Syrian teenager suing Tommy Robinson seeks six-figure sum 

Far-right activist Stephen Yaxley-Lennon, who goes by the name Tommy Robinson, leaves the Old Bailey after his contempt of court charge was referred to the Attorney General, London, Oct. 23, 2018. (Reuters)
Short Url
Updated 27 April 2021
Follow

Syrian teenager suing Tommy Robinson seeks six-figure sum 

  • Jamal Hijazi suing British far-right activist for libel
  • Robinson claimed student attacked English girls at school

LONDON: A Syrian teenager suing British far-right activist Tommy Robinson for libel is seeking at least £150,000 ($208,000) in damages, the High Court has heard.

Robinson is being sued by 17-year-old Jamal Hijazi after he claimed that the student attacked English girls at school.

Hijazi was filmed being beaten at his school in Huddersfield, northern England, in October 2018. The video exploded online.

Robinson, who has represented himself at the trial, claimed in two separate videos posted on his Facebook page that Hijazi was “not innocent and he violently attacks young English girls in his school.” The videos received over 870,000 views.

Catrin Evans QC, representing Hijazi, told the court that there should be “substantial damages” of up to £190,000 for the teenager if his legal challenge is successful.

“In relation to the allegations which the defendant has sought to prove as substantially true, we suggest that he has not proved either of them,” she said.

Robinson, 38, told the court: “The media simply had zero interest in the other side of this story, the uncomfortable truth. I am far from perfect, however this case is not about me, as much as the claimant’s representatives would like to make me, my history or my views a focus of their attention.”

He defended himself as an independent citizen journalist, arguing: “My political beliefs are not on trial, it’s whether my reporting on publicly available information was a matter of truth or not.”

Providing evidence for Robinson’s case, student Charly Matthews, 18, claimed that Hijazi hit her in the back with a hockey stick. She told the court that the attack left her with long-term injuries.

Robinson said: “In order for this claimant to win this case, the court has to believe this young girl is a brazen liar.”

In one of the videos, Robinson claimed that Hijazi “beat a girl black and blue” in a gang and bit a student. Hijazi has denied these allegations.

Evans argued that Robinson suggested “that this is somehow a travesty of justice and that a white schoolboy has been scapegoated.”

She pointed out that although Robinson lacked evidence to back his claims, Hijazi had given “clear and consistent evidence.”

She added: “We do rely on the defendant’s agenda, which we say is an anti-Muslim one, which is why he waded into this. Jamal was the victim of that.

“Not only has the defendant sought to try and prove a case that he was never going to be able to do, but even in his closing submissions, he has continued to exacerbate the hurt and distress the claimant has experienced.

“These are allegations of criminal offenses or tantamount to criminal offenses, and it is quite clear that Jamal is the victim here.”


US Homeland Security to pause two key travel programs amid shutdown, Washington Post says

Updated 1 sec ago
Follow

US Homeland Security to pause two key travel programs amid shutdown, Washington Post says

  • DHS began a ‌partial ⁠shutdown last week ⁠after Republicans and Democrats failed to reach a deal on immigration enforcement reforms
‌The US Department of Homeland Security will temporarily suspend from Sunday its PreCheck and Global Entry programs that speed airport security checks for some travelers, the Washington Post said, due to a shutdown at much of the agency.
The halt in the programs run by the DHS will begin from 6 a.m. ET (1100 GMT), the newspaper cited an ‌agency spokesperson as ‌saying on Saturday.
DHS began a ‌partial ⁠shutdown last week ⁠after Republicans and Democrats failed to reach a deal on immigration enforcement reforms.
The pause in programs is among the emergency measures DHS is taking to redirect staffing more than a week after Congress failed to send ⁠it more money, the paper ‌said.
The agency is “making ‌tough but necessary workforce and resource decisions” and prioritizing ‌the “general traveling population” at entry points, the ‌paper cited Homeland Security Secretary Kristi Noem as saying in a statement.
Reuters could not immediately verify the report. The DHS did not immediately respond ‌to a request for comment.
TSA’s PreCheck program allows approved passengers through ⁠a dedicated, ⁠faster security lane at US airports and is designed to reduce wait times and streamline screening.
Global Entry expedites US customs and immigration clearance for pre-approved, low-risk international travelers entering the United States.
On Thursday, the Trump administration ordered the Federal Emergency Management Agency, a part of the DHS, to suspend the deployment of hundreds of aid workers to disaster-affected areas, due to the DHS shutdown.