KSA’s Alfaisal University unveils its first solar car

The event was attended by Prof. Mohammed bin Ali Al-Hayaza, president of Alfaisal University, and Boeing representatives. (SPA)
Short Url
Updated 02 April 2021
Follow

KSA’s Alfaisal University unveils its first solar car

  • The car will be entered into international competitions and will be used in scientific research

JEDDAH: Alfaisal University’s College of Engineering on Thursday unveiled a solar- and electric-powered car, produced by a team from the university — led by Habib Farooq — in partnership with Boeing.

The event was attended by Prof. Mohammed bin Ali Al-Hayaza, president of Alfaisal University, and Boeing representatives.

“Students from the College of Electrical, Mechanical, Industrial, and Technical Engineering at the university have worked on this project for several years,” Al-Hayaza said in a statement. “The university has created the right environment and partnerships to complete the work to the fullest.”

The car will be entered into international competitions and will be used in scientific research, contributions that are in line with Saudi Vision 2030.

Prof. Mohammed bin Ali Al-Hayaza, president of Alfaisal University

Al-Hayaza said the car will be entered into international competitions and will be used in scientific research, contributions that are in line with Saudi Vision 2030.

Dr. Ahmed Oteafy, the assistant project supervisor at the College of Engineering, said the car can travel up to 2,500 kilometers on a single charge, at a speed of over 80 kilometers per hour.

“The materials were carefully selected, and the students worked on mechanical, electrical, and technical devices themselves to achieve the desired goal of making this car,” he said, adding that the university’s Scientific Research Center had also supported
the project.

The car will participate in the 2022 Comrades Ultra Marathon in Africa, Oteafy said.


Saudi project clears 2,676 explosive devices in Yemen

Updated 5 sec ago
Follow

Saudi project clears 2,676 explosive devices in Yemen

  • Ousama Al-Gosaibi, Project Masam’s managing director, said the initiative had cleared a total of 544,187 mines since it began in 2018

RIYADH: Members of Saudi Arabia’s Project Masam removed 2,108 explosive devices from various regions of Yemen last week.

The total included 2,484 unexploded ordnances, 149 anti-tank mines, 17 anti-personnel mines and 26 improvised explosive devices, according to a recent report.

The explosives were planted indiscriminately and posed a threat to civilians, including children, women and the elderly.

The demining operations took place in Marib, Aden, Jouf, Shabwa, Taiz, Hodeidah, Lahij, Sanaa, Al-Bayda, Al-Dhale and Saada.

Ousama Al-Gosaibi, Project Masam’s managing director, said the initiative had cleared a total of 544,187 mines since it began in 2018.

Teams are tasked with clearing villages, roads and schools to facilitate the safe movement of civilians and delivery of humanitarian aid.

The project trains local demining engineers, provides them with modern equipment, and offers support to Yemenis injured by the devices.