Coalition airstrikes on Houthis in bid to end siege of Abedia

A grab from an AFPTV video shows smoke billowing while Yemeni pro-government fighters fire at positions of the Iran-backed Houthi militia in the strategic city of Marib. (File/AFP)
Short Url
Updated 13 October 2021
Follow

Coalition airstrikes on Houthis in bid to end siege of Abedia

  • Said Iranian-backed militia preventing entry for relief organizations and aid to besieged people

AL-MUKALLA: The Arab coalition in Yemen launched a new wave of airstrikes on Tuesday in an attempt to end the 20-day Houthi siege of Al-Abedia in the central province of Marib.

The coalition said its warplanes carried out 43 raids in 24 hours against Houthi military reinforcements and locations, killed more than 134 Houthis, and destroyed nine military vehicles.

The Iran-backed Houthis have been attacking Al-Abedia for nearly three weeks in an attempt to force local tribesmen and Yemeni government troops to surrender after failing to control the district militarily. Despite heavy shelling and ground attacks by the Houthis, the government forces have vowed to fight off the Houthi attempts to capture the district.

The coalition also accused the Houthis of obstructing the delivery of medication, food, and other life-saving supplies to more than 35,000 civilians trapped in the district.

On Monday, the coalition said more than 400 Houthis had been killed in dozens of airstrikes that thwarted the militia’s incursions into the district. The Yemeni Defense Ministry said heavy fighting between government troops and the Houthis erupted in key fronts south of Marib as coalition warplanes destroyed a number of Houthi military vehicles.

Yemeni government forces also attacked the Houthis in Al-Kasara, west of Marib, the ministry said.

Foreign Minister Ahmad Awad bin Mubarak urged the International Committee of the Red Cross to rescue thousands of besieged civilians in Al-Abedia.


Lawyers in Sanaa face Houthi repression: report

Updated 6 sec ago
Follow

Lawyers in Sanaa face Houthi repression: report

  • Claims of arbitrary arrests and detentions, direct threats
  • 159 Houthi violations in 2025, 88 in 2024, 135 in 2023

DUBAI: In Yemen, the Houthis are attacking lawyers, raising widespread concerns about the rule of law and state of the justice system, Asharq Al-Awsat reported on Tuesday.

“Recent reports from local human rights organizations have revealed a recurring pattern of systematic restrictions on the practice of (the) law profession, including arbitrary arrests, prolonged detentions, and direct threats,” according to Arab News’ sister publication.

The publication added that the situation “in Sanaa and other Houthi-controlled cities no longer provides a professional environment for lawyers who themselves are now subject to questioning or targeted for defending their clients, especially in cases of a political or human rights nature.”

The Daoo Foundation for Rights and Development organization have reported more than 382 Houthi violations against lawyers in Sanaa from January 2023 to December 2025.

These include arbitrary arrests, prolonged detention without legal justification, threats of murder and assault, preventing them from practicing law, and restrictions on the right to defense in cases of a political or human rights nature.

The report stated that there were 159 Houthi violations against lawyers in 2025, 88 in 2024 and 135 in 2023, which was described as a “systematic pattern.”

Local and international human rights organizations have called for urgent intervention to protect the legal practitioners in Yemen.

“Human rights activists believe that protecting lawyers is a prerequisite for maintaining any future reform or political path because the absence of an independent defense means the absence of justice itself,” Asharq Al-Awsat reported.