Pompeo visits Abu Dhabi to build on momentum from Abraham Accords

1 / 2
US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo arrives in Abu Dhabi on Friday November 20, 2020. (@SecPompeo)
2 / 2
US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo arrives in Abu Dhabi on Friday November 20, 2020. (@SecPompeo)
Short Url
Updated 20 November 2020
Follow

Pompeo visits Abu Dhabi to build on momentum from Abraham Accords

  • Pompeo: We have made significant progress in advancing peace and security in the Middle East
  • The UAE agreed to normalize relations with Israel in a historic agreement in August

LONDON: US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo arrived in Abu Dhabi on Friday as part of a tour of the Middle East.

The Secretary of State said he looked forward to building on the “positive momentum” made from the Abraham Accords.

“We have made significant progress in advancing peace and security in the Middle East,” Pompeo tweeted. 

The UAE agreed to normalize relations with Israel in a historic agreement in August. Bahrain and Sudan followed suit soon afterwards. 

Previous to the agreement, Egypt and Jordan were the only two Arab countries that had formal diplomatic relations with Israel

Pompeo on Thursday became the first top American diplomat to visit a West Bank Jewish settlement and the disputed Golan Heights. His visit was condemned by the Palestinians and the Syrian government. 


Sudan slams Uganda for hosting RSF chief

Updated 11 sec ago
Follow

Sudan slams Uganda for hosting RSF chief

  • Sudan’s Foreign Ministry on Sunday criticized the meeting, saying the RSF’s atrocities had been “documented by the international community and condemned by regional organizations of which Uganda is a member”

KHARTOUM: Sudan’s government on Sunday criticized Kampala for hosting rival paramilitary chief Mohammed Hamdan Dagalo, slamming the reception he received from Uganda’s president as an “affront to humanity.”
Since April 2023, the Sudanese military, led by army chief Gen. Abdel Fattah Al-Burhan, has been at war with the paramilitary Rapid Support Forces, commanded by Gen. Al-Burhan’s former deputy, commonly known as Hemeti.
Dagalo on Friday met with Ugandan President Yoweri Museveni at Entebbe’s State House, a day after a United Nations probe found his forces had committed acts of genocide in Darfur.
Sudan’s Foreign Ministry on Sunday criticized the meeting, saying the RSF’s atrocities had been “documented by the international community and condemned by regional organizations of which Uganda is a member,” including the African Union and the Intergovernmental Authority on Development, or IGAD.
Dagalo, speaking during his visit, said he travelled to Uganda after President Museveni was approached by the Sudanese army seeking his mediation.
His visit came a week after Museveni hosted Malik Agar, Burhan’s deputy, in his ruling Transitional Sovereignty Council.
Addressing supporters on Friday, Dagalo called for Africa-led mediation.
“From the first day of the war, we said negotiations must be African. Peace should be made in Africa: IGAD and the African Union,” he told the gathering.
Friday’s meeting was the RSF commander’s second with Museveni. 
His first in December 2023 occurred during a regional tour, when analysts said Hemeti sought to bolster his legitimacy with African leaders.
He has since declared a rival administration in Darfur, which has received no international recognition.