Israeli strikes kill six in Syria after Palestinian rocket barrage

A handout picture released by the official Syrian Arab News Agency on February 24, 2020, reportedly shows Syrian air defense intercepting an Israeli missile over Damascus. (SANA/AFP)
Short Url
Updated 25 February 2020
Follow

Israeli strikes kill six in Syria after Palestinian rocket barrage

  • Residents said multiple explosions shook Damascus and lasted for about 15 minutes as air defenses fired back
  • Israel claimed responsibility, saying it staged a series of strikes targeting the Palestinian militant group Islamic Jihad in Syria and the Gaza Strip

JERUSALEM: Israeli air strikes targeting the Islamic Jihad militant group in the Gaza Strip and Syria killed at least six fighters, a war monitor said Monday, after the militants fired a barrage of rockets at Israel.

In the latest tit-for-tat violence ahead of a March 2 general election in the Jewish state, the Israeli Air Force targeted “Islamic Jihad terror sites” throughout Gaza and near the Syrian capital Damascus, a military statement said.

It followed more than 20 rockets and mortars fired from the Palestinian enclave, themselves a response to the killing of an Islamic Jihad militant along the Gaza-Israel border.

Islamic Jihad, which along with allied group Hamas has fought three wars with Israel since 2008, operates in both the Gaza Strip and Syria.

The Israeli army said it had struck Islamic Jihad targets on the outskirts of Damascus, including a base “used as a hub” for the group’s activities in the country.

Islamic Jihad, which is allied with Syrian President Bashar Assad, confirmed early Monday that two of its fighters were killed.

The Syrian Observatory for Human Rights, a Britain-based war monitor, later confirmed that four additional pro-Assad, Iran-backed fighters died in the strike.

At least one of the Iran-backed fighters was Syrian, while the nationalities of the others remained unknown, Observatory head Rami Abdel Rahman said.

Since the start of the Syrian conflict in 2011, Israel has carried out hundreds of strikes in Syria, mainly targeting government troops as well as allied Iranian forces and fighters from the Lebanese group Hezbollah.

It is rare for them to claim such strikes directly.

Earlier on Sunday, Israel’s military said it had killed a militant in Gaza who had tried to plant an explosive device near the border fence.

Israel later confirmed that it extracted the militant’s body with a bulldozer.

Israel’s hawkish Defense Minister Naftali Bennett has pursued a policy of retaining the bodies of militants from Gaza as bargaining chips to pressure Hamas, which has held the bodies of two Israeli soldiers since 2014.

A video emerged later on social media, which was authenticated by AFP, showing a bulldozer approaching a body while a group of young, apparently unarmed men, were trying to retrieve it.

The sound of gunfire is heard and the men ultimately run away as the bulldozer scoops up the body.

Hours later, more than 20 rockets and mortars were launched from Gaza toward Israel, setting off warning sirens in the southern city of Ashkelon and several other locations.

More than a dozen were intercepted by the Jewish state’s Iron Dome missile defense system, the Israeli army said, adding there were no reports of serious injuries in Israel.

Islamic Jihad claimed responsibility for the rockets, calling them a response to the killing of one its fighters along the Gaza border early Sunday.

Israeli military said it responded to the rocket fire by targeting “dozens” of Islamic Jihad targets throughout Gaza.

Health officials in Gaza said four people were wounded.

Hamas and Israel last fought a full-scale war in 2014, but smaller flareups are relatively common.

In November, Islamic Jihad and Israel fought a three-day conflict that left 35 Palestinians dead and more than 100 wounded, according to official figures.

Under the informal agreements in the past year, Israel has slightly eased a blockade of the impoverished Palestinian enclave in exchange for relative calm.

 


Filipina fairytale continues as Eala sets up quarterfinal date with Gauff

Updated 9 sec ago
Follow

Filipina fairytale continues as Eala sets up quarterfinal date with Gauff

  • Cheered on by thousands of noisy Pinoy fans, Dubai debutant Eala beats Romanian veteran Sorana Cirstea in straight sets to reach Friday’s last 8
  • 2-time Grand Slam winner Gauff progresses despite hitting 16 double-faults and needing to save 3 match points against Belgian Elize Mertens

DUBAI: The Filipina fairytale continues after Alexandra Eala, 20, defeated Sorana Cirstea 7-5, 6-4 on Wednesday night to book a last-eight date with world No. 4 Coco Gauff at the Dubai Duty Free Tennis Championships.

“I take it all in with a spoonful of gratitude,” Eala said, after being cheered on like the hero she is quickly becoming among her compatriots.

The world No. 47 — the highest-ranked Filipina in WTA Tour history — showed a quiet confidence to slowly grind down her veteran opponent and reach the quarterfinals of a 1000 tournament for the second time.

Cirstea is 15 places higher in the world rankings and reached the semifinals here two years ago but such was the energy inside a thronged stadium, the Romanian never looked likely to quieten the Kabayan crowd.

That is not to suggest the passionate fans got their new hero over the line. Eala has after all been preparing for moments like these since she was 4 years old and being coached by her grandad in Manila.

“Obviously their support means a lot to me,” she said.

“It definitely motivated me in the tight moments and makes the emotions more intense when I win, but I wouldn’t attribute all of it to them. Whether they’re there or not, I’m going to fight until the end and do what I can to win.

“I’ve not always been a competitor who’s been put in night sessions on center court. I’ve been playing tennis for many years and I’m also used to playing in front of no crowds.

“I’m still in the earlier phase of my career, so I’m doing my best to enjoy and I hope the feeling is reciprocated by the crowd. It just creates an amazing atmosphere.”

With the first set going with serve through 10 games, Eala finally grabbed the break she needed to win it. In the second set, such was Eala’s early dominance and the noise it generated among the partisan crowd that it almost felt cruel on Cirstea.

Every winner from Eala, every unforced error from the Romanian, and every break in play, was filled with ear-splitting cheers, catchy chants, and the waving of flags, posters, and hand-made signs, including one that read “Alex, please marry my son.”

Cirstea had complained only a few weeks ago at the Australian Open when she deemed Naomi Osaka to have been excessively vocal while pumping herself up between points.

How she must have felt then during this 98-minute match as the crowd screamed like Beatlemania reborn and the only thing that could quieten it — her A-game — never quite got going. The umpire had his work cut out, repeatedly reminding the fans that silence was required during play.

When Eala closed out the win, smiling widely before eventually letting out a guttural roar in the middle of the court, she turned her focus to Thursday. “Win or lose, it’s a great opportunity for me to learn.

“Obviously facing a player like Coco is something that people would kill to do, and in a quarterfinal here in Dubai as well, so I’m super excited.”

Earlier in the evening on the same court, Gauff hit 16 double-faults and had to save three second-set match points as she fought back against Elise Mertens to confirm her place.

The American, ranked No. 4 in the world, progressed 2-6, 7-6(9), 6-3, but it was painful viewing, even for her. “I’m trying to be positive,” she said.

“I’m critical. I feel like ... I don’t know. It’s weird. I feel like the last tournament I took some steps forward, and today I took some steps backwards, but still got the win.

“It’s a weird feeling. I feel conflicted. It wasn’t the prettiest, but I’m also happy. I could have easily lost.”

Despite Mertens beating a top 10 player only once in the past 12 attempts on hard courts, Gauff started erratically, losing two of her first three service games and looking well-beaten as she slumped to a first-set loss within 33 minutes.

The stats card made for even more unpleasant reading. Three double-faults and 14 unforced errors off her forehand epitomized a first-set performance far from the standard expected of a world No. 4.

But then came a glimmer of hope as she broke back. In doing so, she regained a little control and it was then the turn of Mertens, 21, to fire off a series of unforced errors.

She found herself 5-3 up and serving to tie the set, but once more faltered, double-faulting and failing to hold to allow her opponent a route back into the set and push it toward a tie-break.

What followed was a showcase of ugly tennis and erratic, wild serving. Gauff saved three match points before getting lucky when she clipped the cord with a backhand. Apologizing with a raised hand, she took the lead and closed out the tiebreak 11-9 to force a deciding set.

“I feel like it’s almost easier to play when you’re down than when you have the match in your hands,” Gauff said. “I just wanted to give myself the chance today.

“I feel like my last two matches, in Doha and the Australian Open, I didn’t feel like I fought enough for the second sets. This match, when I lost the first set, I really wanted to fight for that second and give myself the opportunity to compete in the third.”

With the third set confirmed, she grabbed the opportunity, securing the vital break at 4-3. “I don’t even remember the last time I saved match points, probably when I was 15, so I’m really happy to get through today, it was a long one,” she said,

Addressing the majority-Pinoy crowd with a giggle, she said: “I know you guys are probably here for Alex, so I’m sorry I made you wait.”