Pakistani expats in Dubai welcome new call center for consular affairs

Staff at a newly launched call center of Pakistan's consulate general in Dubai are seen working at their desks on July 25, 2021. (Photo courtesy: Pakistan Consulate Dubai)
Short Url
Updated 26 July 2021
Follow

Pakistani expats in Dubai welcome new call center for consular affairs

  • Call center will serve over 1.4 million Pakistani expats living and working in Dubai, Sharjah, Ras Al-Khaimah, Umm Al-Quwain and Ajman
  • Operators say they receive on average 800 calls a day, mostly related to regulations in the UAE and document attestation

DUBAI: Pakistan's expats in the UAE welcomed on Sunday a new help center established by the country's consulate general in Dubai, as operators say they already receive hundreds of calls a day.

Available since July 18, the call center for Pakistanis in Dubai, Sharjah, Ras Al-Khaimah, Umm Al-Quwain and Ajman was officially inaugurated on Sunday.

Run by six trained operators, it will serve over 1.4 million Pakistani expats living and working in Dubai and the northern emirates, especially with queries related to processing documents and permits, Giyan Chand, acting consul general, said during the launch event.

"This idea has emerged because we used to receive hundreds of calls, but many calls used to drop because we were able to attend to only 200 to 250 calls," he told Arab News, adding that the help center's agents can during the calls simultaneously view the status of various applications and documents filed by the callers.  

Ahmad Shaikhani, president of the Pakistan Business Council in Dubai, said the initiative will greatly benefit the huge Pakistani community in Dubai.

“We encourage our people to use Pakistan Consulate facilities,” he told Arab News.

Dr. Feisal Ikram, president of Pakistan Association Dubai, also welcomed the new call center, saying that it would make a difference, especially now, during the pandemic.  

"It is not possible for everyone to be here physically, especially during COVID restrictions, so this initiative was badly needed," he said.

The help center receives on average 800 calls a day, one of its operators, Kiran Mehnaz, told Arab News.

She said most of the calls are related to regulations in the UAE and document attestation, which is a requirement for all those who seek to work in the Gulf country.

"Recently we received calls with regard to attestation of documents because it was a requirement by the UAE government," Mehnaz said.

The call center follows the consulate's digital initiative, the PakInDubai app that streamlines consular and welfare services for members of the Pakistani community. It provides access to the consulate's services such as document attestation, issuance of identity documents, transportation of the deceased, to information on services for foreign remittance card holders and legal advice.

The PakInDubai app is now available on the Google Play Store.

The call center currently operates from 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. UAE time, while a 24/7 helpline is going to be launched soon.  

The main exchange number is 04-3973600.


Sindh assembly passes resolution rejecting move to separate Karachi

Updated 21 February 2026
Follow

Sindh assembly passes resolution rejecting move to separate Karachi

  • Chief Minister Shah cites constitutional safeguards against altering provincial boundaries
  • Calls to separate Karachi intensified amid governance concerns after a mall fire last month

ISLAMABAD: The provincial assembly of Pakistan’s southern Sindh province on Saturday passed a resolution rejecting any move to separate Karachi, declaring its territorial integrity “non-negotiable” amid political calls to carve the city out as a separate administrative unit.

The resolution comes after fresh demands by the Muttahida Qaumi Movement (MQM) and other voices to grant Karachi provincial or federal status following governance challenges highlighted by the deadly Gul Plaza fire earlier this year that killed 80 people.

Karachi, Pakistan’s largest and most densely populated city, is the country’s main commercial hub and contributes a significant share to the national economy.

Chief Minister Syed Murad Ali Shah tabled the resolution in the assembly, condemning what he described as “divisive statements” about breaking up Sindh or detaching Karachi.

“The province that played a foundational role in the creation of Pakistan cannot allow the fragmentation of its own historic homeland,” Shah told lawmakers, adding that any attempt to divide Sindh or separate Karachi was contrary to the constitution and democratic norms.

Citing Article 239 of Pakistan’s 1973 Constitution, which requires the consent of not less than two-thirds of a provincial assembly to alter provincial boundaries, Shah said any such move could not proceed without the assembly’s approval.

“If any such move is attempted, it is this Assembly — by a two-thirds majority — that will decide,” he said.

The resolution reaffirmed that Karachi would “forever remain” an integral part of Sindh and directed the provincial government to forward the motion to the president, prime minister and parliamentary leadership for record.

Shah said the resolution was not aimed at anyone but referred to the shifting stance of MQM in the debate while warning that opposing the resolution would amount to supporting the division of Sindh.

The party has been a major political force in Karachi with a significant vote bank in the city and has frequently criticized Shah’s provincial administration over its governance of Pakistan’s largest metropolis.

Taha Ahmed Khan, a senior MQM leader, acknowledged that his party had “presented its demand openly on television channels with clear and logical arguments” to separate Karachi from Sindh.

“It is a purely constitutional debate,” he told Arab News by phone. “We are aware that the Pakistan Peoples Party, which rules the province, holds a two-thirds majority and that a new province cannot be created at this stage. But that does not mean new provinces can never be formed.”

Calls to alter Karachi’s status have periodically surfaced amid longstanding complaints over governance, infrastructure and administrative control in the megacity, though no formal proposal to redraw provincial boundaries has been introduced at the federal level.