Saudi Arabia records less than 500 new COVID-19 cases for first time in 5 months

Saudi Arabia announced 483 new cases of the coronavirus, the first time the number has been below the 500 mark since mid-April. (SPA)
Short Url
Updated 21 September 2020

Saudi Arabia records less than 500 new COVID-19 cases for first time in 5 months

  • The total number of recoveries in the Kingdom has increased to 310,439
  • The total number of deaths has increased to 4,485

JEDDAH: For the first time in more than five months, Saudi Arabia’s daily confirmed COVID-19 cases drop to below 500.
With the Kingdom’s national celebrations on Wednesday, the Ministry of Health’s spokesman, Dr. Mohammed Al-Abd Al-Aly, reminded residents to be vigilant, adding that “we didn’t take this decision to return carefully lightly. Countries that chose to resume (sectors) did so after conducting studies, research, and proofs all into consideration and strictly followed them,” he said in Sunday’s press conference.
“We witness the fruits of our labor today. All numbers indicate a huge improvement through everyone’s efforts,” he said.
Despite the low number of recorded cases, Al-Aly called for people not to resume activities and meetings without due care.

FASTFACT

The total number of cases in the Kingdom reached 329,754.

“We still see a number of people not abiding by the safety precautions. Though these numbers are limited, we do not want certain places to become an epicenter for the virus such as in some countries. We do not want to derail from our intended course.” He revised the safety precautions and added that people with any symptoms must quarantine themselves and decline any social invitation.
A total of 483 new cases of COVID-19 were recorded in the Kingdom on Sunday, meaning 329,754 people in Saudi Arabia had now contracted the disease. There were 14,830 active cases, 1,138 of them critical.
Critical cases have also dropped by 12 percent, from recording 2,500 cases that have been decreasing to less than 1,200 today.
A total of 1,009 new recovered cases were announced, taking the total number of recoveries to 310,439 while 27 new deaths had been reported, raising the death toll to 4,485.

Related


Saudi Arabia condemns caricatures disparaging Prophet Muhammad

Updated 27 October 2020

Saudi Arabia condemns caricatures disparaging Prophet Muhammad

  • The Kingdom condemned any terrorist act, regardless of its perpetrator, and called for intellectual and cultural freedom to promote respect, tolerance and peace

DUBAI: Saudi Arabia denounced the republication of offensive caricatures of Prophet Muhammad, state news agency SPA reported.
The Kingdom further condemned any terrorist act, regardless of its perpetrator, and called for intellectual and cultural freedom to promote respect, tolerance and peace.
French President Emmanuel Macron has vowed to take the fight to Islamist radicals after the Oct. 16 beheading of a history teacher, who had shown cartoons of the Prophet to pupils in a class discussion on free speech.
But a backlash against his comments saw protests in Muslim-majority countries over the weekend, with people burning pictures of Macron in Syria and residents setting fire to French flags in the Libyan capital of Tripoli.