Government to refund Hajj applicants next week

This undated file photo shows a Saudi immigration officer returning passport to a Pakistani pilgrim at Islamabad airport. (SPA)
Short Url
Updated 28 June 2020
Follow

Government to refund Hajj applicants next week

  • The government’s refund process will begin on July 2
  • Kingdom’s decision to limit this year’s Hajj participation is part of measures to curb virus outbreak

ISLAMABAD: Pakistan next week will start refunding all persons who intended to perform the Hajj under a government scheme, following Saudi Arabia’s decision to limit the annual pilgrimage due to the coronavirus outbreak.

In a statement on Saturday, the Ministry of Religious Affairs said the money deposited by intending pilgrims would be refunded starting July 2 through selected banks across the country. Relevant departments, it said, will send information to applicants over the phone, through SMS.

The applicants will not need to visit banks in person to receive the refund amount.

A total of 180,000 Pakistanis were scheduled to perform the Hajj this year, out of whom over 107,500 registered for the pilgrimage under the government’s program.

On June 22, Saudi authorities announced that this year’s Hajj would be limited to 10,000 people residing in the kingdom to safeguard public health as part of antivirus measures to limit the spread of the deadly disease.

Pakistan and other Muslim countries welcomed the decision, saying it was in line with the principles of Shariah.

In February last year, following Crown Prince Mohammad bin Salman’s visit to Islamabad, Pakistan was included in Saudi Arabia’s Road to Makkah initiative which is aimed at facilitating Hajj pilgrims from across the Muslim world.
 


One dead, four injured as gas cylinder explosion triggers fire in Karachi building

Updated 22 February 2026
Follow

One dead, four injured as gas cylinder explosion triggers fire in Karachi building

  • Fire triggered by gas cylinder explosion in Karachi’s Bismillah Residency in North Nazimabad area, say police
  • Many households in Pakistan rely on liquefied petroleum gas cylinders which are susceptible to gas explosions

ISLAMABAD: One person was killed while four others were injured in Pakistan’s southern port city of Karachi after a gas cylinder exploded, triggering a fire inside a residential building, police and rescue officials said on Sunday.

The fire was caused on Saturday night by a gas cylinder explosion at a flat in Bismillah Residency located in Karachi’s North Nazimabad area, Sindh Police said in a statement. Local media reports said the flat was located on the ninth floor of the high-rise building.

Rescue 1122 Sindh emergency service said its firefighters arrived shortly after the fire was reported and doused the flames on Sunday morning. It said all of the building’s occupants, except for the one person who was killed by the fire, were rescued.

“The child who died in the fire that broke out following a cylinder blast in a building has been identified as Burhan, son of Aoun, aged 15,” Rescue 1122 spokesperson said in a statement.

It said the injured included two women, one man and a four-year-old girl.

“All the injured were shifted to hospital after receiving immediate medical aid, and the rescue operation has been completed,” the spokesperson added.

This is the second such explosion to take place in Karachi in less than a week. At least 15 people were killed, including women and children, when a gas cylinder exploded in a residential building in the city’s Soldier Bazaar area on Thursday.

Most houses and apartment buildings in Karachi, like elsewhere in Pakistan, are supplied with natural gas for cooking. However, many households also rely on liquefied petroleum gas cylinders because of low natural gas pressure.

In July, a gas explosion following a wedding reception at a home in Pakistan’s capital, Islamabad, killed eight people, including the bride and groom.

A massive fire at a popular shopping mall in Karachi last month killed over 70 people.