PGA Tour calls off Players to start ‘pause’

The US PGA Tour had earlier decided to continue with The Players Championship while barring fans. (AFP)
Short Url
Updated 13 March 2020

PGA Tour calls off Players to start ‘pause’

  • The tour also canceling the Valspar Championship, the WGC Match-Play and the Texas Open in San Antonio in coming weeks

MIAMI: The US PGA Tour has changed course and called off The Players Championship after one round, the first of a string of cancelations amid the coronavirus pandemic.
“It is with regret that we are announcing the cancelation of The Players Championship,” the tour said in a statement on Thursday night.
The tour also announced it was canceling the Valspar Championship, the WGC Match-Play and the Texas Open in San Antonio in coming weeks.
The Valero Texas Open concludes on April 5, eve of the first practice round at Augusta National for the Masters.
The tour had earlier decided to continue with the Players while barring fans, announcing the same plans for most tournaments in the coming weeks, although the event in the Dominican Republic played opposite the WGC Match Play would be postponed.
But as concerns mounted over the burgeoning number of coronavirus cases in the United States officials changed their mind.
“We have pledged from the start to be responsible, thoughtful and transparent with our decision process,” the tour said in a statement. “We did everything possible to create a safe environment for our players in order to continue the event throughout the weekend, and we were endeavoring to give our fans a much-needed respite from the current climate.
“But at this point — and as the situation continues to rapidly change — the right thing to do for our players and our fans is to pause.”


NBA star Durant rules himself out for rest of season

Updated 06 June 2020

NBA star Durant rules himself out for rest of season

  • NBA star ruptured his right Achilles tendon in last June’s NBA Finals
  • Kevin Durant among a dozen NBA players who tested positive for coronavirus in the spring

LOS ANGELES: NBA superstar Kevin Durant, who has not played since he tore his Achilles tendon a year ago, said he would not make his debut with the Brooklyn Nets when the season resumes late July in Orlando.
“My season is over. I don’t plan on playing at all,” in the 2019-2020 season, Durant said in an interview Friday with The Undefeated.
“We decided last summer when it first happened that I was just going to wait until the following season. I had no plans of playing at all this season.”
The NBA suspended its season on March 11 as the COVID-19 pandemic erupted, leaving professional sport in North America at a standstill.
The league’s board of governors on Thursday gave the green light to a plan to restart the season at Disney World in Orlando, Florida on July 31, without spectators.
The news was followed by speculation over whether Durant would appear.
Durant, who was the NBA Finals Most Valuable Player for the Golden State Warriors in their 2017 and 2018 championship runs, ruptured his right Achilles tendon in last June’s NBA Finals.
He then left California to join Brooklyn, where fans were hoping he would form a formidable duet with Kyrie Irving, who also arrived last summer.
“It’s just best for me to wait. I don’t think I’m ready to play that type of intensity right now in the next month,” said Durant.
He said however that his rehab was going well.
“I’m doing well. Working out every day. I’m moving. I’m feeling like a normal player again,” he told The Undefeated.
Plans to restart the league received the approval of the players’ union on Friday, although some details remain to be ironed out.
Durant, who is among a dozen NBA players who tested positive for coronavirus in the spring, has not said whether he will accompany his teammates to Florida.