Egypt’s Giana Lotfy lands Olympic bronze in karate kumite semi

1 / 2
China's Yin Xiaoyan (L) competes against Egypt's Giana Lotfy in the women's kumite -61kg semi-final of the karate competition during the Tokyo 2020 Olympic Games at the Nippon Budokan in Tokyo on August 6, 2021. (AFP)
2 / 2
China's Yin Xiaoyan (L) competes against Egypt's Giana Lotfy in the women's kumite -61kg semi-final of the karate competition during the Tokyo 2020 Olympic Games at the Nippon Budokan in Tokyo on August 6, 2021. (AFP)
Short Url
Updated 06 August 2021
Follow

Egypt’s Giana Lotfy lands Olympic bronze in karate kumite semi

  • The 26-year-old from Cairo faced Xiaoyan Yin of China Women's Kumite -61kg category with the guarantee of at least a bronze
  • Karate made its Olympic debut in Tokyo 2020

DUBAI: Egypt’s Giana Lotfy claimed an Olympic bronze in karate after losing her semifinal bout to China’s Xiaoyan Yin at the Nippon Budokan Arena on Friday afternoon.

Lotfy, 26, came agonizingly close to beating Yin in the women’s kumite -61 kg class after the match finished 1-1, but lost the tie after the judges awarded the win to her opponent.

Yin later lost the final against Serbia’s Jovana Prekovic, who had beaten Turkey’s Merve Coban in the other semi.

Lotfy’s bronze was the first to be awarded in the women’s kumite -61 kg class, with karate only making its Olympic debut at Tokyo 2020.

The karate kumite competition does not have a bronze medal match for the semifinal losers, unlike some other Olympic disciplines, with both competitors sharing the honor of third place on the podium.

Lotfy started the Pool B competition by beating Alexandra Vanessa Grande Risco of Peru 2-0 in her first match on Friday morning and followed that up with a tight 2-1 win over Anita Serogina of Ukraine.

Lotfy was then completely dominant in her 5-0 win over the Moroccan Btissam Sadini. The final pool match against eventual gold medalist Prekovic finished 1-1, with the win awarded via senshu for the Serbian.

The results were enough to see her qualify from Pool B to for Friday afternoon’s semi and secure the bronze for Egypt.


Football star Neymar says he may retire by end of 2026

Updated 58 min 52 sec ago
Follow

Football star Neymar says he may retire by end of 2026

  • Brazil striker extended his contract with his childhood club Santos last month
  • Neymar ⁠remains doubtful for participation at the World Cup this year

Brazil striker Neymar, ‌who extended his contract with his childhood club Santos last month, said that he may retire by the end of the year.
The 34-year-old forward returned to his boyhood club Santos in January 2025 and played a key role in their survival in the Brazilian top flight, scoring five times in their last ‌five matches.
But Neymar, ‌who has struggled with ‌injuries ⁠in recent seasons, ⁠remains doubtful for participation at the World Cup this year.
“I don’t know what will happen from now on, I don’t know about next year,” he told Brazilian online channel Caze on Friday.
“It ⁠may be that when December comes, ‌I’ll want to ‌retire. I’m living year to year now.”
“This ‌year is a very important year, not ‌only for Santos, but also for the Brazilian national team, as it’s a World Cup year, and for me too,” Neymar said.
Neymar, ‌who recently underwent successful knee surgery, has scored 79 goals ⁠for ⁠Brazil, the highest by any player, but he has not featured for the national side since October 2023.
Brazil manager Carlo Ancelotti has made it clear over the past year that he will only include players who are fully fit for the World Cup, scheduled to take place from June 11 to July 19 in Canada, Mexico, and the United States.