Vietnam grounds Pakistani pilots over license concerns

A Pakistan International Airlines Boeing 777 comes in to land at Heathrow airport in west London on June 8, 2020. (AFP)
Short Url
Updated 29 June 2020
Follow

Vietnam grounds Pakistani pilots over license concerns

  • Vietnam had licensed 27 Pakistani pilots, and 12 of them were still active
  • Pakistan said last week it will ground 262 airline pilots whose credentials may have been falsified

HANOI: Vietnam’s aviation authority said on Monday it had grounded all Pakistani pilots working for local airlines, amid concern from global regulators that some pilots may have been using “dubious” licenses.
Pakistan said last week it will ground 262 airline pilots whose credentials may have been falsified, after global airlines body IATA said that irregularities found in pilot licenses at Pakistan International Airlines represent a “serious lapse” in safety controls.
“The head of the Civil Aviation Authority of Vietnam (CAAV) has ordered a suspension for all Pakistani pilots working for Vietnamese airlines,” the CAAV said in a statement on Monday.
The suspension will be in effect until further notice from CAAV, it said, adding that the authority is coordinating with Pakistani authorities to review the pilots’ profiles.
Vietnam had licensed 27 Pakistani pilots, and 12 of them were still active, while the other 15 pilots’ contracts had expired or were inactive due to the coronavirus pandemic, according to the CAAV.
Of the 12 active pilots, 11 were working for budget airlines Vietjet Aviation and one for Jetstar Pacific, a unit of the national flag carrier Vietnam Airlines.
Vietnam Airlines and Bamboo Airways were not using any pilots from Pakistan, the CAAV said.
Vietnamese airlines currently have 1,260 pilots, with nearly half of them holding foreign citizenship, according to the CAAV.


Tariq confident Pakistan can bounce back after India drubbing

Updated 17 February 2026
Follow

Tariq confident Pakistan can bounce back after India drubbing

  • Pakistan suffered 61-run defat at India’s hands, must beat Namibia on Wednesday to advance further 
  • Pakistan spinner Usman Tariq says team has worked on mistakes, has resolved not to repeat them

COLOMBO: Spinner Usman Tariq said Tuesday he was confident that Pakistan can bounce back from their T20 World Cup drubbing against India and seal qualification for the next round.

India’s 61-run romp means Pakistan must beat Namibia in their final match in Colombo on Wednesday to qualify for the Super Eights.

A defeat would eliminate Pakistan, who are third behind the USA on net run rate in Group A.

It would also leave an outside chance for the Netherlands to qualify, but they would need a big win over co-hosts India in Ahmedabad on Wednesday.

“Lifting the team is only difficult when you don’t work on your mistakes committed in the last game,” Tariq told reporters.

“We have worked on our mistakes so I think it will not be a tough task.

“We have a resolve not to commit the same mistakes again.”

Pakistan were criticized for asking India to bat then folding meekly for 114 in 18 overs chasing a stiff 176 target.

“We can feel their (fans’) disappointment because the match is watched by the whole nation,” Tariq said.

“So we feel their pain but I am sure when we play them (India) next we will put up a better show.”

Tariq dismissed rumors that batting star Babar Azam and pace spearhead Shaheen Shah Afridi could be dropped against Namibia after poor performances against India.

“Both Azam and Shaheen have won many matches for Pakistan so if they did not perform well in one game we should not write them off,” said Tariq.

Pakistan have faced Namibia only once before in a T20 international.

“Whoever we play we have the confidence to beat them and our goal is to play the final and win the cup which we will try our best to achieve.”

Namibia have lost all three of their group matches.