Yemen’s Marib imposes coronavirus curfew

The authorities have also extended their ban on gatherings including markets, prayers in mosques, and wedding halls. (File/AFP)
Short Url
Updated 25 May 2020
Follow

Yemen’s Marib imposes coronavirus curfew

  • The government has also approved a new list of hotels to be used for isolation submitted by the national coronavirus committee

DUBAI: Yemen’s Marib closed its entry points and imposed an 11-hour curfew from 6 p.m. to 5 a.m. starting Sunday until further notice due to the coronavirus outbreak in the country, state news agency Saba reported.
The authorities have also extended their ban on gatherings including markets, prayers in mosques, and wedding halls.
The government has also approved a new list of hotels to be used for isolation submitted by the national coronavirus committee.
“Every citizen has to be aware of this hazardous plague which can cripple the health systems of advanced countries, let alone Yemen’s system, already weakened and destroyed since the Houthi militia's seizure of power,” Marib governor Sultan Al-Eradah said.


Israel police to deploy around Al-Aqsa for Ramadan, Palestinians report curbs

Updated 17 February 2026
Follow

Israel police to deploy around Al-Aqsa for Ramadan, Palestinians report curbs

  • The Al-Aqsa compound is a central symbol of Palestinian identity and also a frequent flashpoint

JERUSALEM: Israeli police said Monday that they would deploy in force around the Al-Aqsa Mosque during the Muslim holy month of Ramadan, which begins this week, as Palestinian officials accused Israel of imposing restrictions at the compound.
Over the course of the month of fasting and prayer, hundreds of thousands of Palestinians traditionally attend prayers at Al-Aqsa — Islam’s third-holiest site, located in east Jerusalem, which Israel captured in 1967 and later annexed.
Arad Braverman, a senior Jerusalem police officer, said forces would be deployed “day and night” across the compound, known to Jews as the Temple Mount, and in the surrounding area.
He said thousands of police would also be on duty for Friday prayers, which draw the largest crowds of Muslim worshippers.
Braverman said police had recommended issuing 10,000 permits for Palestinians from the occupied West Bank, who require special permission to enter Jerusalem.
He did not say whether age limits would apply, adding that the final number of people would be decided by the government.
The Palestinian Jerusalem Governorate said in a separate statement it had been informed that permits would again be restricted to men over 55 and women over 50, mirroring last year’s criteria.
It said Israeli authorities had blocked the Islamic Waqf — the Jordanian?run body administering the site — from carrying out routine preparations, including installing shade structures and setting up temporary medical clinics.
A Waqf source confirmed the restrictions and said 33 of its employees had been barred from entering the compound in the week before Ramadan.
The Al-Aqsa compound is a central symbol of Palestinian identity and also a frequent flashpoint.
Under long?standing arrangements, Jews may visit the compound — which they revere as the site of their second temple, destroyed by the Romans in 70 AD — but they are not permitted to pray there.
Israel says it is committed to maintaining this status quo, though Palestinians fear it is being eroded.
Braverman reiterated Monday that no changes were planned.
In recent years, a growing number of Jewish ultranationalists have challenged the prayer ban, including far?right politician Itamar Ben-Gvir, who prayed at the site while serving as national security minister in 2024 and 2025.