Saudi Arabia keen to invest in second phase of CPEC — Asim Bajwa

Chairman of China Pakistan Economic Corridor (CPEC), General Asim Saleem Bajwa, left, meets with Saudi ambassador Nawaf Saeed Al Malkiy, in Islamabad on Feb. 15, 2020. (Photo courtesy: Asim Saleem Bajwa/Twitter)
Short Url
Updated 15 February 2020
Follow

Saudi Arabia keen to invest in second phase of CPEC — Asim Bajwa

  • Saudi ambassador Nawaf Al Malkiy met on Saturday with Chairman CPEC, General Asim Bajwa
  • Last year, Saudi Arabia announced it planned to set up a $10 billion oil refinery in Gwadar port

ISLAMABAD: Saudi ambassador Nawaf Saeed Al Malkiy told Chairman of China Pakistan Economic Corridor (CPEC), General Asim Saleem Bajwa, that Saudi investors were keen to put money into the second phase of CPEC projects, Bajwa said in a Twitter post on Saturday.
Beijing has pledged over $60 billion as part of the CPEC, which involves the construction of power stations, roads, new railways and bigger ports to help turn Pakistan into a major overland route linking western China to the world.
“Meeting with H.E. Nawaf Saeed Al Malkiy, Ambassador of Saudi Arabia to Pakistan. Reaffirmed brotherly support & informed that Saudi investors are keen about 2nd phase of CPEC to invest in various sectors including energy, oil & gas, food security & SEZs,” Bajwa tweeted.

Last year, the Saudi energy minister announced the kingdom planned to set up a $10 billion oil refinery in Pakistan’s deepwater port of Gwadar-- the Indian Ocean port that is being developed with the help of China as part of CPEC.
In 2018, after the maiden visit of Pakistani Prime Minister Imran Khan to Saudi Arabia, Islamabad announced the kingdom would be the third “strategic partner” in the multi-billion dollar CPEC.


Sindh assembly passes resolution rejecting move to separate Karachi

Updated 21 February 2026
Follow

Sindh assembly passes resolution rejecting move to separate Karachi

  • Chief Minister Shah cites constitutional safeguards against altering provincial boundaries
  • Calls to separate Karachi intensified amid governance concerns after a mall fire last month

ISLAMABAD: The provincial assembly of Pakistan’s southern Sindh province on Saturday passed a resolution rejecting any move to separate Karachi, declaring its territorial integrity “non-negotiable” amid political calls to carve the city out as a separate administrative unit.

The resolution comes after fresh demands by the Muttahida Qaumi Movement (MQM) and other voices to grant Karachi provincial or federal status following governance challenges highlighted by the deadly Gul Plaza fire earlier this year that killed 80 people.

Karachi, Pakistan’s largest and most densely populated city, is the country’s main commercial hub and contributes a significant share to the national economy.

Chief Minister Syed Murad Ali Shah tabled the resolution in the assembly, condemning what he described as “divisive statements” about breaking up Sindh or detaching Karachi.

“The province that played a foundational role in the creation of Pakistan cannot allow the fragmentation of its own historic homeland,” Shah told lawmakers, adding that any attempt to divide Sindh or separate Karachi was contrary to the constitution and democratic norms.

Citing Article 239 of Pakistan’s 1973 Constitution, which requires the consent of not less than two-thirds of a provincial assembly to alter provincial boundaries, Shah said any such move could not proceed without the assembly’s approval.

“If any such move is attempted, it is this Assembly — by a two-thirds majority — that will decide,” he said.

The resolution reaffirmed that Karachi would “forever remain” an integral part of Sindh and directed the provincial government to forward the motion to the president, prime minister and parliamentary leadership for record.

Shah said the resolution was not aimed at anyone but referred to the shifting stance of MQM in the debate while warning that opposing the resolution would amount to supporting the division of Sindh.

The party has been a major political force in Karachi with a significant vote bank in the city and has frequently criticized Shah’s provincial administration over its governance of Pakistan’s largest metropolis.

Taha Ahmed Khan, a senior MQM leader, acknowledged that his party had “presented its demand openly on television channels with clear and logical arguments” to separate Karachi from Sindh.

“It is a purely constitutional debate,” he told Arab News by phone. “We are aware that the Pakistan Peoples Party, which rules the province, holds a two-thirds majority and that a new province cannot be created at this stage. But that does not mean new provinces can never be formed.”

Calls to alter Karachi’s status have periodically surfaced amid longstanding complaints over governance, infrastructure and administrative control in the megacity, though no formal proposal to redraw provincial boundaries has been introduced at the federal level.