Fighting continues between Taliban and anti-Taliban group in Afghanistan's Panjshir province

National Resistance Front of Afghanistan (NRFA) forces in Panjshir Valley, northern Afghanistan, on September 3, 2021. (Photo courtesy: NRFA)
Short Url
Updated 04 September 2021
Follow

Fighting continues between Taliban and anti-Taliban group in Afghanistan's Panjshir province

  • Various Taliban sources told the media on Friday night they had seized the mountainous northern region
  • Seizing Panjshir, would give the Taliban complete control of Afghanistan, something they did not have when they ruled the country in 1996-2001

KABUL: Fighting continued between Taliban fighters and the National Resistance Front of Afghanistan (NRFA) in Panjshir Valley on Saturday, both sides confirmed, despite earlier announcements that Afghanistan's last major holdout against Taliban rule had fallen.

After sporadic fighting that started in mid-August, intense warfare in Panjshir began last week, as US forces officially completed their withdrawal and two-decade presence on Afghan soil.

Various Taliban sources told the media on Friday night they had seized the mountainous northern region following a multi-pronged attack that started a day earlier. But as deafening noise of celebratory gunfire resounded all over Kabul around midnight, leaders of Panjshir opposition denied the claim of their region's fall.

NRFA leaders Ahmad Massoud and Amrullah Saleh, who until the Taliban takeover of Kabul and collapse of the government two weeks ago served as Afghanistan's first vice president, took to social media to confirm they were still in Panjshir.

The Taliban also confirmed fighting was ongoing. Enamullah Samangani, member of the group's cultural commission, told Arab News that Taliban fighters were making territorial advances in the region.

"Still the war is on, our Mujahideen are in Panjshir and they are gaining ground, in recent clashes the enemy has suffered massive casualties," he said. "Soon we will have good news for the nation: Panjshir will be conquered and we will have a massive victory."

However, sources within the NRFA — which consists of thousands of fighters from regional militias and Afghanistan's former security forces — say it was the Taliban who suffered losses as they entered the Khawak Pass — one of the two gateways the mountainous region of Panjshir has to the outside world.




National Resistance Front of Afghanistan (NRFA) forces in Panjshir Valley, northern Afghanistan, on September 3, 2021. (Photo courtesy: NRFA)

An NRFA commander told Arab News Friday night's offensive on the valley was by the Red Unit — Taliban special forces.

"Taliban Red Unit, took the charge of last night's attack on Panjshir, but they were defeated," he said, citing heavy casualties among the Taliban and saying that 200 of their fighters had been captured.

Arab News could not independently verify the claims.

Panjshir Valley has reportedly been cut off by the Taliban who stopped movement to and from the region.

Abdul Rahman, a 54-year-old resident of Panjshir told Arab News he was trying to return home but was sent back to Charikar, the capital of neighboring Parwan province.

"Today we were looking to travel to Panjshir, but we were forced to return from Charikar, the center of Parwan, as the Taliban heard that we are traveling to Panjshir," he said.

Tucked into the Hindu Kush mountain range, some 150 kilometers north of Kabul, and accessible only through a narrow gorge, Panjshir has a long history of resistance. In the 1980s, the late commander Ahmad Shah Massoud — the father of the current resistance leader Massoud — defended the region from Soviet forces, which managed to seize many other parts of the country. In the 1990s, he led an offensive against the first Taliban regime. He was assassinated in 2001, weeks before the Taliban were ousted by a US-led invasion.

Seizing Panjshir, would give the Taliban complete control of Afghanistan, something they did not achieve when they first ruled the country between 1996 and 2001.


Bangladesh’s Yunus announces resignation, end of interim govt

Bangladesh’s interim leader Muhammad Yunus stepped down on February 16, 2026 in a farewell broadcast to the nation.
Updated 32 min 23 sec ago
Follow

Bangladesh’s Yunus announces resignation, end of interim govt

  • Yunus handed over power after congratulating the Bangladesh Nationalist Party and its leader Tarique Rahman

DHAKA: Bangladesh’s interim leader Muhammad Yunus stepped down on Monday in a farewell broadcast to the nation before handing over to an elected government.
“Today, the interim government is stepping down,” the 85-year-old Nobel Peace Prize winner said.
“But let the practice of democracy, freedom of speech, and fundamental rights that has begun not be halted.”
Yunus returned from self-imposed exile in August 2024, days after the iron-fisted government of Sheikh Hasina was overthrown by a student-led uprising and she fled by helicopter to India.
“That was the day of great liberation,” he said. “What a day of joy it was! Bangladeshis across the world shed tears of happiness. The youth of our country freed it from the grip of a demon.”
He has led Bangladesh as its “chief adviser” since, and now hands over power after congratulating the Bangladesh Nationalist Party (BNP) and its leader Tarique Rahman on a “landslide victory” in elections last week.
“The people, voters, political parties, and stakeholder institutions linked to the election have set a commendable example,” Yunus said.
“This election has set a benchmark for future elections.”
Rahman, 60, chief of the BNP and scion of one of the country’s most powerful political dynasties, will lead the South Asian nation of 170 million.
‘Rebuilt institutions’
Bangladeshi voters endorsed sweeping democratic reforms in a national referendum, a key pillar of Yunus’s post-uprising transition agenda, on the same day as the elections.
The lengthy document, known as the “July Charter” after the month when the uprising that toppled Hasina began, proposes term limits for prime ministers, the creation of an upper house of parliament, stronger presidential powers and greater judicial independence.
“We did not start from zero — we started from a deficit,” he said.
“Sweeping away the ruins, we rebuilt institutions and set the course for reforms.”
The referendum noted that approval would make the charter “binding on the parties that win” the election, obliging them to endorse it.
However, several parties raised questions before the vote, and the reforms will still require ratification by the new parliament.
The BNP alliance won 212 seats, compared with 77 for the Jamaat-e-Islami-led alliance, according to the Election Commission.
Jamaat chief Shafiqur Rahman conceded on Saturday, saying his party would “serve as a vigilant, principled, and peaceful opposition.”
Newly elected lawmakers are expected to be sworn in on Tuesday, after which Tarique Rahman is set to become Bangladesh’s next prime minister.
Police records show that political clashes during the campaign period killed five people and injured more than 600.
However, despite weeks of turbulence ahead of the polls, voting day passed without major unrest and the country has responded to the results with relative calm.