Pakistan closes Torkham border crossing with Afghanistan amid coronavirus surge

Laden Pakistani trucks are seen near Torkham, close to the Pakistan-Afghanistan border, on April 14, 2017. (AFP)
Short Url
Updated 07 July 2021
Follow

Pakistan closes Torkham border crossing with Afghanistan amid coronavirus surge

  • Interior minister says all types of departures and arrivals indefinitely shut at Torkham from July 6 
  • Afghanistan is battling a crippling third wave of infections with a steady surge in new cases in recent weeks

ISLAMABAD: Pakistan on Tuesday closed its main Torkham border crossing with Afghanistan amid a surge of COVID-19 cases in the war-battered neighboring country, the Pakistani interior ministry said. 

Afghanistan is battling a crippling third wave of infections, with a steady surge in new cases reported in recent weeks, putting intense strain on a country where millions already live in poverty and health resources are scarce.

From January 3, 2020 to July 5, 2021, Afghanistan has reported 125,937 confirmed cases of COVID-19 with 5,283 deaths. As of July 4, 2021, a total of 915,671 vaccine doses have been administered in the country.

Highways from the Afghan capital Kabul and the Pakistani capital Islamabad pass through Torkham, the main border crossing at the end of the Khyber Pass.

“On the advise of the NCOC [National Command and Operation Center] all types of immigration departure and arrival will be close from today [July 06] at Torkham Border till the fresh Guidelines of NCOC,” Interior Minister Sheikh Rashid Ahmed said in a tweet on Tuesday.

On Monday, the NCOC, Pakistan’s main pandemic response body, issued new protocols to facilitate approximately 3,000 students from Afghanistan studying in various institutions of Pakistan.

“Stringent protocols have been enforced which include return of positive cases back to Afghanistan, 10 days Compulsory quarantine at arrival and vaccinations at the end of quarantine period before joining their respective educational institutions,” an NCOC statement read.


Pakistan extends airspace ban on Indian aircraft until Mar. 23

Updated 5 sec ago
Follow

Pakistan extends airspace ban on Indian aircraft until Mar. 23

  • This marks the ninth extension of the ban, first imposed in April after heightened tensions over an attack in Indian-administered Kashmir
  • Restriction has forced Indian airlines to reroute their flights that resulted in increased fuel consumption, travel times and operating costs

ISLAMABAD: Pakistan has extended a ban on Indian-registered aircraft from using its airspace until late March, the Pakistan Airports Authority (PAA) said on Friday, prolonging restrictions that have disrupted flight routes for Indian airlines.

Pakistan first imposed the restriction on Apr. 23 last year as part of a series of tit-for-tat measures announced by both countries days after an attack in Indian-administered Kashmir. New Delhi blamed the attack that killed 26 tourists on Pakistan, Islamabad denied it.

Tensions had quickly escalated between the neighbors after India targeted several sites in Pakistan and Azad Kashmir, triggering four-day-long missile, drone and artillery exchanges before a the United States brokered a ceasefire took on May 10, 2025.

"Pakistan’s airspace will remain closed to all Indian military and civil registered aircraft until Mar. 23," the PAA said in a statement.

This marks the ninth extension of the ban that has forced Indian airlines to reroute international flights, increasing fuel consumption, travel times and operating costs.

Air India, which operates numerous flights to Europe and North America, is lobbying the Indian government to convince China to let it use a sensitive military airspace zone in Xinjiang to shorten routes as the financial toll from the ban on Indian carriers flying over Pakistan mounts, according to Reuters.