Fears rise among Pakistani students in China as coronavirus death toll mounts

Workers from local disease control and prevention department in protective suits disinfect a residential area following the outbreak of a new coronavirus in China, Jan. 25, 2020. (CNSPHOTO via REUTERS)
Short Url
Updated 15 March 2020
Follow

Fears rise among Pakistani students in China as coronavirus death toll mounts

  • About 28,000 Pakistanis are studying in China
  • Pakistani authorities have not announced any evacuation plans

ISLAMABAD: Pakistani students in China said on Tuesday that they were living in fear as the number of known cases of the new coronavirus was rapidly rising, infecting thousands of people and killing at least 106.

According to China’s National Health Commission, 4,547 infections have been reported as of Tuesday, a surge from Monday’s figure of 2,835.

About 28,000 Pakistani students are studying China, with 500 of them in Wuhan – a city of 11 million in Hubei province and the epicenter of the coronavirus outbreak – according to Foreign Office data.

“Fear and panic is all around due to the mounting death toll and rapid spread of the virus,” Muhammad Sadiq, a doctoral student in Wuhan, told Arab News on the telephone. “But we have been trying to deal with it by remaining in close contact with other fellow students.”

He said that the Chinese government had suspended all vehicular traffic, closed shopping malls, educational institutions, and restricted outdoor activity to prevent further infections.

“We have been confined and isolated to our rooms … streets are deserted and the whole city is virtually locked down,” he said, adding that the Chinese authorities were “doing their best” to facilitate them.

Most of the coronavirus cases have been reported in Hubei, where 17 cities, including Wuhan, have been under lockdown.

The deadly virus has spread to other parts of the world as well, but so far no deaths have been reported outside China.

Hamid Hussain, a Pakistani student at Wuhan University, said that some students had approached the Pakistani Embassy and the Higher Education Commission, seeking their help to get out of the city.

“Some students have appealed for evacuation from the city, but so far it seems impossible as all plane, train and bus links to Wuhan have been suspended,” he said over the phone.

According to Hussain, there was a “mild food shortage” in some parts of the city last week, but now they are “provided with an abundance of food, medicines, masks and all other necessary items.”

Many countries, including the US, Japan, France, and Mongolia have announced their plans to evacuate citizens from Wuhan and other virus-hit areas. But Pakistani authorities have so far expressed satisfaction over the Chinese government’s disease control measures and approach to affected Pakistani nationals.

“We have approached Chinese foreign ministry over complaints about the food shortage and they have informed us that a three-time meal was being provided in the sealed areas,” Pakistani Foreign Minister Shah Mahmood Qureshi said in a statement on Monday night.

The minister added that the Chinese authorities were “fully cooperating” and Pakistan relied on their assistance. “We need their help to secure the lives of our citizens,” he said.


Attack on paramilitary post in northwest Pakistan kills seven security personnel, child

Updated 5 sec ago
Follow

Attack on paramilitary post in northwest Pakistan kills seven security personnel, child

  • Blast hits Frontier Corps checkpoint in Bajaur near Afghan border
  • Police recover bodies from rubble as rescue operation continues

ISLAMABAD: An attack on a paramilitary checkpoint in northwest Pakistan killed at least seven security personnel and a child on Monday, officials said, the latest in a series of attacks in a region bordering Afghanistan.

Pakistan has witnessed a steady rise in attacks in the northwestern Khyber Pakhtunkhwa province since the Taliban returned to power in Afghanistan in 2021, with most violence targeting police and security forces in former tribal districts along the border.

Islamabad says the Tehreek-e-Taliban Pakistan (TTP) militant group has reorganized across the frontier and operates from safe havens inside Afghanistan, a charge Kabul rejects, insisting it does not allow its territory to be used against other countries.

The latest attack struck a Frontier Corps (FC) post in the Mamond area of Bajaur district, destroying a small compound where security personnel were stationed.

“We have recovered seven dead bodies, one of them police, and two injured from the debris while search for other bodies is underway,” Deputy Superintendent of Police Niaz Mohammad told Arab News, describing the compound as “a structure comprising four to five rooms.”

Rescue teams continued operations to locate anyone trapped beneath the rubble, officials said.

Police did not comment on the nature of the attack but a statement from the Khyber Pakhtunkhwa chief minister’s office described it as a suicide bombing and confirmed casualties among security personnel and a child.

“The martyrdom of security personnel and a child in the terrorist attack is extremely tragic,” the statement said, adding that emergency services had been instructed to speed up rescue efforts.

Authorities said operations against militants in the province would be intensified.

Districts along Pakistan’s border with Afghanistan, including Bajaur and Bannu, have repeatedly been targeted in bombings and assaults on security checkpoints since a fragile ceasefire between Islamabad and the TTP collapsed in late 2022. Security forces continue to conduct intelligence-based operations in the region, but patrols and outposts remain frequent targets.