BEIJING: China is poised to ease border restrictions to allow some foreigners — including from the US, India and Pakistan — back in, provided they have taken a Chinese-made Covid-19 vaccine.
The country has been closed to most foreigners since last March to stem the spread of coronavirus which it has largely brought under control at home, stranding many foreigners with jobs and family inside China overseas.
But Chinese embassies in several countries have issued notices saying the country will open visa applications to select people who have taken a China-made jab.
The Chinese Embassy in the US said in a statement dated Monday that it would begin to process “visa applicants inoculated with Chinese Covid-19 vaccines.”
This would apply from this week to those visiting the Chinese mainland for work resumption, business travel, or for “humanitarian needs,” such as reuniting with family members.
Beijing is driving forward its inoculation plan for its vast domestic population with four domestically produced vaccines approved so far. But it has yet to approve any foreign-made jabs.
China has also shipped its vaccines overseas as it works to blunt foreign criticism of the initial spread of the virus from its shores.
The embassy statement said this applied to those who had either had two doses of the vaccine or a single-dose at least 14 days before applying for the visa.
Chinese embassies in other countries including India, Pakistan, the Philippines, Italy and Sri Lanka have published similar statements.
Those arriving in China will still have to face a gruelling quarantine of up to three weeks.
China’s vaccines have been rolled out in several countries around the world, including Turkey, Indonesia and Cambodia.
The Philippines received 600,000 vaccine doses from China two weeks ago, kickstarting its inoculation drive.
But they are not readily available everywhere, including in India or Sri Lanka.
And Beijing has struggled to gain international trust for its vaccine candidates, hindered by a lack of transparency on test results.
But Chinese companies are still set to export nearly 400 million doses of home-grown vaccines overseas, state media has reported.
China to issue visas to foreigners, including Pakistanis, who take Chinese vaccine
https://arab.news/ysdug
China to issue visas to foreigners, including Pakistanis, who take Chinese vaccine
- China has been closed to most foreigners since last March to stem the spread of coronavirus
- Chinese Embassy in US says will begin to process “visa applicants inoculated with Chinese Covid-19 vaccines“
Brook says a ‘shame’ if Pakistan players snubbed for Hundred
- The Hundred is England’s domestic white-ball cricket tournament featuring eight franchise teams
- Media reports say Indian-owned franchises may overlook Pakistani players at next month’s auction
KANDY: England captain Harry Brook said Saturday that it would be “a shame” if Pakistani players were shut out of England’s domestic white-ball Hundred competition by Indian-owned franchises.
Former England skipper Michael Vaughan on Friday urged the England and Wales Cricket Board (ECB) to “act fast” on BBC reports that Pakistani players will be “overlooked” in the player auction next month.
Ahead of England’s opening Super Eights clash against Sri Lanka in Kandy on Sunday, Brook — who will play for Indian-owned Sunrisers Leeds in the Hundred this year — was asked about the issue.
“Our main focus now is what’s coming up in the T20 World Cup. It’s not really any of our business, to be honest,” said Brook.
“But what I would say is Pakistan have been a great cricket nation for many years.”
Long-standing political tensions between India and Pakistan have led to the border rivals only playing each other in international cricket events.
Their Colombo showdown at the ongoing T20 World Cup only went ahead after Pakistan called off a threatened boycott.
“I think there’s about 50, 60 players in the auction, and it would be a shame to not see some of them in there,” said Brook.
“There’s some amazing cricketers and, yeah, and they bring some great crowds as well.
“So it would be a shame to not see some of the Pakistan players in there and make the tournament and competition even better.”
The newly renamed Sunrisers Leeds is owned by Indian conglomerate Sun Group, one of four of the eight Hundred franchises with connections to the Indian Premier League.
The others are Manchester Super Giants, Southern Brave and MI London.
It has been claimed that politics has also led to an effective ban on Pakistani players participating in the Indian Premier League since 2009.
The ECB has been unable to substantiate the BBC allegations, but former England captain Vaughan called for the governing body to investigate the issue thoroughly.
Vaughan referred to the ECB’s stated aim of cricket becoming the most inclusive sport in the country.
“The ECB need to act fast on this... they own the league and this should not be allowed to happen... the most inclusive sport in the country is not one that allows this to happen,” Vaughan posted on X.
An ECB spokesman said: “The Hundred welcomes men’s and women’s players from all over the world and we would expect the eight teams to reflect that.”
Only two Pakistan internationals — Mohammad Amir and Imad Wasim — appeared in last year’s Hundred, the final edition before new investors became involved.










