Pakistan again lifts ban, fourth so far, on China’s TikTok

Pakistani TikTokers film their skits in a park in Karachi, Pakistan, on August 11, 2020. (AN photo/File)
Short Url
Updated 20 November 2021
Follow

Pakistan again lifts ban, fourth so far, on China’s TikTok

  • South Asian nation first blocked TikTok in October 2020
  • App has been downloaded almost 39 million times in Pakistan

ISLAMABAD: Pakistan’s media regulating authority on Friday again lifted a ban on TikTok, this time after four months, following assurances from the popular Chinese video-sharing service that it would control the spread of indecent content. 
It was the fourth time in the past 15 months that Pakistan Telecommunication Authority imposed and lifted such a ban. 
Pakistan first blocked TikTok, which is very popular among Pakistani teens and young adults, in October 2020 over what it described as widespread complaints about allegedly “immoral, obscene and vulgar” content on the app. 
The regulatory agency said in a statement on Twitter that senior management of TikTok had assured it of its commitment to take necessary measures to control “unlawful content” in accordance with local laws and societal norms. 
“The company also assured that the users who are continuously involved in uploading unlawful content will be blocked from using the platform,” the Pakistan Telecommunication Authority (PTA) said. 
“Keeping in view the assurances, the Authority has decided to lift the ban on TiKToK forthwith.” 
The app, owned by China’s ByteDance, has been downloaded almost 39 million times in Pakistan. 
Pakistan, which has close relations with China, has been urging TikTok to develop an effective mechanism to control unlawful content. 
Over the years, Pakistan has also forwarded hundreds of complaints to Facebook and Twitter about content, alleging it is offensive and potentially insulting to Islam, which goes against Pakistani law. 
In 2008, Pakistan banned YouTube over videos depicting the Prophet Muhammad (PBUH). 


Babar Azam dropped for scoring too slowly, says Pakistan coach Hesson

Updated 20 February 2026
Follow

Babar Azam dropped for scoring too slowly, says Pakistan coach Hesson

  • Shaheen Shah Afridi was left out after conceding 101 runs in three matches
  • Pakistan will now face New Zealand in the opening match of the second phase

COLOMBO: Batting great Babar Azam was dropped for Pakistan’s final T20 World Cup group game against Namibia for scoring too slowly, said head coach Mike Hesson on Friday.

Azam, who is the highest run-scorer in T20 international history with 4,571 runs, was left out for the must-win game against Namibia as Pakistan racked up 199-3 and secured a place in the Super Eights by 102 runs.

The 2009 champions face New Zealand in Colombo on Saturday in the opening match of the second phase.

“I think Babar is well aware that his strike rate in the power play in the World Cup is less than 100 and that’s clearly not the role we think we need,” Hesson told reporters after Pakistan’s final practice session on Friday was washed out by rain.

Pakistan left out Azam for the same reason at last year’s Asia Cup and even after dismal showing in the Big Bash League, he was still selected for the T20 World Cup.

“We brought Babar back in for a specific role post the Asia Cup,” said Hesson.

“We’ve got plenty of other options who can come in and perform that role toward the end.

“Babar is actually the first to acknowledge that.

“He knows that he’s got a certain set of skills that the team requires and there are certain times where other players can perform that role more efficiently.”

Hesson also defended dropping pace spearhead Shaheen Shah Afridi after he conceded 101 runs in three matches, including 31 in two overs against India.

“We made a call that Salman Mirza was coming in for Shaheen, and he bowled incredibly well,” said Hesson.

“To be fair, he was probably really unlucky to not be playing the second and third games.”

Hesson was wary of Pakistan’s opponents on Saturday.

“New Zealand have played a huge amount in the subcontinent in recent times so we have to play at our best.”