WASHINGTON: US President Joe Biden and China’s Xi Jinping agreed during their virtual summit to work on organizing talks between the nuclear-armed nations on arms control, a senior White House official said Tuesday.
Biden and Xi met via teleconference for more than three hours late Monday (early Tuesday in Beijing) in a bid to ease tensions between the world’s top two economies and major geopolitical rivals.
“President Biden did raise with President Xi the need for a strategic stability set of conversations,” National Security Adviser Jake Sullivan told a conference, using an expression employed in diplomatic circles to indicate arms control.
“The two leaders agreed that we would look to begin to carry forward discussions,” he added, in comments made at the Brookings Institution think tank in Washington.
Sullivan, a top aide to Biden, had been asked about Beijing’s increasing military might.
The Pentagon recently confirmed that China in August carried out a test of a nuclear-capable hypersonic missile that would be difficult to defend against, and has said that Beijing is expanding its nuclear arsenal more quickly than anticipated.
While the United States and Russia have had a formal strategic stability dialogue since the days of the Cold War, producing several disarmament agreements, that is not the case between Washington and Beijing.
Biden’s predecessor Donald Trump repeatedly asked in vain that China be included in the US-Russian talks.
Biden, who took office in January, appears to be more interested in bilateral talks.
“That is not the same as what we have in the Russian context with the formal strategic stability dialogue that is far more mature, has a much deeper history to it,” Sullivan said.
“There’s less maturity to that in the US-China relationship, but the two leaders did discuss these issues and it is now incumbent on us to think about the most productive way to carry it forward from here.”
Biden, Xi agree to plan arms control talks: White House
https://arab.news/cnt4b
Biden, Xi agree to plan arms control talks: White House
- Biden and Xi met via teleconference for over 3 hours late Monday in a bid to ease tensions between the world's top two economies
- "President Biden did raise with President Xi the need for a strategic stability set of conversations," said National Security Advisor Jake Sullivan
South Africa police arrest Mugabe’s son after gardener shot
- A police spokeswoman declined to identify the suspects
- Several South African media outlets reported that one of them was Bellarmine Chatunga Mugabe
JOHANNESBURG: The youngest son of former Zimbabwean ruler Robert Mugabe has been arrested after a gardener was shot at his South Africa home on Thursday, media reported.
Police said they had detained two men on charges of attempted murder after the shooting in a wealthy suburb north of Johannesburg.
A police spokeswoman declined to identify the suspects but several South African media outlets reported that one of them was Bellarmine Chatunga Mugabe.
Photographs on the IOL News X feed showed pictures of Mugabe, 29, in handcuffs and being escorted by police.
He is the youngest son of Robert Mugabe, the late Zimbabwe president who was ousted in a 2017 military takeover after 37 years in power.
The gardener was in a critical condition, police said.
“The motive of the shooting is unknown at this stage and police investigations are underway,” Col. Dimakatso Nevhuhulwi said.
The former president’s two sons with Grace Mugabe, Robert Jr and Bellarmine, sometimes live in Johannesburg where they have a reputation for partying.
In 2019, Grace was accused of attacking an employee at the family home in Zimbabwe with a shoe in 2017.
Nicknamed “Gucci Grace” for her lavish lifestyle, she was also accused of assaulting a model with a power cable in Johannesburg the same year.
Robert Jr, 33, appeared in a Harare court in October last year charged with possession of cannabis, which he denies.










