Saudi Arabia could consider mix-match second doses of coronavirus vaccine

More than 47.7 percent of Saudi Arabia’s population have received at least one dose. (AP)
Short Url
Updated 21 June 2021
Follow

Saudi Arabia could consider mix-match second doses of coronavirus vaccine

  • Many of Saudi Arabia’s regions have shown signs of stability and decline in cases

JEDDAH: Saudi Arabia could consider administering second doses from other vaccine manufacturers as soon as they are accredited in the Kingdom according to the Ministry of Health (MoH) spokesman.
At Sunday’s press conference, MoH spokesman Dr. Mohammed Al-Abd Al-Aly said that studies conducted in several countries have shown positive results, with more countries now applying the mix-match vaccine doses, including the US, Canada, Britain, the UAE and more.
Refuting claims about the depletion of the Oxford-AstraZeneca vaccine in the Kingdom, Al-Aly reassured the public that the vaccine is still available and is being administered. More than 16.6 million doses of the vaccine have been administered in the Kingdom so far, at a rate of 107,857 doses per day. More than 47.7 percent of Saudi Arabia’s population have received at least one dose.
The Kingdom reported 1,079 new cases, bringing the number of active cases in the country to 10,896, a decline of 149 cases in the past 24 hours.
“The rate at which the curve is going in the past few weeks have shown positive signs of stability,” said the MoH spokesman, adding: “Many of the Kingdom’s regions have shown signs of stability and decline in cases. We continue to encourage everyone to register for the vaccine as both vaccines and precautionary measures will help in overcoming this pandemic.”

FASTFACTS

474,191 Total cases

455,618 Recoveries

Most cases were registered in the Makkah region with 320, there were 216 cases in Riyadh and 206 cases in the Eastern Province. All other regions reported new case totals below 100, the Northern Borders reported six cases while Jouf reported only four.
The reports brought the total number of cases to 474,191 since the start of the spread of the coronavirus disease (COVID-19) in the Kingdom.
There were 1,214 new recoveries from COVID-19 in the last 24 hours. Most recoveries were registered in Jeddah with 187, Makkah followed with 150 and in Riyadh there were 138 recoveries. This has brought the total number of recoveries to 455,618. The Kingdom’s recovery rate is holding steady at 96 percent.
There were 20 new critical cases, bringing the total number of critical patients to 1,516. Fourteen people died in the last 24 hours, raising the overall death toll to 7,677. Some 84,652 PCR tests have been conducted via numerous testing hubs across the country. Clinics and treatment centers have been set up by the government to help thousands of people around the Kingdom in the fight against COVID-19. Through Sehhaty (my health) app the citizens have easy access to the Tetamman (rest assured) and Taakad (make sure) clinics, aimed at helping those who show symptoms and those who do not but believe they have been in contact with the virus.


Over 17,000 inspections conducted in Madinah ahead of Ramadan

Updated 45 min 26 sec ago
Follow

Over 17,000 inspections conducted in Madinah ahead of Ramadan

  • Ongoing operational plan involves more than 5,700 personnel, supported by over 1,230 pieces of equipment and machinery
  • Work is focusing on health and commercial inspection tours - raising compliance levels with regulatory requirements

RIYADH: The Ministry of Municipalities and Housing, represented by the Madinah Regional Municipality, has intensified field and operational preparations to improve service readiness and ensure uninterrupted services for visitors to the holy city during Ramadan, which began Wednesday.

The ongoing operational plan involves more than 5,700 personnel, supported by over 1,230 pieces of equipment and machinery, reflecting the scale of the preparations and the municipality’s capacity to manage the expected crowds and increased activity.

The work is focusing on health and commercial inspection tours, raising compliance levels with regulatory requirements, and boosting oversight of activities related to public health and food safety to ensure a safe and healthy environment, reported the Saudi Press Agency.

The ministry has conducted more than 13,000 inspections targeting health-related activities and nearly 4,000 covering commercial activities. 

In addition, 8,000 food and water samples are being collected to verify compliance with approved health standards, as part of an integrated inspection system based on precise performance indicators.

The ministry has enhanced the readiness of emergency teams by implementing 12 alternative plans to ensure rapid response to emergencies and the continued efficient delivery of municipal services during peak times through its executive arm, Madinah Municipality.