanchi.
Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu said on Sunday that any deal must involve the removal of all enriched uranium from Iran as well as Tehran’s ability to enrich more.
“There should be no enrichment capability... dismantle the equipment and the infrastructure that allows you to enrich in the first place,” he said during a speech in Jerusalem.

- ‘Viable’ deal -

On February 6, Araghchi led the Iranian delegation in indirect talks with Witkoff and Kushner in Muscat.
Switzerland has played a key role in diplomatic relations between Iran and the United States for decades.
It has represented US interests in Iran since Washington broke off relations with Tehran after the 1980 hostage crisis, a year after the Iranian revolution.
Iranian deputy foreign minister for economic diplomacy Hamid Ghanbari said Tehran was seeking a deal with the United States that would generate economic benefits for both countries, particularly in sectors such as aviation, mining and oil and gas, the Fars news agency reported.
“For the agreement to be viable, it is essential that the United States also be able to benefit from it in areas with strong and rapid economic return potential,” he was quoted as saying.