ISLAMABAD: The England and Wales Cricket Board (ECB) said on Monday it had “reluctantly” decided to withdraw its men’s and women’s teams from coming to Pakistan for games in October, as the chairman of the Pakistan Cricket Board (PCB) expressed dismay over England “failing” a member of the cricket fraternity.
The news comes just days after New Zealand Cricket said it was abandoning its series with Pakistan “following a New Zealand government security alert.”
“The ECB has a longstanding commitment to tour Pakistan as part of the Men’s Future Tours Programme in 2022,” the Board said in a statement. “Earlier this year, we agreed to play two additional T20 World Cup warm-up games in Pakistan in October, adding a short women’s tour with double headers alongside the men’s games.
“The ECB Board convened this weekend to discuss these extra England Women’s and Men’s games in Pakistan and we can confirm that the Board has reluctantly decided to withdraw both teams from the October trip.”
The Board said the Men’s T20 squad had already coped with a long period of operating in restricted coronavirus environments.
“We know there are increasing concerns about traveling to the region ... We believe that touring under these conditions will not be ideal preparation for the ICC Men’s T20 World Cup, where performing well remains a top priority for 2021.”
PCB chairman Ramiz Raja said he was disappointed by England’s decision.
“Disappointed with England, pulling out of their commitment,” he said on Twitter, adding: “Survive we will inshallah. A wake up call for Pak team to become the best team in the world for teams to line up to play them without making excuses.”
British high commissioner to Pakistan, Christian Turner, wrote on Twitter he was sad about the cancelled tour but "still looking forward to the full England tour in autumn 2022."