Pakistan blames 'mechanical failure' for bus blast that killed 13, including nine Chinese

Rescue workers and onlookers gather around a wreck after a bus plunged into a ravine following a bomb explosion in Kohistan district of Khyber Pakhtunkhwa province on July 14, 2021. (AFP)
Short Url
Updated 15 July 2021
Follow

Pakistan blames 'mechanical failure' for bus blast that killed 13, including nine Chinese

  • The bus was carrying Chinese workers to a dam project in the northwestern Kohistan district, rescue work underway 
  • China asks Pakistan to ‘thoroughly’ investigate the incident, issues security and travel advisory for its citizens, companies and projects

KARACHI: Pakistan’s foreign office has said a blast on a bus that killed 13 passengers, among them nine Chinese nationals and two Pakistani soldiers, on Wednesday was the result of a mechanical failure, after China said it wanted Islamabad to “thoroughly” investigate the incident. 
The bus was carrying Chinese workers to a dam project in the northwestern Kohistan district, one of many such projects Chinese engineers and Pakistani construction workers have been working on for years as part of Beijing’s Belt and Road Initiative in the remote province of Khyber Pakhtunkhwa and elsewhere in Pakistan. 
“This morning a bus carrying Chinese workers in Khyber Pakhunkhwa Province, plunged into a ravine after a mechanical failure resulting in leakage of gas that caused a blast. Further investigations are underway,” the Pakistani foreign office said, extending condolences to the families of the Chinese and Pakistani workers who had died. 




 People stand next to a wreck after a bus plunged into a ravine following a bomb attack, which killed 12 people including 9 Chinese workers, in Kohistan district of Khyber Pakhtunkhwa province on July 14, 2021. (AFP) 

The Chinese embassy in Islamabad said in a statement it had “requested Pakistan to carry out rescue and treatment in the first place, and strengthen security protection for the Chinese citizens, institutions and projects in Pakistan, and investigate the incident thoroughly.”
Speaking to Arab News, a senior health official confirmed the number of dead and injured. 
“Fifty-one people have been brought to a local hospital and 13 of them are dead,” Dr. Taj Muhammad, the district health officer in Upper Kohistan, said. “Among the deceased, nine are Chinese nationals, two are FC [paramilitary frontier corp] personnel and two local residents.”
He said 27 out of the 38 injured people had been referred to Islamabad for medical treatment, with seven of them in critical condition.
A local policeman told Arab News helicopters had been dispatched to the site of the accident to carry out rescue works. 
“As of now, the nature of the incident remains unknown,” Muhammad Zahir, who works with the police, said.
Speaking to the media, Deputy Commissioner Kohistan, Arif Khan Yousafzai, also said it was too early to declare that the incident was caused by a blast:
“Police have reached the spot, the bomb disposal squad is also there and investigations are underway. We will be able to share factual position after investigations are completed.”
However, the Chinese Embassy in Pakistan reminded Chinese citizens, enterprises, and projects in Pakistan “to stay on alert, pay close attention to the local security situation, strengthen security protection, take strict precautions, and stop going out unless necessary.”
In April, a car bomb blast ripped through a luxury hotel’s parking area in the southwestern Pakistani city of Quetta, killing four people and wounding 11. It is believed that senior Chinese officials were staying at the hotel at the time of the attack.
In 2018, three suicide attackers stormed the Chinese consulate in the Pakistani city of Karachi amid a series of gunshots and an explosion but were killed before they could force their way in with a car packed with explosives.


Sindh assembly passes resolution rejecting move to separate Karachi

Updated 21 February 2026
Follow

Sindh assembly passes resolution rejecting move to separate Karachi

  • Chief Minister Shah cites constitutional safeguards against altering provincial boundaries
  • Calls to separate Karachi intensified amid governance concerns after a mall fire last month

ISLAMABAD: The provincial assembly of Pakistan’s southern Sindh province on Saturday passed a resolution rejecting any move to separate Karachi, declaring its territorial integrity “non-negotiable” amid political calls to carve the city out as a separate administrative unit.

The resolution comes after fresh demands by the Muttahida Qaumi Movement (MQM) and other voices to grant Karachi provincial or federal status following governance challenges highlighted by the deadly Gul Plaza fire earlier this year that killed 80 people.

Karachi, Pakistan’s largest and most densely populated city, is the country’s main commercial hub and contributes a significant share to the national economy.

Chief Minister Syed Murad Ali Shah tabled the resolution in the assembly, condemning what he described as “divisive statements” about breaking up Sindh or detaching Karachi.

“The province that played a foundational role in the creation of Pakistan cannot allow the fragmentation of its own historic homeland,” Shah told lawmakers, adding that any attempt to divide Sindh or separate Karachi was contrary to the constitution and democratic norms.

Citing Article 239 of Pakistan’s 1973 Constitution, which requires the consent of not less than two-thirds of a provincial assembly to alter provincial boundaries, Shah said any such move could not proceed without the assembly’s approval.

“If any such move is attempted, it is this Assembly — by a two-thirds majority — that will decide,” he said.

The resolution reaffirmed that Karachi would “forever remain” an integral part of Sindh and directed the provincial government to forward the motion to the president, prime minister and parliamentary leadership for record.

Shah said the resolution was not aimed at anyone but referred to the shifting stance of MQM in the debate while warning that opposing the resolution would amount to supporting the division of Sindh.

The party has been a major political force in Karachi with a significant vote bank in the city and has frequently criticized Shah’s provincial administration over its governance of Pakistan’s largest metropolis.

Taha Ahmed Khan, a senior MQM leader, acknowledged that his party had “presented its demand openly on television channels with clear and logical arguments” to separate Karachi from Sindh.

“It is a purely constitutional debate,” he told Arab News by phone. “We are aware that the Pakistan Peoples Party, which rules the province, holds a two-thirds majority and that a new province cannot be created at this stage. But that does not mean new provinces can never be formed.”

Calls to alter Karachi’s status have periodically surfaced amid longstanding complaints over governance, infrastructure and administrative control in the megacity, though no formal proposal to redraw provincial boundaries has been introduced at the federal level.