Lawyer seeks to free man acquitted in Daniel Pearl’s killing

Ahmed Omar Saeed Sheikh arrives at a court in Karachi, Pakistan, March 29, 2002. (AP Photo)
Short Url
Updated 06 January 2021
Follow

Lawyer seeks to free man acquitted in Daniel Pearl’s killing

  • Key suspect in Pearl’s murder remains in custody in a jail in the southern port city of Karachi, despite the acquittal
  • US acting attorney general says United States “stands ready” to take custody of Omar Sheikh to stand trial in America

ISLAMABAD: The lawyer for a Pakistani man convicted and later acquitted in the 2002 killing of American journalist Daniel Pearl said Wednesday that he will petition the Supreme Court to free his client.

Ahmed Omar Saeed Sheikh, the key suspect in Pearl’s slaying, remains in custody in a jail in the southern port city of Karachi, despite the acquittal. Pearl’s family and the Pakistani government have appealed the acquittal to the Supreme Court, which resumed its hearing this week. A decision is expected before the end of the month.

Sheikh’s lawyer, Mehmood A. Sheikh, has been trying to get his client, who has been on death row for 18 years, freed since the acquittal.

The lawyer told the Associated Press he was demanding freedom for Sheikh in line with an order issued last month by the Sindh High Court. The lawyer, who is not related to Sheikh, said he also wants three other co-accused suspects freed. Their lesser charges of aiding and abetting were also overturned.

Last month, the US warned it won’t allow Sheikh to escape justice. Acting US Attorney General Jeffery Rosen praised Pakistan for appealing the Sindh court’s order but said that if “those efforts do not succeed, the United States stands ready to take custody of Omar Sheikh to stand trial” in America.

The Pearl family lawyer, Faisal Siddiqi, said he will oppose the petition, adding he was confident Sheikh would not be freed.

“He will not be released,” said Siddiqi. “Omar Sheikh’s lawyer’s request has twice been denied.”

Sheikh was convicted of helping lure Pearl to a meeting in Karachi, during which he was kidnapped. Pearl was investigating the link between Pakistani militants and Richard C. Reid, 
dubbed the “Shoe Bomber” after trying to blow up a flight from Paris to Miami with explosives hidden in his shoes.

A gruesome video of Pearl’s beheading was sent to the US Consulate. The 38-year-old Wall Street Journal reporter from Encino, California was abducted Jan. 23, 2002. His body was later found in a shallow grave in a southern Karachi neighborhood.

Sheikh was sentenced to death and the others to life in prison for their role in the plot. The acquittal had stunned the US government, Pearl’s family and journalism advocacy groups.


Deadly explosions in northwest Pakistan kill three, wound over 20

Updated 7 sec ago
Follow

Deadly explosions in northwest Pakistan kill three, wound over 20

  • Unexploded mortar shell in Bajaur home kills one, injures nine including children
  • Motorcycle bomb near Bannu police station kills two, wounds 12 civilians

PESHAWAR: At least three people were killed and more than 20 others injured in two separate explosions in Pakistan’s northwestern Khyber Pakhtunkhwa province, officials said on Monday.

Pakistan has witnessed a steady rise in attacks in Khyber Pakhtunkhwa since the Taliban returned to power in Afghanistan in 2021, with most violence targeting police and security forces in former tribal districts along the border. 

Islamabad says the Tehreek-e-Taliban Pakistan (TTP) has reorganized across the frontier and operates from safe havens inside Afghanistan, a charge Kabul rejects, insisting it does not allow its territory to be used against other countries.

In the first incident, a senior police officer Anwar Zeb told Arab News a suspected mortar shell exploded in Salarzai, a remote town in Bajaur district, killing one person and injuring nine others.

“Initial reports indicated that children had found an unexploded mortar shell and brought it home, where it later detonated late Sunday evening,” he added.

Riaz Khan, media officer at Bajaur Rescue1122, said those injured in the blast included men, women and children.

“A rescue team was swiftly dispatched to the area to evacuate those dead and injured to the nearest medical facility,” he added.

In a separate incident, a remote-controlled bomb planted in a motorcycle exploded near Miryan Police Station in southern Bannu district, according to Aamir Khan, spokesman to Regional Police Officer.

“The explosive device had been installed in a motorcycle parked near shops in front of the police facility, killing two civilians while 12 others sustained injuries,” he added.

Security forces cordoned off the area immediately after the explosion and launched a search operation.

Investigations into both incidents are ongoing.