11 dead, 98 injured as Egypt is hit by new train disaster

1 / 7
People gather at the site where a passenger train derailed injuring at least 100 people, near Banha, Qalyubia province, Egypt, Sunday, April 18, 2021. (AP)
2 / 7
People gather at the site where a passenger train derailed injuring at least 100 people, near Banha, Qalyubia province, Egypt, Sunday, April 18, 2021. (AP)
3 / 7
People gather at the site where a passenger train derailed injuring at least 100 people, near Banha, Qalyubia province, Egypt, Sunday, April 18, 2021. (AP)
4 / 7
Several people were hurt in Egypt after eight train carriages derailed in Qalioubia province on Sunday. (@qalyubiya)
5 / 7
Several people were hurt in Egypt after eight train carriages derailed in Qalioubia province on Sunday. (@qalyubiya)
6 / 7
Several people were hurt in Egypt after eight train carriages derailed in Qalioubia province on Sunday. (@qalyubiya)
7 / 7
Several people were hurt in Egypt after eight train carriages derailed in Qalioubia province on Sunday. (@qalyubiya)
Short Url
Updated 19 April 2021
Follow

11 dead, 98 injured as Egypt is hit by new train disaster

  • 58 ambulances rushed to the site and moved the injured to three hospitals in the province
  • Egyptian rail disasters are generally attributed to poor infrastructure and maintenance

CAIRO: At least 11 people were killed and nearly 100 injured in a train accident in Egypt on Sunday.

Four carriages of a train heading from Cairo to the Nile Delta city of Mansoura came off the tracks in Toukh, a small farming town in Qalioubia province about 40km north of the capital.

Saudi Arabia was among the first to express its sorrow after the tragedy. “The Kingdom expresses its sincere condolences and sympathy to the families of the victims, and to the Egyptian leadership, government and people, wishing the injured a speedy recovery,” the Foreign Ministry said.

Egypt’s Health Ministry said more than 50 ambulances took the injured to three hospitals in the province, and 14 people who sustained minor injuries were released from a hospital close to the accident site. Investigators had been sent to determine the accident’s cause, the ministry said.

Ashraf Raslan, the head of the railway authority, said an urgent technical committee had been formed to find out why the train derailed.

President Abdel Fattah El-Sisi also ordered the Egyptian military’s engineering authority to investigate the crash. The driver and other rail officials were detained for questioning.

Sunday’s train accident came three weeks after two passenger trains collided in the province of Sohag, killing at least 18 people and injuring 200 others, including children.

Prosecutors said they found that gross negligence by railway employees was behind the deadly March 25 crash, which caused public outcry across the country.

Fifteen people were injured this month when two train carriages derailed near Minya Al-Qamh city, about 70km north of Cairo.

In February 2019 an unmanned locomotive slammed into a barrier inside Cairo’s main Ramses railway station, causing a huge explosion and a fire that killed at least 25 people. That crash prompted the then-transportation minister to resign.

In August 2017, two passenger trains collided just outside the Mediterranean port city of Alexandria, killing 43 people. In 2016, at least 51 people were killed when two commuter trains collided near Cairo.

Egypt’s deadliest train crash was in 2002, when over 300 people were killed after a fire broke out in an overnight train traveling from Cairo to southern Egypt.

Egyptian rail disasters are generally attributed to poor infrastructure and maintenance, but Transport Minister Kamel El-Wazir — a former general named to the post after a deadly 2019 train collision — blamed the March crash on human error.

“We have a problem with the human element,” he said after the crash, and pledged to put in place an automated network by 2024.

The African Development Bank announced a $170 million loan this month to improve safety on Egypt’s rail network.

The bank said the money would be used “to enhance operational safety and to increase network capacity on national rail lines.”

It said: “The planned upgrades are expected to benefit low-income Egyptians, about 40 percent of the population, who rely on trains as an affordable mode of transport.”

 

(With AP)


Israel bars Al-Aqsa imam from entering mosque in Ramadan

Updated 4 sec ago
Follow

Israel bars Al-Aqsa imam from entering mosque in Ramadan

  • ‘This ban is a grave matter for us as our soul is tied to Al-Aqsa, Al-Aqsa is our life’

JERUSALEM: A senior imam of the Al-Aqsa Mosque in East Jerusalem said on Tuesday that Israeli authorities had barred him from entering the compound, just days before the start of the holy month of Ramadan.

“I have been barred from the mosque for a week, and the order can be renewed,” Sheikh Muhammad Al-Abbasi said.
He said he was not informed of the reason for the ban, which came into effect from Monday.

FASTFACT

A Waqf source said 33 of its employees had been barred from entering the compound in the week leading up to Ramadan.

“I had only returned to Al-Aqsa a month ago after spending a year in the hospital following a serious car accident,” Abbasi said. “This ban is a grave matter for us, as our soul is tied to Al-Aqsa. Al-Aqsa is our life.”
On Monday, Israeli police said they had recommended issuing 10,000 permits for Palestinians from the occupied West Bank, who require special permission to enter Jerusalem.
Arad Braverman, a senior Israeli police officer in occupied Jerusalem, said forces would be deployed “day and night” across the compound.
He said thousands of police would also be on duty for Friday prayers, which draw the largest crowds of Muslim worshippers.
The Palestinian Jerusalem Governorate said it had been informed that permits would again be restricted to men over 55 and women over 50, mirroring last year’s criteria.
It added that Israeli authorities had prevented the Islamic Waqf — the Jordanian-run body that administers the site — from carrying out routine preparations, including installing shade structures and setting up temporary medical clinics.
A Waqf source said 33 of its employees had been barred from entering the compound in the week leading up to Ramadan.
Under long-standing arrangements, Jews may visit the Al-Aqsa compound —  but they are not permitted to pray there.
Palestinians fear the status quo it is being eroded.
In a separate development, Israeli NGOs have raised the alarm over a settlement plan signed by the government which they say would mark the first expansion of Jerusalem’s borders into the occupied West Bank since 1967. Palestinians view East Jerusalem as the capital of their future state.
The proposal, published in early February but reported by Israeli media only on Monday, comes as international outrage mounts over creeping measures aimed at strengthening Israeli control over the West Bank.
Critics say these actions by the Israeli authorities are aimed at the de facto annexation of the Palestinian territory.
The planned development, announced by Israel’s Ministry of Construction and Housing, is formally a westward expansion of the Geva Binyamin, or Adam, settlement situated northeast of Jerusalem in the West Bank.
In a statement, the ministry said the development agreement included the construction of around 2,780 housing units for the settlement, with an investment of roughly $38.7 million.
But the area to be developed lies on the Jerusalem side of the separation barrier built by Israel in the early 2000s, while Geva Binyamin sits on the West Bank side of the barrier, and the two are separated by a road.
Israeli settlement watchdog Peace Now said there would be no “territorial or functional connection” between the area to be developed and the settlement.
“The new neighborhood will be integral to the city of Jerusalem,” Lior Amihai, Peace Now’s executive director, said.
“What is unique about that one is that it will be connected directly to Jerusalem, but it will be beyond the annexed municipal border. So it will be in complete West Bank territory, but just adjacent to Jerusalem,” he said.