Credit Suisse foresees $4.7bn charge over hedge fund default

Swiss investment bank Credit Suisse said it has suspended a share buyback program and reduced its dividend in the wake of the default. (Reuters/File)
Short Url
Updated 07 April 2021
Follow

Credit Suisse foresees $4.7bn charge over hedge fund default

  • The bank expects to report a loss of 900m francs for Q1

GENEVA: Swiss bank Credit Suisse on Tuesday announced the departure of two top executives and said it expects a one-time charge of 4.4 billion Swiss francs ($4.7 billion) in connection with a previously announced default of a US hedge fund on margin calls.

The Zurich-based bank said it provisionally expects to report a loss of 900 million francs for the first quarter — though final figures are still being worked out. Credit Suisse said it has suspended a share buyback program and reduced its dividend in the wake of the default.

“The significant loss in our prime services business relating to the failure of a US-based hedge fund is unacceptable,” CEO Thomas Gottstein said. “Serious lessons will be learned.”

The bank said it has launched two investigations “to be carried out by external parties,” and said Brian Chin, the head of Credit Suisse’s investment bank, and chief compliance and risk officer Lara Warner will leave the bank.

Credit Suisse didn’t identify the hedge fund or the other banks affected, or give other details of what happened. News reports identified the hedge fund as New York-based Archegos Capital Management, whose default also ensnared Japan’s Nomura.

The Financial Times reported last month that Archegos had large exposures to ViacomCBS and some Chinese technology stocks and was hit hard after a drop in shares of the US media group in March.

A margin call is triggered when investors borrow using their stock portfolio as collateral and have to make up the balance required by banks when the share prices fall and the collateral is worth less.


Closing Bell: Saudi main index closes in red at 10,947 

Updated 19 February 2026
Follow

Closing Bell: Saudi main index closes in red at 10,947 

RIYADH: Saudi Arabia’s Tadawul All Share Index dipped on Thursday, losing 208.20 points, or 1.87 percent, to close at 10,947.25. 

The total trading turnover of the benchmark index was SR4.80 billion ($1.28 billion), as 14 of the listed stocks advanced, while 253 retreated. 

The MSCI Tadawul Index decreased, down 25.35 points, or 1.69 percent, to close at 1,477.71. 

The Kingdom’s parallel market Nomu lost 217.90 points, or 0.92 percent, to close at 23,404.75. This came as 24 of the listed stocks advanced, while 43 retreated. 

The best-performing stock was Musharaka REIT Fund, with its share price up 2.12 percent to SR4.34. 

Other top performers included Al Hassan Ghazi Ibrahim Shaker Co., which saw its share price rise by 1.18 percent to SR17.20, and Saudi Industrial Export Co., which saw a 0.8 percent increase to SR2.51. 

On the downside, Abdullah Saad Mohammed Abo Moati for Bookstores Co. was among the day’s biggest decliners, with its share price falling 9.3 percent to SR39. 

National Medical Care Co. fell 8.98 percent to SR128.80, while National Co. for Learning and Education declined 6.35 percent to SR116.50. 

On the announcements front, Red Sea International said its subsidiary, the Fundamental Installation for Electric Work Co., has entered into a framework agreement with King Salman International Airport Development Co. 

In a Tadawul statement, the company noted that the agreement establishes the general terms and conditions for the execution of enabling works at the King Salman International Airport project in Riyadh.  

Under the 48-month contract, the scope of work includes the supply, installation, testing, and commissioning of all mechanical, electrical, and plumbing systems.  

Utilizing a re-measurement model, specific work orders will be issued on a call-off basis, with the final contract value to be determined upon the completion and measurement of actual quantities executed.  

The financial impact of this collaboration is expected to begin reflecting on the company’s statements starting in the first quarter of 2026, the statement said. 

The company’s share price reached SR23.05, marking a 2.45 percent decrease on the main market.