Pakistan permits pedestrian movement on Torkham border six days a week

A man walks past an empty bus terminal near the Pakistan-Afghanistan border in Torkham some 54 kms from Peshawar on March 16, 2020. (AFP/File)
Short Url
Updated 15 February 2021
Follow

Pakistan permits pedestrian movement on Torkham border six days a week

  • Officials say move expected to reduce waiting time for cross-border travelers to a significant extent
  • Follows Islamabad’s decision to extend Transit Trade Agreement with Kabul for another three months

ISLAMABAD: Pakistan on Monday allowed the resumption of pedestrian movement at the Torkham crossing with Kabul for six days a week, to ensure ease of travel and reduced waiting time for cross-border travelers, Prime Minister Imran Khan’s special representative for Afghanistan said.
“Torkham (border) crossing between Pakistan and Afghanistan is now open 6 days a week for the pedestrian traffic,” Mohammad Sadiq tweeted on Monday.
“It will reduce the waiting time for travelers on the border significantly. Facilities are being further improved to ensure ease of travel between the two countries,” he added.

Torkham is a major border crossing and the main trade link between the two neighboring countries, with several highways from capital cities Kabul and Islamabad passing through it.
Resumption of pedestrian movement at Torkham follows the extension of the Transit Trade Agreement for another three months, based on a request from Afghanistan, Sadiq said in a separate tweet on Sunday.
“We hope that negotiations on the new transit trade agreement will be concluded in 3 months. Economic diplomacy should lead bilateral relations bet the two states,” he wrote.

In recent months, Pakistan has taken steps to enhance bilateral trade with Afghanistan and facilitate transit trade activities.
In July last year, all main border crossings — at Chaman in Balochistan, and Torkham, Ghulam Khan, Angoor Adda and Kharlachi in Khyber Pakhtunkhwa — were reopened. Afghan overland exports to India through Pakistan’s Wagah border were allowed to resume on July 15, 2020.
The measures are a part of efforts by Pakistan’s government to reopen the economy, largely closed down in March last year over coronavirus fears.


Sindh assembly passes resolution rejecting move to separate Karachi

Updated 21 February 2026
Follow

Sindh assembly passes resolution rejecting move to separate Karachi

  • Chief Minister Shah cites constitutional safeguards against altering provincial boundaries
  • Calls to separate Karachi intensified amid governance concerns after a mall fire last month

ISLAMABAD: The provincial assembly of Pakistan’s southern Sindh province on Saturday passed a resolution rejecting any move to separate Karachi, declaring its territorial integrity “non-negotiable” amid political calls to carve the city out as a separate administrative unit.

The resolution comes after fresh demands by the Muttahida Qaumi Movement (MQM) and other voices to grant Karachi provincial or federal status following governance challenges highlighted by the deadly Gul Plaza fire earlier this year that killed 80 people.

Karachi, Pakistan’s largest and most densely populated city, is the country’s main commercial hub and contributes a significant share to the national economy.

Chief Minister Syed Murad Ali Shah tabled the resolution in the assembly, condemning what he described as “divisive statements” about breaking up Sindh or detaching Karachi.

“The province that played a foundational role in the creation of Pakistan cannot allow the fragmentation of its own historic homeland,” Shah told lawmakers, adding that any attempt to divide Sindh or separate Karachi was contrary to the constitution and democratic norms.

Citing Article 239 of Pakistan’s 1973 Constitution, which requires the consent of not less than two-thirds of a provincial assembly to alter provincial boundaries, Shah said any such move could not proceed without the assembly’s approval.

“If any such move is attempted, it is this Assembly — by a two-thirds majority — that will decide,” he said.

The resolution reaffirmed that Karachi would “forever remain” an integral part of Sindh and directed the provincial government to forward the motion to the president, prime minister and parliamentary leadership for record.

Shah said the resolution was not aimed at anyone but referred to the shifting stance of MQM in the debate while warning that opposing the resolution would amount to supporting the division of Sindh.

The party has been a major political force in Karachi with a significant vote bank in the city and has frequently criticized Shah’s provincial administration over its governance of Pakistan’s largest metropolis.

Taha Ahmed Khan, a senior MQM leader, acknowledged that his party had “presented its demand openly on television channels with clear and logical arguments” to separate Karachi from Sindh.

“It is a purely constitutional debate,” he told Arab News by phone. “We are aware that the Pakistan Peoples Party, which rules the province, holds a two-thirds majority and that a new province cannot be created at this stage. But that does not mean new provinces can never be formed.”

Calls to alter Karachi’s status have periodically surfaced amid longstanding complaints over governance, infrastructure and administrative control in the megacity, though no formal proposal to redraw provincial boundaries has been introduced at the federal level.