Saudi Culture Ministry republishes works of French researcher

Logo of Saudi Ministry of Culture. (Supplied)
Short Url
Updated 07 April 2021
Follow

Saudi Culture Ministry republishes works of French researcher

  • Prof. Thierry Mauger began visiting the southern areas of the Kingdom at the beginning of 1979 and started recording even minor details of the cultural aspects of the region

RIYADH: Saudi Arabia’s Ministry of Culture’s Literature, Publishing and Translation Commission is set to republish the works of late French author Prof. Thierry Mauger.
Through his works, Mauger meticulously document aspects of culture and life in the southern region of the Kingdom during the 1980s.
Mauger’s republished works will be launched on Wednesday at a ceremony in Diriyah in the presence of a delegation from the French Embassy, officials of the Asir Development Authority and researchers.
The ceremony will include a dialogue session with Saudis who accompanied the late professor on his trips.
Mauger was widely respected researcher and ethnographer. He was a lover of the authentic Saudi culture. He began visiting the southern areas of the Kingdom at the beginning of 1979 and started recording even minor details of the cultural aspects of the region. He later moved to Asir where he devoted himself to studying the art and architecture of the area.
He documented the Kingdom’s rich heritage through 10,000 photographs that were published in books.
The commission aims to revive his works for the benefit of local and international researchers.


Saudi project clears 2,676 explosive devices in Yemen

Updated 22 February 2026
Follow

Saudi project clears 2,676 explosive devices in Yemen

  • Ousama Al-Gosaibi, Project Masam’s managing director, said the initiative had cleared a total of 544,187 mines since it began in 2018

RIYADH: Members of Saudi Arabia’s Project Masam removed 2,108 explosive devices from various regions of Yemen last week.

The total included 2,484 unexploded ordnances, 149 anti-tank mines, 17 anti-personnel mines and 26 improvised explosive devices, according to a recent report.

The explosives were planted indiscriminately and posed a threat to civilians, including children, women and the elderly.

The demining operations took place in Marib, Aden, Jouf, Shabwa, Taiz, Hodeidah, Lahij, Sanaa, Al-Bayda, Al-Dhale and Saada.

Ousama Al-Gosaibi, Project Masam’s managing director, said the initiative had cleared a total of 544,187 mines since it began in 2018.

Teams are tasked with clearing villages, roads and schools to facilitate the safe movement of civilians and delivery of humanitarian aid.

The project trains local demining engineers, provides them with modern equipment, and offers support to Yemenis injured by the devices.