Platini quizzed in Swiss investigation of $2M FIFA payment

Michel Platini arrives at Attorney General of Switzerland's office to face interrogation over a 2011 payment of 2 million Swiss francs. (AFP)
Short Url
Updated 31 August 2020
Follow

Platini quizzed in Swiss investigation of $2M FIFA payment

  • The former French football captain is suspected of being an accomplice to criminal mismanagement, misappropriation and an act of forgery
  • FIFA officials have been mired with corruption scandals since a 2015 investigation by Swiss authorities

BERN: Football great Michel Platini arrived at Switzerland’s federal prosecution office Monday morning to be questioned about a $2 million payment he received from FIFA in 2011.
Platini is formally a suspect because of the payment that led to his removal as president of European football body UEFA — and as a candidate to lead FIFA — when Swiss federal investigators revealed the allegation five years ago.
The 65-year-old ex-France captain is suspected of being an accomplice to criminal mismanagement, of misappropriation and an act of forgery, according to documents seen in June by The Associated Press.
Platini, a former FIFA vice president, did not comment on the case Monday when he walked into the prosecution headquarters.
Sepp Blatter, the 84-year-old former FIFA president who authorized Platini getting the money as deferred salary for work as his adviser a decade earlier, is due to be questioned Tuesday in Bern.
A criminal proceeding has been open against Blatter for the Platini payment since September 2015 when federal police questioned both men in an unannounced visit to FIFA offices in Zurich on the day they attended an executive committee meeting.
Both men were provisionally suspended from football, then banned by FIFA’s ethics committee. Blatter’s 18-year presidency of football's international governing body was ended by the case and his six-year ban runs until October next year.
Platini said he hoped to return to football when his four-year ban expired last October, months before he was made a criminal suspect. In 2015 he was described as “between a witness and an accused person” by Switzerland’s then-attorney general Michael Lauber.
Platini said in 2018 he was cleared of all suspicion in a letter from Swiss prosecutors.
The allegation was revived after a different prosecutor, Thomas Hildbrand, took charge of some cases in the sprawling investigation of alleged corruption in international football amid turmoil in the department.
Monday is also the last official day in office for Lauber, who was recused last year from FIFA investigations.
Lauber resigned in fallout from being disciplined over undocumented meetings with Gianni Infantino, the current FIFA president who became a candidate in 2015 only when his UEFA boss Platini was suspended. Lauber and Infantino now face investigation by a special prosecutor.
Both Platini and Blatter deny wrongdoing over the $2 million payment and neither has been charged. Blatter faces other allegations in Switzerland.
Platini submitted invoices to FIFA in January 2011 seeking payment for additional salary for advising in Blatter’s first presidential term, from 1998-2002.
FIFA paid Platini several weeks later during a FIFA presidential campaign won by Blatter after his opponent, Mohamed bin Hammam of Qatar, was implicated in bribing Caribbean voters. Platini’s UEFA had endorsed Blatter late in the campaign.
Five different courts and tribunals — including the FIFA ethics committee, the Court of Arbitration for Sport, Switzerland’s supreme court and the European Court of Human Rights — have ruled against Platini since 2015.


Footballco launches new Riyadh studio to boost creator-led content boom

Updated 16 February 2026
Follow

Footballco launches new Riyadh studio to boost creator-led content boom

  • Football media company’s venture caters for its Arabic video-first brands
  • Footballco also plans to create in-studio formats for its fan-driven series, Yalla Fans, previously shot on location at football stadiums

RIYADH: Football media and culture company Footballco have opened a new production studio in Riyadh.

The move allows it to boost the volume of in-studio content created for its leading Arabic video-first football brands — Yalla Goal, Yalla Fans and Yalla Girl, as well as branded content for commercial partners.

The new studio complements Footballco’s Riyadh office, which opened in December 2024 as its Middle East headquarters. Footballco’s move to the city was driven by a desire to better serve clients in Saudi Arabia and to bring it closer to the country’s burgeoning football industry. The company now has 20 full-time staff in the Kingdom.

Footballco currently operates three video-first Arabic-language football brands in the region, all targeting Gen-Z and Gen-Alpha fans and fronted by experienced content creators. Yalla Goal combines spirited discussions, bold challenges and fun games, while Yalla Girl celebrates the growth of women’s football in Saudi Arabia and the region, with a focus on talent, personality, laughter and friendship. Footballco also plans to create in-studio formats for its fan-driven series, Yalla Fans, previously shot on location at football stadiums. 

The company’s decision to invest in creator-led, in-studio video formats is backed by its own research which found that, for young fans, brand partnerships with creators are seen as more valuable than official tournament partnerships.

Footballco’s new studio will increase the frequency of video content created for its channels, supported by two full-time hosts for Yalla Goal — Mohammed Bargat and Waleed Al-Shargi (better known as Shargi), who have a combined following of over 900,000 on their personal channels.

Andy Jackson, Footballco’s Middle East senior vice president, said: “With seven national teams from the region set to appear at the 2026 FIFA World Cup, eight if Iraq qualify through the play-offs, these new facilities and increasing video output sets our brands up for success at a time where we know there will be an unprecedented demand for fun, creator-led video content.

“We’re also excited to welcome both Bargat and Shargi to the team, with both having more than proved themselves as understanding how to create content that resonates with young fans and they are already familiar to our audiences.”

He added: “In December, our Arabic social channels generated over 1.7 billion video views, so we are building from an incredibly strong base to further cement our position as the clear market leader both in Saudi Arabia and the wider region. Our creator-led video formats have proved incredibly popular with brands, and this investment will see us able to offer a broader range of opportunities to our many commercial partners.”

While the World Cup this summer will see Footballco’s new studio in constant use, the company is also readying a slate of programming across Ramadan, with a 30-show spread culminating in an Eid special.

Taha Imani, Footballco’s head of video and social in the Middle East and North Africa region, said: “With YouTube becoming the number one place for fans to enjoy longform and short-form football content, and based on success across Footballco brands such as The Front Three in other markets, we’re expecting to grow at speed as we approach the World Cup giving fans exactly what they want from us on a daily basis.”