Recalled Hafeez aims for T20 World Cup before retiring

Pakistan cricket captain Mohammad Hafeez celebrates the dismissal of Australian cricketer David Warner (unseen) during the ICC Twenty20 Cricket World Cup's Super Eight match between Australia and Pakistan at the R. Premadasa International Cricket Stadium in Colombo on October 2, 2012. (AFP)
Short Url
Updated 17 January 2020

Recalled Hafeez aims for T20 World Cup before retiring

  • 39-year-old allrounder believed he could groom youngsters in the team
  • Hafeez will be playing only as a batsman

ISLAMABAD: Pakistan all-rounder Mohammad Hafeez regards the home series against Bangladesh next week as an audition for the Twenty20 World Cup squad before he exits international cricket.
Hafeez was recalled for the three T20s in Lahore starting next Friday after playing his last T20 in 2018 against New Zealand. He was named man of that series but the selectors ignored him last year during which No. 1-ranked Pakistan lost eight of its nine completed T20s.
“My personal plan is that I should play for Pakistan on the basis of fitness and performance,” Hafeez said on Friday. “I want to play the World Twenty20 and then I want to make an exit from international cricket.”
The T20 World Cup is in October in Australia.
The 39-year-old allrounder expected his recall and believed he could groom youngsters in the team.
“Well, (selection was) not a surprise to me to be honest because I’m always available for the team,” he said. “There are more youngsters than seniors (in the team) so it will be great for us to share the experience with them and let them express themselves in a way so they can perform and do well for a long period of time.”
Hafeez will be playing only as a batsman against Bangladesh after his bowling action in August in England was reported and he was suspended from bowling in England last week. Hafeez said he will miss bowling his offspin, which has earned him 54 wickets in 89 T20s for Pakistan.
“I’m ready to retest again and I am waiting for it,” Hafeez said. “Hopefully it will be done soon.”
Hafeez has also played 55 tests and 218 one-day internationals since 2003.


Saudi electric car racer tastes victory in Mexico City E-Prix

Updated 23 min 8 sec ago

Saudi electric car racer tastes victory in Mexico City E-Prix

  • The first and second rounds of the championship were held on Nov. 22 and 23 at Saudi Arabia’s Diriyah venue

RIYADH: Saudi driver Fahad Algosaibi has secured a major victory in the Mexico City E-Prix.

The electric car racer won the Pro-Am class of the Jaguar I-Pace eTrophy and finished fourth overall in the third race of the 2019/20 season which took place on Feb. 15 at the Autodromo Hermanos Rodriguez.

The participation of Algosaibi and Capt. Mashour bin Hojaila, both of Team Saudi Racing, was sponsored by the General Sports Authority (GSA) and the Saudi Arabian Motor Federation (SAMF).

Starting the race in pole position, Algosaibi recorded the fastest lap in his class, earning him extra points on top of those for pole position, to rank second in the championship on 36 points, just six behind Chinese driver Zhang Yaqi. Algosaibi also picked up points for not taking risks.

However, his teammate Hojaila ended up in hospital after his car was hit from behind by Chinese driver David Chang sending it crashing into a wall.

The organizing committee of the Jaguar I-Pace eTrophy Championship was forced to cancel qualifying trials due to the poor condition of the circuit in some newly paved sections and used the results of free trials to determine the starting lineup. This meant Algosaibi started first and Hojaila second in the Pro-AM class.

The first and second rounds of the championship were held on Nov. 22 and 23 at Saudi Arabia’s Diriyah venue.