Some trying to exploit Suez Canal blockage, says Egyptian presidency

This satellite imagery released by Maxar Technologies shows the MV Ever Given container ship in the Suez Canal on the morning of March 28, 2021. (AFP)
Short Url
Updated 29 March 2021
Follow

Some trying to exploit Suez Canal blockage, says Egyptian presidency

  • The canal has witnessed the active transit of 18,000 ships last year with no accidents occurring at all

CAIRO: Some parties have been trying to exploit the blockage of the Suez Canal by a massive ship, according to the Egyptian presidency.

The country’s presidential spokesperson, Bassam Radi, said in a televised statement that the Suez Canal, the most important waterway for the movement of global trade, had witnessed the active transit of 18,000 ships last year with no accidents occurring at all.
Exploiting the blockage was a natural reaction and was being done only to promote the Cape of Good Hope or something else,
he said.
Radi added that the “Ever Given,” which is carrying the Panama flag, was one of the largest ships in the world with a length of about 400 meters, a width of 60 meters and a draft of 16 meters. He said that what had happened to the ship was “exceptional and fixing it is ongoing.”

HIGHLIGHT

Exploiting the blockage was a natural reaction and was being done only to promote the Cape of Good Hope or something else, says the country’s presidential spokesperson, Bassam Radi, said.

He explained that using the Cape of Good Hope may increase the vessel’s transit time by 10 to 14 days, an increase in over the transit time in the Suez Canal, and which, according to local newspaper Akhbar El Youm, required a greater period of operation, more salaries, more effort on ships, greater insurance risks and other problems.
Egyptian efforts were continuing to float the stricken ship, which has a carrying capacity of 224,0000 tons, after it ran aground last Tuesday in the Suez Canal during a sandstorm.
It blocked the waterway linking the Mediterranean with the Red Sea, through which more than 10 percent of global maritime trade passes through.


Family of Palestinian-American shot dead by Israeli settler demand accountability

Updated 21 February 2026
Follow

Family of Palestinian-American shot dead by Israeli settler demand accountability

  • Relatives say Abu Siyam was among about 30 residents from the village of Mukhmas who confronted armed settlers attempting to steal goats from the community

LONDON: The family of a 19-year-old Palestinian-American man reportedly shot dead by an Israeli settler in the occupied West Bank have demanded accountability, amid mounting scrutiny over a surge in settler violence and a lack of prosecutions.

Nasrallah Abu Siyam, a US citizen born in Philadelphia, was killed near the city of Ramallah on Wednesday, becoming at least the sixth American citizen to die in incidents involving Israeli settlers or soldiers in the territory in the past two years.

Relatives say Abu Siyam was among about 30 residents from the village of Mukhmas who confronted armed settlers attempting to steal goats from the community. Witnesses said that stones were thrown by both sides before settlers opened fire, wounding at least three villagers.

Abu Siyam was struck and later died of his injuries.

Abdulhamid Siyam, the victim’s cousin, said the killing reflected a wider pattern of impunity.

“A young man of 19 shot and killed in cold blood, and no responsibility,” he told the BBC. “Impunity completely.”

The US State Department said that it was aware of the death of a US citizen and was “carefully monitoring the situation,” while the Trump administration said that it stood ready to provide consular assistance.

The Israeli embassy in Washington said the incident was under review and that an operational inquiry “must be completed as soon as possible.”

A spokesperson for the Israeli Defense Forces said troops were deployed to the scene and used “riot dispersal means to restore order,” adding that no IDF gunfire was reported.

The military confirmed that the incident remained under review and said that a continued presence would be maintained in the area to prevent further unrest.

Palestinians and human rights organizations say such reviews rarely lead to criminal accountability, arguing that Israeli authorities routinely fail to prosecute settlers accused of violence.

A US embassy spokesperson later said that Washington “condemns this violence,” as international concern continues to grow over conditions in the occupied West Bank.

Palestinians and human rights groups say Israeli authorities routinely fail to investigate or prosecute settlers accused of violence against civilians.

Those concerns were echoed this week by the UN, which warned that Israel’s actions in the occupied West Bank may amount to ethnic cleansing.

A UN human rights office report on Thursday said that Israeli settlement expansion, settler attacks and military operations have increasingly displaced Palestinian communities, with dozens of villages reportedly emptied since the start of the Gaza war.

The report also criticized Israeli military tactics in the northern West Bank, saying that they resembled warfare and led to mass displacement, while noting abuses by Palestinian security forces, including the use of unnecessary lethal force and the intimidation of critics.

Neither Israel’s foreign ministry nor the Palestinian Authority has commented on the findings.