First Saudi grand prix moved to December

1 / 2
The first Saudi Arabian Grand Prix will take place in December. (Supplied)
2 / 2
The 2021 calendar for F1 has been revised and will now begin on March 28 with the Bahrain Grand Prix. (supplied)
Short Url
Updated 12 July 2021
Follow

First Saudi grand prix moved to December

JEDDAH: The Kingdom’s debut Formula 1 grand prix will take place in December after it was postponed a week as a result of the pandemic.

The first Saudi Arabian Grand Prix had been set for Nov. 26-28, but a new date was announced following the decision to postpone the start of this year’s season due to travel restrictions. The 2021 calendar for F1 has been revised and will now begin on March 28 with the Bahrain Grand Prix.

“We are still more than ten months away from lights out on the first ever Saudi Arabian Grand Prix and, while anticipation is already at fever pitch, I am sure Saudi Arabia’s passionate race fans can wait one week longer for the race that so many of us have already waited our whole lives for,” said Prince Khalid bin Sultan Al-Faisal, president of Saudi Automobile and Motorcycle Federation.

“We fully understand and agree with Formula 1’s decision to rework the 2021 season calendar. While the revision does mean changing the dates of our Jeddah street race, it doesn’t do anything to quell the excitement and expectation around what promises to be a thrilling Saudi Arabian Grand Prix held at the deciding end of the season.”

Meanwhile, Stefano Domenicali, president and CEO of Formula 1, said: “It has been a busy start to the year at Formula 1 and we are pleased to confirm that the number of races planned for the season remains unchanged.

“The global pandemic has not yet allowed life to return to normal, but we showed in 2020 that we can race safely.”

Saudi Arabia’s inaugural F1 race is the first in a long-term partnership between Formula 1 and the Saudi Automobile and Motorcycle Federation.

It will take place on Jeddah’s corniche along the Red Sea shore and bring with it a full weekend of live motorsport, entertainment and culture that promises to thrill Saudis and visitors alike.

 


Footballco launches new Riyadh studio to boost creator-led content boom

Updated 16 February 2026
Follow

Footballco launches new Riyadh studio to boost creator-led content boom

  • Football media company’s venture caters for its Arabic video-first brands
  • Footballco also plans to create in-studio formats for its fan-driven series, Yalla Fans, previously shot on location at football stadiums

RIYADH: Football media and culture company Footballco have opened a new production studio in Riyadh.

The move allows it to boost the volume of in-studio content created for its leading Arabic video-first football brands — Yalla Goal, Yalla Fans and Yalla Girl, as well as branded content for commercial partners.

The new studio complements Footballco’s Riyadh office, which opened in December 2024 as its Middle East headquarters. Footballco’s move to the city was driven by a desire to better serve clients in Saudi Arabia and to bring it closer to the country’s burgeoning football industry. The company now has 20 full-time staff in the Kingdom.

Footballco currently operates three video-first Arabic-language football brands in the region, all targeting Gen-Z and Gen-Alpha fans and fronted by experienced content creators. Yalla Goal combines spirited discussions, bold challenges and fun games, while Yalla Girl celebrates the growth of women’s football in Saudi Arabia and the region, with a focus on talent, personality, laughter and friendship. Footballco also plans to create in-studio formats for its fan-driven series, Yalla Fans, previously shot on location at football stadiums. 

The company’s decision to invest in creator-led, in-studio video formats is backed by its own research which found that, for young fans, brand partnerships with creators are seen as more valuable than official tournament partnerships.

Footballco’s new studio will increase the frequency of video content created for its channels, supported by two full-time hosts for Yalla Goal — Mohammed Bargat and Waleed Al-Shargi (better known as Shargi), who have a combined following of over 900,000 on their personal channels.

Andy Jackson, Footballco’s Middle East senior vice president, said: “With seven national teams from the region set to appear at the 2026 FIFA World Cup, eight if Iraq qualify through the play-offs, these new facilities and increasing video output sets our brands up for success at a time where we know there will be an unprecedented demand for fun, creator-led video content.

“We’re also excited to welcome both Bargat and Shargi to the team, with both having more than proved themselves as understanding how to create content that resonates with young fans and they are already familiar to our audiences.”

He added: “In December, our Arabic social channels generated over 1.7 billion video views, so we are building from an incredibly strong base to further cement our position as the clear market leader both in Saudi Arabia and the wider region. Our creator-led video formats have proved incredibly popular with brands, and this investment will see us able to offer a broader range of opportunities to our many commercial partners.”

While the World Cup this summer will see Footballco’s new studio in constant use, the company is also readying a slate of programming across Ramadan, with a 30-show spread culminating in an Eid special.

Taha Imani, Footballco’s head of video and social in the Middle East and North Africa region, said: “With YouTube becoming the number one place for fans to enjoy longform and short-form football content, and based on success across Footballco brands such as The Front Three in other markets, we’re expecting to grow at speed as we approach the World Cup giving fans exactly what they want from us on a daily basis.”