Mbappe doubtful for Champions League with ankle sprain

Paris Saint-Germain’s 21-year-old star Kylian Mbappe sustained an injury on Friday from this challenge. (Reuters)
Short Url
Updated 26 July 2020

Mbappe doubtful for Champions League with ankle sprain

  • The news is a major blow for PSG with Mbappe out of next Friday’s French League Cup final

PARIS: Paris Saint-Germain’s Kylian Mbappe is doubtful for the Champions League after suffering a serious ankle injury in the French Cup final, the French champions announced on Saturday.

Mbappe hobbled off in the first half of Friday’s game after a dreadful tackle by Saint-Etienne captain Loic Perrin. And after tests PSG revealed that their 21-year-old star had “a sprained right ankle with significant ligament damage.”

The news is a major blow for PSG with Mbappe out of next Friday’s French League Cup final and unlikely to be fit in time for next month’s Champions League quarterfinal against Atalanta in Lisbon. He received lengthy treatment but was eventually substituted after the tackle which earned Perrin a red card.

“Everyone is worried. Everyone who saw the foul is worried. Of course I’m worried,” said PSG coach Thomas Tuchel after his team’s 1-0 win.

“It did crack a bit for sure,” Mbappe was heard on camera telling French President Emmanuel Macron who was attending the first competitive game in France since the coronavirus lockdown.

PSG face Lyon in the French League Cup final before resuming their European campaign in a straight knockout tournament at the Estadio da Luz on August 12.

Mbappe’s misfortune revived memories of the injuries that forced Neymar, scorer of Friday’s decisive goal, to miss Champions League last-16 ties in both 2018 and 2019.

Saint-Etienne boss Claude Puel admitted the forward was simply too quick for the 34-year-old Perrin.

“I hope it’s a minor injury for Kylian. The intention was to play the ball but it’s true that he was too fast,” said Puel.


Racing in the streets: Jeddah to host first Saudi F1 Grand Prix

Updated 29 October 2020

Racing in the streets: Jeddah to host first Saudi F1 Grand Prix

  • Kingdom’s inaugural race to take place in city while purpose-built track at Qiddiyah is being completed

JEDDAH: Saudi Arabia’s inaugural Formula 1 Grand Prix next year will take place on the city streets of Jeddah.
The Saudi Grand Prix appears on the provisional F1 calendar for 2021 that has been distributed to race teams. It is expected to be the penultimate race of the 2021 season, which will conclude
with the Abu Dhabi Grand Prix at the Yas Marina circuit.
Jeddah will host the Saudi race while a new purpose-built track at Qiddiyah is completed, which is expected to be in 2023.
It is one of 22 races on a provisional 2021 schedule as F1 plans to return to a calendar as close to normal as possible after this year’s disruption. The first 10 races of the 2020 season were either postponed or cancelled because of the coronavirus pandemic.

HIGHLIGHT

The Saudi Grand Prix is one of 22 races on a provisional 2021 schedule as F1 plans to return to a calendar as close to normal as possible after this year’s

The 2021 season will begin in Melbourne, Australia in mid-March and then goes on to Bahrain. It includes nearly all the races that had been due to be held this year.
That means a return for grands prix in China, Japan and Canada, which had to be cancelled because of the disruptions to international travel caused by COVID-19, as well as the debut of the Vietnamese Grand Prix.
F1 has been in conversations with the relevant national governments and all are said to be in agreement the races can take place, unless the pandemic worsens.
In 2018, Riyadh hosted the first Formula E championship in the Middle East in Diriyah with 23,000 in attendance. The second Formula E championship was held in late 2019.
This year, Saudi Arabia held its first Dakar Rally, a 7,800km race that began in Jeddah and finished in Qiddiyah.