US reaches 5 million confirmed coronavirus cases

In this March 25, 2020, file photo, patients wear personal protective equipment while maintaining social distancing as they wait in line for a COVID-19 test at Elmhurst Hospital Center, in New York. (AP)
Short Url
Updated 09 August 2020
Follow

US reaches 5 million confirmed coronavirus cases

  • The bleak milestone was reached as new cases in the US run at about 54,000 a day

ROME: The confirmed number of coronavirus cases in the US reached 5 million Sunday, by far the highest in the world, according to the tally kept by Johns Hopkins University.
However, health officials believe that for every reported case, there are roughly 10 times as many people infected, given the limits on testing and the large number of mild infections that have unreported or unrecognized.
The bleak milestone was reached as new cases in the US run at about 54,000 a day. While that’s down from a peak of well over 70,000 in the second half of July, cases are rising in nearly 20 states, and deaths are climbing in most. Many Americans have resisted wearing masks and social distancing.


South Korea says civilians sent drones to North Korea four times, harming ties

Updated 2 sec ago
Follow

South Korea says civilians sent drones to North Korea four times, harming ties

  • South Korea is investigating civilians for sending drones to North ‌Korea
  • North Korean leader’s sister Kim Yo Jong warns Seoul over drone provocations
SEOUL: South Korea’s Unification Minister Chung Dong-young said on Wednesday that three civilians had sent drones to North Korea on four occasions since President Lee Jae Myung took office last year, harming inter-Korean ties.
The trio flew the aircraft between September 2025 and January, Chung said, citing an ongoing investigation by police and the military. Drones crashed on two occasions in North Korea, in line with claims ‌made by ‌Pyongyang, he said.
On two other attempts the drones ‌returned ⁠to Paju, a border ⁠settlement in South Korea, after flying over Kaesong, a city in North Korea, Chung said.
South Korean authorities were investigating the three civilians on suspicion of violating the aviation safety act and breaching criminal law by benefiting the enemy, he said.
Some officials at South Korea’s military intelligence agency and the National Intelligence Service were also under investigation for alleged involvement with the ⁠trio, he said.
“We express official regret to the ‌North,” Chung said, adding that the government ‌was taking the drone incursion incidents very seriously.
North Korea has reacted angrily, saying ‌last month that drones from South Korea entered its airspace, after ‌another intrusion in September.
Kim Yo Jong, the powerful sister of North Korean leader Kim Jong Un, urged Seoul to investigate the incident, warning provocations could result in “terrible situations.”
Chung also expressed regret over South Korea sending 18 drones to North Korea under ‌the direction of ousted President Yoon Suk Yeol.
“It was an extremely dangerous incident aimed to induce an attack ⁠against South ⁠Korea by sending 18 drones on 11 occasions, to sensitive areas in North Korea including the airspace over the Workers’ Party office,” he said.
South Korean prosecutors have indicted Yoon, who was ousted in April 2025, on charges that include aiding an enemy state.
They accused him and his military commanders of ordering a covert drone operation into the North to raise tensions and justify his martial law decree.
Yoon denies wrongdoing.
South Korea’s government plans to strengthen penalties for sending drones to the North, Chung said, including up to a one-year jail term or a 10 million won ($6,928) fine.
A clause will also be added to South Korea’s inter-Korean relations development act to block actions that heighten tensions on the peninsula, he said.