Hajj 2020: Jail time and fines for transporting permitless pilgrims

Anyone trying to enter Hajj sites without permission would be severely penalized, the commander of the Hajj security forces said on Sunday. (File/AFP)
Short Url
Updated 20 July 2020
Follow

Hajj 2020: Jail time and fines for transporting permitless pilgrims

  • Tough security measures amid coronavirus outbreak
  • Checkpoints will ensure that anyone trying to enter the sites of Hajj without a permit will be prevented from doing so

JEDDAH: Saudi Arabia will fine and jail individuals and companies transporting pilgrims who do not have a Hajj permit, as part of tough security measures in place for this year’s pilgrimage.

Hajj, which normally attracts upward of 2 million people from around the world, is taking place during the coronavirus pandemic and the Kingdom has severely restricted pilgrim numbers in order to contain the spread of the disease.
A security cordon will guard against any possible infiltration attempts of non-permitted pilgrims to ensure a safe Hajj season. Nobody except those with official permission from authorities is allowed to perform Hajj or enter the holy areas.
According to the General Directorate of Passports, individuals and companies transporting pilgrims without permits will face severe penalties for violating the law in addition to an extra penalty for endangering the health of the community. Penalties include fines, jail, and confiscation of their vehicles.
Expats found violating the measures will also face deportation from the country and they will be denied access to the Kingdom for a certain period.
Punishments start from SR10,000 ($2,666) for each illegally transported pilgrim and 15 days in jail for first time violators, and these penalties will double when the violation is repeated. The maximum fine is SR50,000 for each pilgrim and six months in prison in addition to confiscation of the vehicle.
Saudi Public Security said it had completed an exceptional safety plan for Hajj in order to fully implement health protocols in light of the COVID-19 outbreak.
“Hajj this year is very different and exceptional,” Major-General Zayed Al-Tuyan, commander of Hajj Security, said on Sunday at a press conference.
“Hajj will be in very limited numbers under strict precautionary measures, and we will impose a complete security cordon around holy places and pilgrims during their movements.”

Hajj this year is very different and exceptional.

Major-General Zayed Al-Tuyan, Commander of Hajj Security

Al-Tuyan stressed that the numbers of pilgrims were very limited, no increase was allowed and that violators faced severe penalties.
He added that almost 70 percent of approvals for Hajj this year were given to expatriates from 160 nationalities, while the rest were given to Saudi citizens.
Pilgrims without permits would also face penalties for violating Hajj 2020 guidelines.
There are six main security centers around Makkah, in addition to other temporary offices to control the entrances of the city and holy sites.
Al-Tuyan warned against fake Hajj campaigns and tour guides, saying that there would be no such activities this year except for the services provided through the Hajj Ministry. “I strongly advise citizens and expatriates not to believe or fall for deceitful advertisements by those who promote themselves to lead campaigns or coordinate with fake offices, only those who have been permitted by the Ministry of Hajj will be allowed to perform.”

Security measures will ensure social distancing for pilgrims from their arrival in Makkah and throughout the different stages of Hajj.

“We work in close coordination and planning with the Ministry of Interior, Ministry of Hajj, and the Ministry of Health,” Al-Tuyan added.

Saudi Arabia earlier this year took the dramatic step of suspending the Umrah and Hajj seasons for citizens, expats residing in the country as well as international pilgrims, to prevent COVID-19 from spreading through crowds to the holy sites.


Ithra celebrates Founding Day with family-friendly Ramadan festivities

Updated 21 February 2026
Follow

Ithra celebrates Founding Day with family-friendly Ramadan festivities

DHAHRAN: The King Abdulaziz Center for World Culture, known as Ithra, is celebrating Saudi Arabia’s Founding Day as part of a multi-night Ramadan cultural experience from Feb. 20-22.

As it has done annually since the launch of Founding Day in 2022, Ithra’s indoor and outdoor spaces weave together history, arts and community engagement, offering a wide range of experiences inspired by the beginnings of the first Saudi state across the center’s facilities.

Visitors are welcomed into a festive, family-friendly Ramadan atmosphere through a rich array of 30 programs, activities and events honoring the Kingdom’s heritage and the achievements of the country’s founders 300 years ago.

Riyadh-based Tiger Lee, who is from China, drove several hours from the capital to Dhahran and was delighted to experience the celebratory energy.

“Today is a holiday and we have three days of vacation (for Founding Day), so we just visited this city — it is our first time,” he told Arab News as his two friends, also Chinese, looked on.

“This city is so beautiful; it has a beautiful beach, different from Riyadh — that’s a beautiful city also,” Lee said.

“I have been in Riyadh for four years, but this is my first time in Dhahran. You know, the Chinese are always working, very busy. And it’s the Chinese New Year and also Ramadan, so it’s a very, very special time,” he said.

Lee was eager to enter the Ithra Cinema and watch one of the films being screened.

“We will enter to watch a film in half an hour, I don’t know what it is about, I still did not watch, but I want to understand how this country is building, what is this history of this country?”

He was also excited to explore the country more broadly.

“Saudi Arabia is a very, very important country in the Middle East. We also have a good friendship between China and this country,” Lee added. “I feel so good. I’m saying thank you, thank you very much, Saudi Arabia — from my heart.”

As always, entry to the center is free, and visitors of all nationalities are welcome.

There are plenty of culinary experiences for snacking and dining within the center’s premises. Nosh, Cantina, Tobby’s, Baking Up, Brunswick, Salil, Origo, Roboresso, Fast 2, and, of course, Pattis, an Ithra staple for years, are among the options available for food and drinks.

Outdoor offerings include the souq, featuring local vendors selling traditional goods; the Henna: From Mothers to Daughters henna station; traditional sadu weaving sessions; and more.

The nearby Energy Exhibit offers activations such as Minted History, which delves into the Kingdom’s old paper currency, the Najdi Majlis Experience, and Heritage of Our Ancestors.

The Plaza will be hosting three main events: Holy Qur’an: The Manuscripts, Katatib Journey, and the Takhleed mini art exhibition titled “Timeless Sacrifices.”

The cinema, which Lee and his friends attended, is showcasing three films. Screenings are free of charge but require tickets, which can be secured at the box office desk.

The Ithra Museum, as well as the library, are holding special storytelling experiences for the young and young at heart.

The only part of Ithra’s Founding Day festivities that requires purchasing tickets is the Children’s Museum. With so many interactive spaces and activities, the admission price of SR20 ($5) may be worth it.

Since the Founding Day celebrations coincide with the holy month of Ramadan, Ithra has also arranged Taraweeh prayers on the premises for those who wish to join.

The center will be open from 8:30 p.m. until 1:00 a.m. for the duration of the Founding Day celebrations. Visit Ithra’s website or social media channels for exact timings of each activity.