Flights carrying Russian tourists to Egypt to be increased

Russian tourists arrive at Sharm El-Sheikh airport, after the lifting of an almost six-year ban on direct flights following the bombing of an airliner, which killed everyone on board in 2015, Aug. 9, 2021. (Reuters)
Short Url
Updated 21 August 2021
Follow

Flights carrying Russian tourists to Egypt to be increased

  • Egypt’s Ambassador to Russia Ihab Nasr: We in Egypt warmly welcome the return of Russian tourists to Hurghada and Sharm El-Sheikh
  • Ihab Nasr: We are preparing for the next phase from Aug. 27, when there will be 30 flights from Moscow to Sharm El-Sheikh, and 30 flights to Hurghada, at the rate of 60 flights per week

CAIRO: Russian and Egyptian authorities have decided to increase the number of weekly tourist flights from Russia to the beach resorts of Sharm El-Sheikh and Hurghada.

“We in Egypt warmly welcome the return of Russian tourists to Hurghada and Sharm El-Sheikh,” said Ihab Nasr, Egypt’s ambassador to Russia.

“This is very important for residents and entrepreneurs, for the movement of trade between the two countries, and for everyone,” he added.

“We are preparing for the next phase, which starts from Aug. 27, when there will be 30 flights from Moscow to Sharm El-Sheikh, and 30 flights to Hurghada, at the rate of 60 flights per week,” the envoy said.

Nasr said that the resumption of regular flights would boost relations between Cairo and Moscow, and was important for the economies of the two countries “because tourism creates new job opportunities.”

Russia had earlier announced the resumption of flights to Egypt’s tourist destinations, starting from Aug. 9 — five flights per week for each route — after a six-year hiatus.

Direct flights between Egypt and Russia were halted in the fall of 2015 following a Daesh terrorist attack that downed a Russian passenger plane that was taking off from Sharm, killing all its passengers and crew.

Air traffic between Russia and Cairo Airport resumed in 2018, but the decision to stop charter flights from Russia to the Egyptian tourist resorts remained in force until the completion of a set of security requirements requested by Moscow.

Before the jet’s crash in Sinai, Egypt used to receive millions of Russian tourists annually. According to press reports, in 2015, Egypt received about 2.3 million tourists from Russia.


UN chief expresses deep concern over escalating Iran-US tensions

Updated 5 sec ago
Follow

UN chief expresses deep concern over escalating Iran-US tensions

UN Secretary-General Antonio Guterres has called for diplomatic engagement to resolve differences between the United States and Iran amid a surge in military activities and rhetoric across the Middle East, his spokesperson said on Friday.

“We are very concerned about the heightened rhetoric we’re seeing around the region by the heightened military activities, war games or just military, increased military, naval presence in the region. And we encourage both the United States and the Islamic Republic of Iran to continue to engage in diplomacy in order to settle the differences,” said Stephane Dujarric, the spokesperson for UN secretary-general.

The call for restraint follows a formal letter delivered on Thursday by Amir Saeid Iravani, Iran’s permanent representative to the UN, addressed to the Secretary-General and the President of the Security Council. Iravani emphasized that Iran is prepared to exercise its inherent right to self-defense under Article 51 of the UN Charter, promising a decisive and proportionate response to any military aggression.

Iravani further warned that in such a scenario, all bases, facilities, and assets belonging to hostile forces in the Middle East would constitute legitimate targets for Iranian defensive measures. The envoy added that the United States would bear full and direct responsibility for any unforeseen and uncontrollable consequences resulting from further provocations.