UAE reports 1,064 coronavirus infections, one death

Tourists take photos with camels on the beach at Jumeirah Beach Residence in Dubai, UAE. (File/AP)
Short Url
Updated 13 October 2020
Follow

UAE reports 1,064 coronavirus infections, one death

  • Dubai Economy closed 1 business and issued 8 fines, 1 warning to others
  • Kuwait records 777 cases and 6 deaths, Oman reports 685 cases and 8 deaths

DUBAI: The UAE on Monday recorded 1,064 new COVID-19 cases and one death.
The Ministry of Health and Prevention said the total number of cases since the pandemic began has reached 107,293, while the death toll rose to 446.
The ministry also said 1,271 cases recovered from COVID-19 over the previous 24 hours, bringing the total to 98,555.
Dubai Economy closed a real estate office and issued fines to eight businesses and a warning to one shop for not adhering to anti-COVID-19 measures.
During daily inspection rounds, teams from Dubai Economy, in cooperation with Dubai Sports Council, fined five sports establishments over the weekend for failing to adhere to COVID-19 precautionary measures, while six others received warnings.
Dubai Health Authority announced that COVID-19 tests required for traveling could now be booked at some malls.
The UAE, with a population of around 9.9 million people, has conducted 10.8 million tests so far.
Meanwhile, Khalifa University of Science and Technology said a research team had developed an anti-viral eco-friendly face mask.

The scientists claim the “navamask” eliminates more than 99 percent of bacteria.
Elsewhere, Kuwait recorded 777 new COVID-19 cases, bringing the total to 111,893. The death toll reached 664 after six new fatalities were registered.

Oman’s health ministry confirmed 685 new cases and eight deaths, bringing the total to 106,575 and the death toll stands at 1,046.


In Bahrain, five deaths were reported, bringing the death toll to 280, while 334 new infected cases were confirmed.

 

 


Arab, Muslim countries slam US ambassador’s remarks on Israel’s right to Middle East land

Updated 22 February 2026
Follow

Arab, Muslim countries slam US ambassador’s remarks on Israel’s right to Middle East land

  • The backlash widened sharply on Sunday as more than a dozen Arab and Islamic governments issued a joint statement denouncing the US diplomat’s comments as “dangerous and inflammatory”

JERUSALEM: Arab and Islamic countries issued a joint condemnation on Sunday of remarks by US ambassador to Israel Mike Huckabee, who suggested Israel had a biblical right to a vast swath of the Middle East.
Huckabee, a former Baptist minister and a fervent Israel supporter, was speaking on the podcast of far-right commentator and Israel critic Tucker Carlson.
In an episode released Friday, Carlson pushed Huckabee on the meaning of a biblical verse sometimes interpreted as saying that Israel is entitled to the land between the river Nile in Egypt and the Euphrates in Syria and Iraq.
In response, Huckabee said: “It would be fine if they took it all.”
When pressed, however, he continued that Israel was “not asking to take all of that,” adding: “It was somewhat of a hyperbolic statement.”
The backlash widened sharply on Sunday as more than a dozen Arab and Islamic governments — alongside three major regional organizations — issued a joint statement denouncing the US diplomat’s comments as “dangerous and inflammatory.”
The statement, released by the United Arab Emirates’ foreign ministry, was signed by the UAE, Egypt, Jordan, Indonesia, Pakistan, Turkiye, Saudi Arabia, Qatar, Kuwait, Oman, Bahrain, Lebanon, Syria and the State of Palestine, as well as the Organization of Islamic Cooperation, the Arab League and the Gulf Cooperation Council.
They said the comments contravene the UN Charter and efforts to de-escalate the Gaza war and advance a political horizon for a comprehensive settlement.
Iran joined the chorus with its foreign ministry accusing Huckabee on X of revealing “American active complicity” in what it called Israel’s “expansionist wars of aggression” against Palestinians.
Earlier, several Arab states had issued unilateral condemnations.
Saudi Arabia described the ambassador’s words as “reckless” and “irresponsible,” while Jordan said it was “an assault on the sovereignty of the countries of the region.”
Kuwait decried what it called a “flagrant violation of the principles of international law,” while Oman said the comments “threatened the prospects for peace” and stability in the region.
Egypt’s foreign ministry reaffirmed “that Israel has no sovereignty over the occupied Palestinian territory or any other Arab lands.”
The Palestinian Authority said on X that Huckabee’s words “contradict US President Donald Trump’s rejection of (Israel) annexing the West Bank.”
On Saturday, Huckabee published two posts on X further clarifying his position on other topics touched upon in the interview, but did not address his remark about the biblical verse.
The speaker of the Israeli parliament, Amir Ohana, praised Huckabee on X for his general pro-Israel stance in the interview, and accused Carlson of “falsehoods and manipulations.”
Carlson has recently found himself facing accusations of antisemitism, particularly following a lengthy, uncritical interview with self-described white nationalist Nick Fuentes — a figure who has praised Hitler, denied the Holocaust and branded American Jews as disloyal.