Indonesian president faces pressure to oust health minister for sluggish coronavirus response

Indonesian President under pressure to remove health minister. (AFP)
Short Url
Updated 20 March 2020
Follow

Indonesian president faces pressure to oust health minister for sluggish coronavirus response

  • A hashtag calling for Putranto’s dismissal was also trending on Twitter
  • As infections have spread beyond Jakarta and Java, Jakarta Gov. Anies Baswedan has suggested a city lockdown

JAKARTA: Indonesian President Joko Widodo is facing mounting public pressure to sack Health Minister Terawan Agus Putranto amid a controversial response to the coronavirus pandemic, as cases rise and Jakarta becomes the country’s epicenter.

Putranto has been under fire for downplaying the outbreak when countries in the region have reported cases of patients with travel history to Indonesia and before the first two coronavirus positive cases in the country were confirmed in early March.

In early February, he called a Harvard report on the country’s response “insulting.” The report suggested that Indonesia should have reported confirmed infection cases and there could be undetected cases, using a scientific calculation based on extensive air travel between Indonesia and Wuhan. Putranto said Indonesia did not record any cases of infection due to the power of prayers.

“I do not pay my taxes only to be told by the health minister to pray in times of such outbreak,” Ricky Gunawan, the director of Jakarta-based advocacy group Community Legal Aid Institute (LBH Masyarakat), told Arab News on Wednesday.

LBH Masyarakat is part of a civil society coalition that has urged Widodo to dismiss the minister. The coalition wrote in a statement on Tuesday that Putranto, as the highest health authority in the country, is responsible for the sluggish response to the outbreak and the increasing rate of infection, which includes his colleague, Transport Minister Budi Karya Sumadi.

“The health minister since the start has been showing an arrogant attitude, anti-science and continued to downplay the problem, which resulted in people being unattentive to the outbreak,” the coalition wrote.

A hashtag calling for Putranto’s dismissal was also trending on Twitter earlier this week after he was accused of using an event to discharge patients from hospital for public relations benefits on Monday. He ignored the president’s call on Sunday for the public to exercise social distancing.

“We urge the president to replace the health minister with a figure who has a better understanding of public health, who is sensitive to the crisis and will guide us through this worst health crisis,” the coalition said.

The government spokesman for the outbreak, Achmad Yurianto, said Indonesia had 55 new infections on Wednesday with 30 of them found in Jakarta, bringing the national tally to 227. Yurianto added that 11 patients had recovered, while nine had died so far.

As infections have spread beyond Jakarta and Java — the country’s most populated island — Jakarta Gov. Anies Baswedan has suggested a city lockdown.

Widodo, whose official residence is the Bogor Palace outside of Jakarta, reaffirmed on Monday that the government was not considering a lockdown, even as neighboring Malaysia and the Philippines have taken that drastic step to curb the spread of the virus.

FASTFACTS

• Putranto criticized for downplaying the outbreak when there countries have reported cases. • The capital Jakarta is becoming the country’s COVID-19 epicenter.

“I have to emphasize that a lockdown policy at the national or regional level is the central government’s authority. Regional governments cannot issue such policy,” Widodo said, in a move that was widely perceived as a jab towards Baswedan, who has garnered public support for his swift response
to the outbreak.

The World Health Organization (WHO) Southeast Asia office issued a statement on Tuesday urging governments to urgently launch aggressive measures to combat the infectious disease as more clusters of virus transmission are being confirmed and some countries are heading towards community transmission.

“The situation is evolving rapidly. We need to immediately scale up all efforts to prevent the virus from infecting more people,” said Poonam Khetrapal Singh, regional director of the WHO Southeast Asia office.

The Foreign Ministry announced on Tuesday that as of March 20, Indonesia would suspend its visa-free and visa-on-arrival policy for all countries for a month and that foreigners must obtain a visa to visit the country by providing a health certificate issued by their health authorities.


Kim Jong Un vows to boost living standards as he opens rare congress

Updated 6 sec ago
Follow

Kim Jong Un vows to boost living standards as he opens rare congress

  • North Korean leader Kim Jong Un vowed to lift living standards as he opened a landmark congress, state media said Friday, offering a glimpse of economic strains within the sanctions-hit nation
SEOUL: North Korean leader Kim Jong Un vowed to lift living standards as he opened a landmark congress, state media said Friday, offering a glimpse of economic strains within the sanctions-hit nation.
Supreme Leader Kim took center stage with a speech to start the Workers’ Party congress, a gathering that directs state efforts on everything from house building to war planning.
Held just once every five years, the days-long congress offers a rare glimpse into the workings of a nation where even mundane details are shrouded in secrecy.
“Today, our party is faced with heavy and urgent historic tasks of boosting economic construction and the people’s standard of living and transforming all realms of state and social life as early as possible,” Kim said in his opening speech.
“This requires us to wage a more active and persistent struggle without allowing even a moment’s standstill or stagnation.”
For decades, nuclear weapons and military prowess came before everything else in North Korea, even as food stocks dried up and famine took hold.
But since assuming power in 2011, Kim has stressed the need to also fortify the impoverished nation’s economy.
At the last party congress in 2021, Kim made an extremely rare admission that mistakes had been made in “almost all areas” of economic development.
Analysts believe such language is designed to head off public discontent stirred by food shortages, military spending, and North Korea’s continued support for Russia’s war effort in Ukraine.
Kim said North Korea had overcome its “worst difficulties” in the last five years, and was now entering a new stage of “optimism and confidence in the future.”
North Korea’s economy has for years languished under heavy Western sanctions that aim to choke off funding for its nuclear weapons program.
But Pyongyang refuses to surrender its atomic arsenal.
Kim has already declared this year’s congress will unveil the next phase in the nation’s nuclear weapons program.
Ruling dynasty
Thousands of party elites packed the cavernous House of Culture in Pyongyang for the opening day of the congress.
It is just the ninth time the Workers’ Party congress has convened under the Kim family’s decades-long rule.
The meeting was shelved under Kim’s father Kim Jong Il, but was revived in 2016.
Kim Jong Un has spent years stoking his cult of personality in reclusive North Korea, and the congress offers another chance to demonstrate his absolute grip on power.
Footage showed Kim stepping out of a black limousine and striding into the meeting flanked by officials.
Delegates broke into hearty applause as he took his place at the center of the imposing rostrum overlooking proceedings.
Analysts will scour photographs to see which officials are seated closest to Kim, and who is banished to the back row.
Particular attention will be placed on the whereabouts of Kim’s teenage daughter Ju Ae, who has emerged as North Korea’s heir apparent, according to Seoul’s national intelligence service.
’Biggest enemy’
The ruling parties of China and Russia — North Korea’s longtime allies — sent friendly messages to mark the start of the meeting.
“In recent years, under the strategic guidance of the top leaders of the two parties and two countries, China-DPRK relations have entered a new historical period,” said a telegram from the Chinese Communist Party, using the official acronym for North Korea.
Kim appeared alongside China’s Xi Jinping and Russia’s Vladimir Putin at a military parade in Beijing last year — a striking display of his elevated status in global politics.
At the previous congress five years ago, Kim declared that the United States was his nation’s “biggest enemy.”
There is keen interest in whether Kim might use the congress to soften this stance, or double down.
US President Donald Trump stepped up his courtship of Kim during a tour of Asia last year, saying he was “100 percent” open to a meeting.
Kim has so far largely shunned efforts to resume top-level diplomatic dialogue.