Crown Prince launches $3.2tn program to boost Saudi private sector

A handout picture provided by the Saudi Ministry of Sports on March 18, 2021, shows the circuit design for the Jeddah Street Circuit where the 2021 Saudi Arabian Grand Prix is planned to be held. (AFP/File)
Short Url
Updated 31 March 2021
Follow

Crown Prince launches $3.2tn program to boost Saudi private sector

  • New program for investment partnership with state

RIYADH: Saudi Arabia launched an ambitious 12 trillion riyal ($3.2 trillion) program on Tuesday to boost the role of the private sector in diversifying the economy, increasing resilience and supporting sustainable growth.

Under the new Shareek program, private sector businesses will be helped to invest 5 trillion riyals between now and 2030, along with 3 trillion riyals from the country's sovereign wealth fund, the Public Investment Fund (PIF), and 4 trillion riyals as part of a new national investment strategy, Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman said.

“Building a vibrant and prosperous private sector is one of the national priorities for the Kingdom, and that is why we are today inaugurating a new and more powerful era in terms of cooperation and partnership between the government and private sector,” the crown prince said.

“The new Shareek program will help the private sector create hundreds of thousands of new jobs and will boost the contribution of the private sector to GDP by up to 65 percent by the end of the decade as part of the goals of Vision 2030.”

The crown prince said the significance of the Shareek program was not limited to enhancing the private sector’s role in the sustainable growth of the national economy. “We see it as a long-term investment in the Kingdom’s future and prosperity, based on stronger collaboration between the public and private sectors.”

The program is expected to contribute to the continued progress of the Saudi economy's ranking among the largest global economies, with the goal of rising to 15th from its current position of 18th, alongside enhancing confidence in the Kingdom’s investment ecosystem.

Companies that qualify for participation in Shareek will work closely with the relevant government ministries to create tailored investment plans, which will then be fast-tracked to completion. Each project will be monitored to ensure it provided benefits in GDP contribution and job creation.

Saudi Finance Minister Mohammed Al-Jadaan said the program was “yet another way the government is working in partnership with the private sector to accelerate the sustainable growth of our economy in a balanced way that benefits the economy, the citizens and the companies involved.”

The new program was also welcomed on Tuesday by Kirill Dmitriev, chief executive of the Russian Direct Investment Fund, the country’s sovereign wealth fund. He said it was “an important initiative by the Kingdom to strengthen partnership with the private sector that will attract additional capital into the Saudi economy and ensure further growth and prosperity.”


Saudi project clears 2,676 explosive devices in Yemen

Updated 5 sec ago
Follow

Saudi project clears 2,676 explosive devices in Yemen

  • Ousama Al-Gosaibi, Project Masam’s managing director, said the initiative had cleared a total of 544,187 mines since it began in 2018

RIYADH: Members of Saudi Arabia’s Project Masam removed 2,108 explosive devices from various regions of Yemen last week.

The total included 2,484 unexploded ordnances, 149 anti-tank mines, 17 anti-personnel mines and 26 improvised explosive devices, according to a recent report.

The explosives were planted indiscriminately and posed a threat to civilians, including children, women and the elderly.

The demining operations took place in Marib, Aden, Jouf, Shabwa, Taiz, Hodeidah, Lahij, Sanaa, Al-Bayda, Al-Dhale and Saada.

Ousama Al-Gosaibi, Project Masam’s managing director, said the initiative had cleared a total of 544,187 mines since it began in 2018.

Teams are tasked with clearing villages, roads and schools to facilitate the safe movement of civilians and delivery of humanitarian aid.

The project trains local demining engineers, provides them with modern equipment, and offers support to Yemenis injured by the devices.