Pakistani health ministry officially confirms first two cases of UK coronavirus variant

A health official collects a swab sample from a man to test for the Covid-19 coronavirus inside a van along the roadside in Islamabad on November 26, 2020. (AFP)
Short Url
Updated 04 January 2021
Follow

Pakistani health ministry officially confirms first two cases of UK coronavirus variant

  • Last week, the ministry said it was evaluating five samples to confirm the presence of the new variant in Pakistan
  • Pakistan is among a slew of countries that closed their borders to Britain last month to keep out the UK strain

Islamabad: Pakistan’s federal ministry of health said on Monday samples of two people who recently returned from the United Kingdom had come out positive for a new coronavirus variant that is believed to be more transmissible.
Last week, the ministry said it was evaluating five samples – two at the National Institute of Health and three at the Aga Khan University hospital in Karachi – to confirm the presence of the new UK coronavirus variant in Pakistan. 
“This is in follow up to preliminary reports of the existence of this variant which have now been confirmed via whole-genome sequencing,” the ministry said, adding that two individuals who had visited the UK had caught the new variant. 
Since the emergence of the new coronavirus strain in the UK last month, the ministry has required all inbound passengers from the UK to be tested for the virus before embarking on their journey to Pakistan and again upon arrival. The new virus variant has been detected in 31 other countries so far. 
Pakistan is among a slew of nations that closed their borders to Britain last month. Others include India, Poland, Spain, Switzerland, Russia, Jordan and Hong Kong, which suspended travel for Britons after Prime Minister Boris Johnson warned that a mutated variant of the virus, up to 70% more transmissible, had been identified in the country. Saudi Arabia, Kuwait and Oman also closed their borders completely. 
Several other nations have suspended travel from Britain including France, Germany, Italy, the Netherlands, Austria, Ireland, Belgium, Israel and Canada — although scientists said the strain may already be circulating in countries with less advanced detection methods than the United Kingdom. 
Most scientists say the new variant has rapidly become the dominant strain in cases of COVID-19 in parts of southern England, and has been linked to an increase in hospitalization rates, especially in London and in the adjacent county of Kent. 
While it was first seen in Britain in September, by the week of December 9 in London, 62% of COVID-19 cases were due to the new variant, compared to 28% cases three weeks earlier. 


Tariq confident Pakistan can bounce back after India drubbing

Updated 6 sec ago
Follow

Tariq confident Pakistan can bounce back after India drubbing

  • Pakistan suffered 61-run defat at India’s hands, must beat Namibia on Wednesday to advance further 
  • Pakistan spinner Usman Tariq says team has worked on mistakes, has resolved not to repeat them

COLOMBO: Spinner Usman Tariq said Tuesday he was confident that Pakistan can bounce back from their T20 World Cup drubbing against India and seal qualification for the next round.

India’s 61-run romp means Pakistan must beat Namibia in their final match in Colombo on Wednesday to qualify for the Super Eights.

A defeat would eliminate Pakistan, who are third behind the USA on net run rate in Group A.

It would also leave an outside chance for the Netherlands to qualify, but they would need a big win over co-hosts India in Ahmedabad on Wednesday.

“Lifting the team is only difficult when you don’t work on your mistakes committed in the last game,” Tariq told reporters.

“We have worked on our mistakes so I think it will not be a tough task.

“We have a resolve not to commit the same mistakes again.”

Pakistan were criticized for asking India to bat then folding meekly for 114 in 18 overs chasing a stiff 176 target.

“We can feel their (fans’) disappointment because the match is watched by the whole nation,” Tariq said.

“So we feel their pain but I am sure when we play them (India) next we will put up a better show.”

Tariq dismissed rumors that batting star Babar Azam and pace spearhead Shaheen Shah Afridi could be dropped against Namibia after poor performances against India.

“Both Azam and Shaheen have won many matches for Pakistan so if they did not perform well in one game we should not write them off,” said Tariq.

Pakistan have faced Namibia only once before in a T20 international.

“Whoever we play we have the confidence to beat them and our goal is to play the final and win the cup which we will try our best to achieve.”

Namibia have lost all three of their group matches.