Leeds face test of nerve as promotion looms

Leeds United are increasingly in contention for a return to the Premier League, following a key 3-1 win at Blackburn and with five matches left. (Files/AFP)
Short Url
Updated 07 July 2020
Follow

Leeds face test of nerve as promotion looms

  • Marcelo Bielsa’s side look odds-on to secure the place among English football’s elite

LONDON: After 16 years in the wilderness, Leeds United are on the brink of an eagerly awaited return to the Premier League — as long as they can hold their nerve with the finish line in sight.

A 3-1 win at Blackburn on Saturday moved Leeds a step closer to the promised land from the long purgatory of the lower leagues.

Marcelo Bielsa's side sit one point clear at the top of the Championship heading into their last five matches.

With third-placed Brentford six points behind, Leeds look odds-on to secure the place among English football's elite that their legion of fanatical fans used to regard as their birthright.

But Leeds were in a similar position last season and squandered a chance for automatic promotion before imploding in the playoffs.

When Leeds beat Sheffield Wednesday on April 13, 2019, a capacity crowd at Elland Road serenaded their jubilant team as if promotion had been secured.

Just 15 days later, after losses to Wigan and Brentford and a mad-cap draw against Villa — in which Bielsa told his team to deliberately let their opponents score following United's controversial opener — ended the Leeds top two challenge.

Leeds lost their nerve and Derby took full advantage in the playoff semifinal second leg, winning 4-2 to leave the Elland Road faithful in tears.

From the ashes of that bitter evening, Bielsa has dragged Leeds back into promotion contention.

But, with last season's collapse in mind, Leeds fans might have been alarmed to hear Bielsa admit he is feeling the strain of the run-in.

"Yes," Bielsa said when asked if he felt anxious during the Blackburn game.

"Every match in this period is very important. If we get distracted we will pay for that so we need to keep focused in every match."

With English football being played behind closed doors for the rest of the season amid the coronavirus pandemic, perhaps Leeds will benefit from playing in silence, rather than in front of their anxious fans.

"I'd love to be there more than anything. But it's such a nervous time and I do think that could impact the players," Leeds season-ticket holder Simon Sanders told AFP.

"Nothing feels quite right with this virus and the way the world has changed but if we make it the party will go on for weeks."

Three of Leeds' remaining games will be played in the empty stands of Elland Road against struggling trio Stoke, Barnsley and Charlton.

Win those games and taken a point from one of their two away games at Swansea and Derby and Leeds will be assured of promotion.

It would be a moment to savor after such a long period in the shadows.

Champions of England in 1969 and 1974 under Don Revie, then in 1992 when Howard Wilkinson called the shots, Leeds have a rich history.

But since being relegated from the top tier in 2004, Leeds have stumbled from financial disaster off the pitch to despair on it.

Describing the club's ascent to the heady heights of the Champions League in the early 2000s, former chairman Peter Ridsdale claimed he had "lived the dream."

Their subsequent fall was a never-ending nightmare that hit its lowest ebb in 2007 when Leeds went into administration and were relegated to the third tier for the first time.

No wonder the much-travelled Bielsa is so beloved after just two years in charge.

The former Argentina, Lazio, Marseille and Bilbao boss has turned the tide at a tortured club infamously labelled the 'Damned United' by novelist David Peace and forever remembered as 'Dirty Leeds' in the minds of fans who saw their no-holds-barred style in the Revie era.

Now Leeds' Italian owner Andrea Radrizzani is embracing that checkered past in a bid to secure promotion at last.

"For Leeds, we have a history of being 'Dirty Leeds' and we actually channel that," Radrizzani told FIFA's Professional Football Journal.

"All of our boys are willing to fight for the shirt every week and having that character is important to being a Leeds player.

"I want to help Leeds return to the level our history and fans deserve."


Al-Nassr move top of Saudi Pro League after Al-Hilal held by 10-man Al-Ittihad

Updated 5 sec ago
Follow

Al-Nassr move top of Saudi Pro League after Al-Hilal held by 10-man Al-Ittihad

  • Cristiano Ronaldo scores brace in dominant 4-0 victory over Al-Hazem
  • Al-Hilal take early lead against Al-Ittihad before Houssem Aouar equalises despite visitors playing with 10 men

RIYADH: Less than a month after Cristiano Ronaldo withdrew from the squad for two consecutive matches, Al-Nassr now sit top of the Saudi Pro League with 12 games remaining.

A commanding 4-0 victory over Al-Hazem, combined with Al-Ittihad holding Al-Hilal to a 1-1 draw despite playing with 10 men for more than 80 minutes, saw Al-Nassr return to the summit.

The Kingdom Arena witnessed a blistering start to the Saudi Clasico. Karim Benzema threaded a pass through to Salem Al-Dawsari, who squared the ball for Malcom to open the scoring in the fifth minute.

Al-Hilal immediately pressed for a second, with their attacking movement unsettling the visitors’ defence. Hassan Kadesh was initially cautioned in the eighth minute for pulling down Malcom, but a VAR review upgraded the decision to a red card as the Brazilian broke through on goal.

The dismissal sparked controversy, with players disputing the call and fans debating the decision on social media, including under broadcaster Thmanyah’s post on X questioning whether it was the correct outcome.

Al-Ittihad reshaped into a 4-4-1, with Houssem Aouar dropping into the left side of midfield and Mario Mitaj slotting in at left-back, placing increased responsibility on Mahamadou Doumbia to drive the team forward.

In the 23rd minute, Doumbia wriggled free from pressure deep in his own half before releasing Youssef En-Nesyri with a dangerous through ball, but Yassine Bounou stood firm to deny his countryman.

Al-Ittihad continued to threaten through direct passes to En-Nesyri. In first-half stoppage time, he broke into space once more before Hassan Al-Tambakti intervened with a crucial interception.

At the other end, Benzema went close to doubling the lead just before the interval, but Predrag Rajkovic produced a decisive save after the Frenchman was found unmarked inside the six-yard box.

Despite being reduced to 10 men, Al-Ittihad refused to retreat. In the 53rd minute, a floated cross from Muhannad Al-Shanqeeti found Aouar, who slipped in behind Moteb Al-Harbi to head past Bounou and level the score.

En-Nesyri was presented with another clear opening in the 64th minute, but his effort lacked conviction and was comfortably gathered by Bounou.

Al-Hilal, by contrast, struggled to replicate their first-half dominance. Rajkovic produced nine saves on the night, while Danilo Pereira delivered a resolute defensive display to deny Al-Dawsari and Benzema space in the final third.

Despite registering more than 10 attempts after the break, Al-Hilal failed to rediscover their rhythm as Sergio Conceicao organized a disciplined defensive performance to earn Al-Ittihad a valuable point in Riyadh.

While Al-Hilal were held at Kingdom Arena, Al-Nassr were a short drive away at Al-Awwal Park, knowing victory would take them top.

A week after scoring the winner against Al-Fateh on his return, Ronaldo opened the scoring once again after Kingsley Coman found him unmarked inside the box.

Coman was also involved in Al-Nassr’s second goal on the half-hour mark, when Joao Felix slipped the Frenchman through before he powered his finish into the net.

As news of Al-Ittihad’s equalizer filtered through, the noise inside Al-Awwal Park intensified. Angelo added a third in the 77th minute after a surging run from halfway that saw him glide past four Al-Hazem players, before Ronaldo sealed the win with a composed finish two minutes later — his 20th league goal of the season.

The result lifts Al-Nassr to first place on 55 points, one ahead of Al-Hilal in second. Al-Ittihad remain sixth on 38 points, behind Al-Taawoun, with an AFC Champions League Elite spot now 13 points away.

Elsewhere, Al-Khaleej and NEOM faced off in Dammam, with the match interrupted by a 19-minute power outage. After play resumed, NEOM snatched a 1-0 victory as Alexandre Lacazette converted a penalty in the 88th minute.

The Saudi Pro League returns on Monday following a one-day break to mark Saudi Founding Day. 

The gap between first and fourth now stands at just five points, with Al-Nassr facing Al-Fayha, Al-Hilal hosting rivals Al-Shabab, Al-Ahli meeting Al-Riyadh and Al-Qadsiah taking  on Al-Taawoun on Matchday 24.