Huawei suffers under US pressure

Huawei is one of China’s biggest international success stories, but has come under heavy fire from the US over accusations of espionage. (AP)
Short Url
Updated 21 August 2020
Follow

Huawei suffers under US pressure

  • Telecommunications giant, now the world’s biggest smartphone company, is the subject of suspicion in Washington
  • 1987 Huawei was founded in 1987 by former military engineer Ren Zhengfei

BEIJING: For nearly a decade, Huawei kept worldwide sales growing as Washington told US phone companies not to buy its network equipment and lobbied allies to reject China’s first global tech brand as a security threat.

Focusing on Europe, Asia, Africa and China’s booming market, Huawei became the biggest maker of switching gear and a major smartphone brand. As the White House cut off access to American components and Google’s popular music and other smartphone services, Huawei unveiled its own processor chips and app development. Last year’s sales rose 19 percent to $123 billion.

Now, Huawei is suffering as Washington intensifies a campaign to slam the door on access to foreign markets and components in its escalating feud with Beijing.

European and other phone carriers that bought Huawei gear are removing it from their networks. Huawei got a flicker of good news when it passed rivals Samsung and Apple as the No. 1 smartphone brand in June, but demand abroad is plunging.

“Huawei is losing market share quite dramatically outside China,” said industry analyst Paul Budde. “Their international position is most likely going to get worse rather than better.”

In the latest blow, the US Commerce Department this week confirmed rules announced in May that will bar non-American companies from using US technology to make processor chips and other components for Huawei without a government license.

The president of Huawei’s consumer business, Richard Yu, says it is running out of chips for smartphones. Yu said as of Sept. 15, contractors will be forced to stop making Kirin chips designed by Huawei’s engineers.

“This is a very big loss for us,” Yu said Aug. 8 at an industry conference, China Info 100.

Huawei heads a growing list of Chinese tech names the Trump administration is targeting as security risks in an initiative called Clean Networks. It wants countries to remove them as suppliers to telecom systems, undersea cables and app stores.

The White House has banned unspecified transactions with Chinese-owned platforms TikTok and WeChat, and is pressing TikTok’s owner to sell it. In June, the Pentagon added Huawei and surveillance firm HikVision to a list of companies it said were owned or controlled by the Communist Party’s (CCP) military wing. Last year, the Chinese owner of Grindr was ordered to sell the dating app.

Huawei is hardly finished. It says sales rose 13 percent to 454 billion yuan ($65 billion) in the first half of 2020. But after spending a decade and billions of dollars to become a leader in next-generation tech, the company faces the threat of being shut out of many major markets.

That is a setback for the CCP’s ambition to make China a global tech leader.

Western companies and consumers may also lose access to Huawei’s resources that can cost 30 percent less than that of rivals Ericsson and Nokia.

US, European and Japanese suppliers of processor chips and other technology stand to lose billions in sales to Huawei. “It doesn’t benefit any country to exclude Huawei,” said IDC’s Nikhil Batra.

Huawei, founded in 1987 by former military engineer Ren Zhengfei, denies it might help Beijing spy. Chinese officials complain Washington is whipping up phony security fears, without proof, to block a competitor to US tech companies.

The Trump administration is ramping up pressure on allies, including by threatening to withhold intelligence sharing if they allow Huawei into next-generation, or 5G, networks.

Huawei’s US market evaporated after the company and Chinese rival ZTE Corp. were declared security threats in 2012 by a congressional panel. Small, rural carriers still use Huawei’s lower-cost equipment, but Washington is prodding them to stop.

5G will expand networks supporting self-driving cars, factory robots, remote surgery and other futuristic applications. That makes 5G more intrusive and raises the cost of potential security breaches.

US officials say buying a 5G network from China is too risky because vendors need round-the-clock access for repairs and upgrades. Clean Networks cites Huawei as part of the CCP’s “surveillance state.”

“We call on all freedom-loving nations and companies to join the Clean Network,” said Secretary of State Mike Pompeo.

Last year, Huawei raced to remove American components from products after President Donald Trump blocked access to US processor chips and other tech, including Google services. 

The CCP has fought back by threatening unspecified consequences against countries that block Huawei’s market access.

After the latest sanctions, the foreign ministry called on Washington to “stop suppressing” Chinese companies.

“The more hysterical the US suppression of Huawei and other Chinese companies, the more it proves the success of these companies,” said a ministry spokesman, Zhao Lijian.

In Europe, which supplied one-quarter of Huawei’s 2019 sales, Germany and France are deciding what role it can play in 5G. The UK agreed in January to a limited presence but changed course in July and banned Huawei from its mobile networks.

British mobile carriers BT and Vodaphone are also removing Huawei from European networks.

Vodafone has warned that rolling out 5G in Europe could be delayed by up to five years if other governments imposes similar limits.

“It would be hugely disruptive,” CEO Nick Read said in February.

Australia has banned Huawei from 5G networks, and Japan and Taiwan are limiting use of its technology. US officials, meanwhile, are promoting “trusted suppliers” like Ericsson and Nokia, and say they may help Brazil and others pay for Western equipment to avoid using Huawei.


UAE’s residential real estate market to see softer home sales

Updated 21 February 2026
Follow

UAE’s residential real estate market to see softer home sales

  • Moody’s sees mild softening of prices over the next 12 - 8 months as rising completions add supply

RIYADH: The UAE’s residential real estate market is expected to see a modest decline in developer sales and a mild softening of prices over the next 12 to 18 months as rising completions add supply, Moody’s said.

Despite near-term easing, the credit ratings agency noted that developers are supported by strong revenue backlogs and solid financial positions, while regulatory measures have reduced banks’ exposure to the construction and property sectors, helping to preserve robust solvency and liquidity buffers across the financial system.

The broader trend is reflected in the UAE’s real estate market, which recorded a strong performance during the first three quarters of 2025, according to Markaz.

In Dubai, transaction values increased 28.3 percent year on year to 554.1 billion Emirati dirhams ($150.88 billion), while Abu Dhabi recorded total sales of 58 billion dirhams, up 75.8 percent year on year. The number of transactions in Abu Dhabi rose 42.3 percent to 15,800.

The report said: “After five years of extraordinary growth in the UAE’s residential real estate market, particularly in Dubai, we expect developer sales to decline modestly and some price softening over the next 12 to 18 months as rising completions add supply. 

“From 2026 to 2028, around 180,000 new units will be completed in Dubai, a significant increase from prior years that is likely to weigh on demand and slow price growth. 

“However, fundamentals remain supportive, underpinned by continued population growth and an influx of high-net-worth individuals. Rated developers’ credit quality will remain resilient, supported by strong revenue backlogs, front-loaded payment plans and solid financial positions.”

Munir Al-Daraawi, founder and CEO of Dubai-based Orla Properties, told Arab News the Moody’s report underscores what the firm is seeing on the ground, namely “a market that is successfully transitioning from a period of extraordinary growth to one of sustainable stability.”

He added: “While a mild softening of prices and a modest decline in sales are anticipated over the next 12 to 18 months, these are natural adjustments for a maturing global hub like Dubai.” 

Al-Daraawi believes the the projected delivery of 180,000 units between 2026 and 2028 is not a cause for concern, but “a reflection of the UAE’s long-term appeal to high-net-worth individuals and a growing population.”   

The CEO added: “The report rightly points out that fundamentals remain supportive, underpinned by Dubai’s 2040 Urban Master Plan and a significant influx of global talent.” 

He went on to note that the resilience of the sector is further bolstered by the solid financial positions of developers and the strong regulatory measures that have shielded the banking sector from excessive exposure.

“This creates a robust ecosystem where credit quality remains high, even as we navigate a more competitive landscape. For boutique and luxury-focused developers, the current environment emphasizes the importance of quality, execution, and strategic capital allocation — factors that will continue to define the UAE’s real estate success story,” said Al-Daraawi. 

The current environment emphasizes the importance of quality, execution, and strategic capital allocation.

Munir Al-Daraawi, Founder and CEO of Orla Properties

Riad Gohar, co-founder and CEO of BlackOak Real Estate, told Arab News that while Moody’s is correct to say that supply is rising, the conclusion of a broad slowdown ignores the structure of this current economic cycle.

He added: “First, this is not a debt-fueled market. Around 83 percent of Dubai residential transactions in 2024 and 2025 were non-mortgaged. That means the market is equity-driven, not credit-driven. When cycles are not built on leverage, corrections are typically shallow and segmented, not systemic. “

He added that the macroeconomic backdrop is stronger than in past cycles, driven by sustained non-oil gross domestic product increase, structural reforms, population growth, and capital inflows aligned with long-term national plans.

“Demand is not purely speculative; it is driven by migration, business formation, and wealth relocation,” the CEO said.

“Third, prime vs. non-prime must be separated. Any pressure from increased completions is more likely to affect marginal locations, not established prime areas supported by global HNWI inflows. Historically, prime assets in Dubai have shown resilience even during broader market pauses,” Gohar added.

He continued to clarify that for smaller developers, some may feel margin compression if sales moderate, but this becomes a consolidation phase, not a systemic risk.

“Banks’ real estate exposure has already declined to around 12 percent of total loans — from 19 percent in 2021 — and NPLs (non-performing loans) are low at 2.9 percent, meaning financial contagion risk is limited. Regulatory escrow structures and stricter oversight further reduce spillover,” the CEO said.

“We are in a capital-rich, cash-driven cycle, regulated market with strong GDP and population growth. If anything, weaker fringe players exiting would strengthen the core not destabilize it,” he said.

The Moody’s report highlighted that while most developers it rates will generate “substantial excess cash” over the next two to three years, there will be fewer opportunities to make significant investments, especially within the Dubai real estate market.

As well as prompting a shift toward corporate governance and, in particular, how developers deploy their rising liquidity, some firms are looking to diversify beyond their core business models.

“For instance, Binghatti has recently launched its first master-planned villa community, marking a departure from its historical focus on single-plot high-rise developments, as demand for villas continues to outperform that for apartments,” said the report.

It continued: “Others are looking beyond Dubai and the UAE for growth, whether through geographic diversification or expansion into unrelated sectors.

“For example, Damac’s owner, Hussain Sajwani, has announced significant planned investments in data center development across the US and Europe.

“Emaar continues to develop actively in Egypt and India and is evaluating potential entry into China and the US. Aldar has started development projects in the UK and Egypt, while Arada has begun building in Australia and the UK and Sobha is expanding into the US.”