Hovland, Finau join stellar 2021 Saudi International field

US golf star Tony Finau confirmed for 2021 Saudi International. (Supplied)
Short Url
Updated 23 December 2020
Follow

Hovland, Finau join stellar 2021 Saudi International field

  • Hovland is undoubtedly the rising star of world golf

JEDDAH: Viktor Hovland and Tony Finau are the latest top-ranked international golf stars to confirm their entry in the third edition of the Saudi International powered by Softbank Investment Advisers.

The tournament is set to take place next year on Feb. 4-7 at the Royal Greens Golf & Country Club in King Abdullah Economic City.

Hovland is undoubtedly the rising star of world golf, and at 23 years old, he sits at a career high ranking of world No.14 following his second PGA Tour win earlier this month. Hovland, from Norway, turned professional in 2019 having finished as low amateur in both the 2019 Masters and the 2019 US Open and reaching the pinnacle of the Amateur World Rankings. His transition into the professional ranks has been equally as impressive, and he will make his debut in Saudi Arabia as he too joins the ranks of the European Ryder Cup hopefuls looking to secure their place at Whistling Straits.

Joining the star-studded European contingent announced last month are Martin Kaymer, Matt Wallace, Bernd Wiesberger and Danny Willett, Rafa Cabrera-Bello, Paul Casey, Tommy Fleetwood, Sergio Garcia, Tyrrell Hatton, Ian Poulter, Justin Rose, Henrik Stenson, Lee Westwood and defending champion Graeme McDowell.

Hovland said: “My first full year as a professional, even given all the COVID-related difficulties, has been really amazing. I would never have dreamed that I would already have two PGA Tour titles, and winning the Mayakoba Golf Classic was the perfect way to finish up the year. As a European, trying to get my first European Tour victory will definitely be high on my agenda for 2021, and of course, trying to win my place on the European Ryder Cup team. I’ve only played in about six European Tour events in total, so I am excited to add some into my schedule and the Saudi International has the most impressive field of players already confirmed, so I think it’s going to be a huge week.”

US Ryder Cup star and world No. 18 Tony Finau joins a strong list of US players flocking to the Kingdom, with world No. 1 and 2020 Masters champion Dustin Johnson, 2020 US Open champion Bryson DeChambeau, five-time major winner Phil Mickelson and 2018 Masters champion Patrick Reed already confirmed in the field.

“I was unable to make my debut in 2020, so I’m really looking forward to being there alongside an especially world-class field in February. I’ve heard nothing but positive things from my fellow players about their experiences at the tournament and their visit to the Kingdom. It should be a great week and I am excited to go,” said Finau.

With a lineup that looks set to ensure that the Saudi International will be one of the strongest events on the 2021 European Tour schedule, Golf Saudi is looking to build on the momentum of hosting two extremely successful weeks of Ladies European Tour events last month as interest and participation in golf continues to grow in the Kingdom.

Majed Al-Sorour, CEO of the Saudi Golf Federation and Golf Saudi, said: “We fully appreciate and endorse the strength and value the best players in the world create, and from the outset made it our mission to consistently attract the strongest fields for the Saudi International.

“2021 is another step on our journey of aligning Saudi Arabia with the highest-profile events in world golf. We continue to shine a light on our growing passion for the sport, but also the strategic measures being taken to ensure we develop a vibrant and sustainable golfing nation.

“Our partnership and relationship with professional golf and the world’s best players is a central tenet within our long-term investment plans. We can’t wait to welcome them to the Kingdom and to crown our third champion.”


Al-Ahli survive first-half scare to cruise to victory and tie Al-Hilal at the top of Saudi Pro League

Updated 20 February 2026
Follow

Al-Ahli survive first-half scare to cruise to victory and tie Al-Hilal at the top of Saudi Pro League

  • Al-Ahli draw level with league leaders Al-Hilal on 53 points after trailing 1-0 down at half-time
  • Al-Ettifaq and Al-Fateh play out seven-goal thriller in Dammam

DAMMAM: Matchday 23 kicked began with what ultimately became a comfortable victory for Al-Ahli over relegation-battling Al-Najma at home. However, the hosts endured a tough first 45 minutes, falling 1-0 behind and missing a penalty before scoring four in the second half against the 10-man visitors.

Al-Najma — fresh off their first victory in Saudi Pro League history when they beat Al-Kholood last week — arrived in Jeddah with confidence. Despite facing an in-form Al-Ahli, they controlled the tempo early on, forcing the hosts play on the back foot for much of the opening half hour.

The architect of Al-Najma’s bright start was Néstor El Maestro, returning to the Saudi Pro League for the first time in five years. After guiding the club to their first win in 21 matches, a result in Al-Ahli’s backyard would have provided the perfect reignite their survival bid.

El Maestro once said, “Life is too short to spend defending in a low block”, during his time at relegation-battling Göztepe in the Turkish Süper Lig in 2022. That philosophy defined Al-Najma’s bold approach against the reigning Asian Champions League Elite and Saudi Super Cup holders.

Initially, the strategy paid off. Davd Tijanić beat two Al-Ahli defenders with a deft move on the left flank in the 27th minute before releasing Lázaro, who finished past Édouard Mendy to hand the visitors a surprise lead.

Al-Ahli immediately pushed for an equaliser. Ivan Toney was brought down in the box in the 29th minute, only for the referee to wave away penalty appeals. Moments later, a handball inside Al-Najma’s area led to a lengthy VAR review and eventually a spot-kick for the hosts.

Toney, seeking his 21st goal of the campaign and boasting a perfect record from the spot for Al-Ahli, saw his penalty saved by Victor Braga. He pounced on the rebound, but Braga recovered to claim the ball and preserve the lead.

Braga continued to frustrate the hosts with several key saves before clashing into an opponent on the verge of half-time. The referee initially awarded a second penalty to Al-Ahli, but after a VAR review overturned the decision, Al-Najma went into the break still in front.

Al-Ahli knew a victory was essential on a pivotal weekend, with city rivals Al-Ittihad facing Al-Hilal in a clash that could influence the title race. Their response after the interval was swift, with Riyad Mahrez delivering a dipping cross that was met by Valentin Atangana, who headed in the equaliser.

Atangana was fouled ten minutes later, when Felippe Cardoso pushed him in the face. The Brazilian striker, already booked, received his marching orders from the referee.

With a numerical advantage, Al-Ahli asserted control. Roger Ibañez picked out Mahrez with a measured long pass over the top. The Algerian cushioned a first-time lay-off into Toney’s path, and the English striker finished clinically in the 69th minute.

Toney added his second of the evening — and 22nd of the season — in the 87th minute, meeting Matheus Gonçalves’ cross at the far post with a first-time finish. The Englishman completed his hat-trick in the fourth minute of stoppage time after Al-Najma conceded their second penalty of the night.

The win moves Al-Ahli level on points with Al-Hilal on 53 points, awaiting their game later this week. Meanwhile, El Maestro’s task with Al-Najma grows more difficult, as Al-Riyadh’s 2-0 victory over Al-Kholood in Qassim leaves Al-Najma eight points adrift of safety.

Elsewhere, Al-Ettifaq and Al-Fateh produced one of the season’s most entertaining encounters in an Eastern Province derby. Al-Ettifaq raced into a 3-0 lead inside 36 minutes, with goals from Khalid Al-Ghannam and Georginio Wijnaldum putting them firmly in control.

North African duo Mourad Batna and Sofiane Bendebka dragged Al-Fateh back into the contest with goals on either side of stoppage time in the first half. Madallah Al-Olayan restored Al-Ettifaq’s cushion in 48th minute, but Batna struck again in the 71st minute to set up a tense finale.

After seven goals in a back-and-forth thriller, Al-Ettifaq held on for a 4-3 victory in Dammam.

Saudi Pro League action resumes on Friday, with Al-Okhdood hosting Al-Qadsiah, Al-Taawoun welcoming Al-Fayha and Al-Shabab travelling to Khamis Mushait to face Damac. All games kick off at 10:00pm in the league’s unified Ramadan schedule.