Saudi coronavirus virus victim ‘in stable condition’

Ministry of Health spokesman Dr. Mohammed Al-Abd Al-Aly gives a press conference at the Saudi Food and Drug Authority headquarters in Riyadh. (SPA)
Short Url
Updated 04 March 2020

Saudi coronavirus virus victim ‘in stable condition’

  • The man’s family and all those who had been in direct contact with him are also being monitored

RIYADH: A Saudi man infected with coronavirus is in a stable condition and is receiving treatment, the Kingdom’s Ministry of Health said.

The man, who lives in the eastern Qatif region, has been isolated while he receives health care, ministry spokesman Dr. Mohammed Al-Abd Al-Aly said.

He said that the man’s family and all those who had been in direct contact with him are also being monitored.

According to the health spokesman, the Saudi man traveled from Iran, and entered the Kingdom via Bahrain and the King Fahd causeway that connects both countries.

“He did not mention his previous trips, including Iran, at the border” Al-Abd Al-Aly said.

“The man has been isolated immediately. The necessary samples were taken, and laboratory tests at the National Center for Disease Prevention and Control proved that his case is confirmed. We continue to provide services and health care for him,” he said.

Al-Abd Al-Aly said a team of specialists had seen more than 70 people who had been in contact with the man.

“We have monitored his movements, whether passing through a private health facility to receive health care or his visits to community sites,” the spokesman said.

Al-Abd Al-Aly said that investigations into suspected cases will continue and any confirmed coronavirus cases will be announced.

He denied rumors that the infected man works as a teacher and warned against unnecessary alarm over the virus.

“There is no need to worry. People must take care of their personal hygiene and avoid contacting infected people. They can communicate with trusted entities — the 937 call service is available for everyone” he said.

“We urge those who have been in areas or countries where the virus is highly spread, and failed to report their previous visits, to contact 937, so we can help protect them, their families and the community,” he added.
 

Related


Arab coalition destroys 4 Houthi drones targeting Saudi Arabia

Updated 14 min 54 sec ago

Arab coalition destroys 4 Houthi drones targeting Saudi Arabia

  • The drones were destroyed in Yemeni airspace, Al-Maliki said
  • The Arab coalition launched a military operation against the Houthi targets on Wednesday

RIYADH: The Arab coalition intercepted and destroyed four explosive-laden drones launched by the Houthis in the direction of the Kingdom on Friday.
The drones were destroyed in Yemeni airspace, Saudi Press Agency quoted Arab coalition spokesperson Col. Turki Al-Maliki as saying.
He added that the coalition has efficient capabilities and is able to address such threats and foil them immediately after they are launched from Houthi controlled areas.
The coalition takes all necessary measures to protect civilians and civilian facilities in accordance with international law, Al-Maliki continued.
The Arab coalition launched a military operation against the Houthi targets on Wednesday after continuous targeting of the Kingdom by the Houthi militia with drones and ballistic missiles.