Premier League to donate 2,000 defibrillators to grassroots football

The Premier League said Friday it will donate automated external defibrillators (AED) to over 2,000 grassroots football sites in the wake of Denmark midfielder Christian Eriksen's cardiac arrest at Euro 2020. (Shutterstock)
Short Url
Updated 25 June 2021
Follow

Premier League to donate 2,000 defibrillators to grassroots football

  • Premier League will fund the provision of Automated External Defibrillators at thousands of grassroots football clubs and facilities
  • Each grant recipient will be required to have a person who has successfully completed a free online Sudden Cardiac Arrest course

LONDON: The Premier League announced on Friday it will donate automated external defibrillators to more than 2,000 grassroots football sites in the wake of Denmark midfielder Christian Eriksen’s cardiac arrest at Euro 2020.
Eriksen collapsed during his country’s match with Finland earlier this month and required immediate resuscitation on the pitch.
“The Premier League has today announced it will fund the provision of Automated External Defibrillators (AED) at thousands of grassroots football clubs and facilities, aimed at helping save the life of someone experiencing a sudden cardiac arrest,” the Premier League said in a statement.
“Together more than 2,000 sites will benefit from this investment, with the first 1,000 units delivered in time for the start of the 2021-22 season and the second batch expected in September.”
Each grant recipient will be required to have at least one person who has successfully completed a free online Sudden Cardiac Arrest course.
“The traumatic incident we all witnessed when Christian Eriksen collapsed during Euro 2020 brings into sharp focus the need for defibrillators to be more widely available across the football community,” said Premier League chief executive Richard Masters.
“The welfare of participants and all those involved in football is a priority and this fund will support many people using football facilities not just with the provision of devices but also the training required to use the equipment.
“Sadly, a sudden cardiac incident could happen anytime, anywhere, and we hope by enabling more facilities to have a device, it will make the difference in saving someone’s life.”
Fabrice Muamba was forced to retire after he suffered a cardiac arrest on the pitch for Bolton in 2012 and welcomed the new initiative.
“I know from personal experience the importance of having access to this type of medical equipment and how vital it is for someone’s survival after suffering from sudden cardiac arrest,” said Muamba.
“Educating people how to use defibrillators is crucial. I really hope the clubs and facilities will encourage as many coaches, players and staff to undertake the training provided and help create safe places to play the game we all love.”


Julian Quinones hat-trick keeps Al-Qadsiah title charge alive with win over Al-Okhdood

Updated 16 sec ago
Follow

Julian Quinones hat-trick keeps Al-Qadsiah title charge alive with win over Al-Okhdood

  • Al-Qadsiah moved to within three points of leaders Al-Hilal after a 4-2 victory over Al-Okhdood, with the table-toppers set to face Al-Ittihad on Saturday

DAMMAM: Al-Qadsiah continued their impressive run under Brendan Rodgers, recording a 10th win in 13 matches under the Northern Irishman with a thrilling victory on Matchday 23 of the Saudi Pro League.

The hosts started brightly and nearly took the lead inside the opening minute. Within 52 seconds, Nahitan Nandez fired two shots following a mistake from goalkeeper Samuel, but Mohanad Al-Qaydhi and Koray Gunter produced successive goal-line clearances to deny him.

Nandez threatened again in the seventh minute after a slick move down the left involving Christopher Bonsu Baah and Musab Al-Juwayr, but Samuel redeemed himself with a smart save.

The Brazilian goalkeeper endured a mixed evening. While he produced several key saves, a series of costly errors proved decisive.

Julian Quinones thought he had opened the scoring in the 13th minute after capitalising on a Samuel mistake, but the goal was ruled out for offside against Turki Al-Ammar in the build-up.

Samuel’s struggles continued in the 29th minute when he parried Quinones’ shot straight into the path of Mateo Retegui, though the Italian failed to convert from close range. Five minutes later, Retegui’s header slipped through the goalkeeper’s grasp, struck the crossbar and fell kindly for Quinones, who controlled the ball on his chest before finishing into the empty net.

Al-Okhdood responded within 10 minutes, as Christian Bassogog met Muath Faqihi’s cross with a low finish to level the score.

Al-Qadsiah reasserted control after the break, showing their determination to remain in touch with the title race. Five minutes into the second half, Waleed Al-Ahmed scored his first goal for the club, heading home a well-delivered cross from Nandez.

In the 73rd minute, Quinones brought up his 20th league goal of the season with a composed finish past Samuel.

Al-Okhdood provided a late scare when Abdulaziz Al-Hatila struck a long-range effort in the 86th minute that hit the crossbar, bounced down and crossed the line, with goal-line technology confirming the goal.

However, Al-Qadsiah responded almost immediately. Just 60 seconds later, Quinones completed his hat-trick to take his tally to 21 goals for the campaign and seal the win.

Elsewhere, Abdelrazzak Hamedallah and Yannick Carrasco inspired Al-Shabab to a 3-1 away victory over Damac in Nourredine Ben Zekri’s first match in charge. The Riyadh side moved seven points clear of the relegation zone.

Al-Taawoun’s difficult run continued with a 3-2 home defeat to Al-Fayha. The visitors led 2-0 after 52 minutes through goals from Yassine Benzia and Fashion Sakala, before Roger Martinez and Mohammed Al-Dossari struck twice in five minutes to draw Al-Taawoun level.

Sakala had the final say with an 89th-minute winner, lifting Al-Fayha to 10th place.

Saudi Pro League action resumes on Saturday, with Al-Nassr hosting Al-Hazem, Al-Khaleej welcoming NEOM and Al-Hilal facing Al-Ittihad in the Saudi Clasico. All matches kick off at 10:00pm under the league’s unified Ramadan schedule.