Family of murdered UK teen Abdirahim Mohamed ‘left to clean up his blood’

Abdirahim Mohamed, 18, was allegedly stabbed to death on Wednesday by a 58-year-old man. (Leicestershire Police)
Short Url
Updated 11 September 2021
Follow

Family of murdered UK teen Abdirahim Mohamed ‘left to clean up his blood’

  • 58-year-old man arrested as police issue ‘unreserved’ apology over handling of crime scene
  • Leicestershire Police assistant chief constable: ‘I have asked for an urgent inquiry into the circumstances’

LONDON: A man has been arrested on suspicion of murdering teenager Abdirahim Mohamed in the English city of Leicester, as questions remain over police conduct at the crime scene.

Local residents said the family of Mohamed, 18, were “left to clean up his blood” from the street after police had finished investigating the attack.

He was allegedly stabbed to death on Wednesday by the 58-year-old man, who is being held in police custody for questioning.

On the night of the attack police were called to the scene, but Mohamed died from his injuries hours after being found critically injured with multiple stab wounds.

His family said in a statement: “We are overwhelmed by the events of the last few days and cannot believe Abdirahim is gone. We’d like to be left alone at this time and ask for some privacy to grieve.”

A crowdfunding page established by Mohamed’s brother has so far raised more than £11,000 ($15,218).

Julia Debenham, Leicestershire Police assistant chief constable, issued an apology to family and residents over the complaints about police conduct.

“I want to apologize unreservedly to the family and friends of this young man, along with other members of the community involved in cleaning up blood from the road and pavement last night,” she said.

“This must have been extremely distressing. It is totally unacceptable that this mistake happened, and I have asked for an urgent inquiry into the circumstances.”


North Macedonia police arrest man accused of planning mass murder

Updated 21 February 2026
Follow

North Macedonia police arrest man accused of planning mass murder

  • Police said the suspect was inspired by the notorious Sandy Hook school massacre in December 2012
  • Police tracked the message to the village of Mala Recica, west of the capital Skopje

SKOPJE: A 20-year-old man was arrested in North Macedonia suspected of planning a mass murder, authorities said on Friday, after being tipped off by US intelligence.
Police said the suspect was inspired by the notorious Sandy Hook school massacre in December 2012, when a 20-year-old man killed 26 people including 20 children at a school in Connecticut.
FBI investigators spotted threats on the social app Discord in late January and informed the US embassy in Skopje which contacted the local authorities, police said in a statement.
“The suspect sent a serious threat that he was ready to carry out an attack with a firearm — an AK-47 automatic rifle... while saying that he had impaired mental health,” it said.
Police tracked the message to the village of Mala Recica, west of the capital Skopje, and arrested two people.
The police said the suspect was charged with terrorism, while another, aged 89, was charged with weapons and explosives offenses. Media reported that the second suspect was the young man’s grandfather.
During searches officers seized various firearms, state prosecutors said in a statement.
The police said the weapons included an AK-47, two handguns and hundreds of pieces of ammunition plus body armor, knives and electronics.
The prosecutors’ office said the suspect was remanded in custody for a month.