HURGHADA, Egypt: Combing the Red Sea beach at an Egyptian luxury resort, workers find bagfuls of plastic garbage — but the news isn’t all bad, thanks to a new environmental initiative.
Pointing at five bags filled with plastic bottles, straws, shopping bags and similar refuse, 20-year-old Wael said: “This isn’t very much — six months ago the plastic waste here filled up trucks.”
Like a growing number of coastal cities, the Egyptian resort of Hurghada this year decided to fight back against the mountains of plastic trash polluting the world’s oceans.
Environmentalists had long campaigned against the blight of polymer refuse floating on waves, washing up on beaches and harming coral reefs and marine wildlife.
Divers recently rescued a shark by removing a plastic ring from around its neck, says local campaign group the Hurghada Environmental Protection and Conservation Association (HEPCA).
So in June the popular tourist resort and other cities of Egypt’s Red Sea province prohibited single-use plastic products, enforcing the ban with stiff fines.
Since then, disposable plastic shopping bags and throw-away utensils have been largely replaced with alternative products made from paper, other organic materials and biodegradable plastic.
“Single-use plastics are no longer to be seen in the city,” said Ahmed Al-Gharib, manager of a luxury hotel in central Hurghada.
HEPCA says that while the problem hasn’t disappeared, a big difference can be seen at the city’s waste sorting plant.
The amount of plastic waste received there fell to 141 tons in November, down from 230 tons during the same month a year earlier.
The world currently produces more than 300 million tons of plastic annually. Scientists estimate there are at least five trillion pieces of the stuff floating in our oceans.
The United Nations says only nine percent of plastic ever produced has been recycled.
It is a global problem that requires many local solutions, including in Egypt where many tourists no longer accept single-use plastic and welcome the change.
Egypt’s Red Sea province depends heavily on income from tourists, many of whom come to snorkel and scuba dive among its spectacular reefs — delicate ecosystems particularly threatened by both global warming and plastic pollution.
Authorities are taking the new ban seriously, fining a Hurghada shopping center 20,000 Egyptian pounds (more than $1,200) after seizing plastic bags there, local media reported in August.
HEPCA executive director Heba Shawky said such fines had helped bring more than 70 percent of Hurghada’s shops in line.
Since the ban, the group and authorities have distributed tens of thousands of reusable bags to residents and businesses, to deter the use of single-use plastic bags.
Fast-food chains and grocery stores have switched to wood-based or paper packaging.
And most hotels in and around Hurghada have given up disposable plastic cups and utensils.
“We now use either acrylic or wooden cups and utensils” designed to be reused or to break down naturally, Gharib told AFP.
Mohamed Musa, director of another resort’s food and beverage department, said that plastic waste resulting from a single hotel meal-time had been cut from up to two tons to about 750 kilogrammes.
“The entire city has become cleaner than before,” he said.
Egypt beach resorts fight global scourge of plastic trash
https://arab.news/pwhre
Egypt beach resorts fight global scourge of plastic trash
- Single-use plastics are no longer seen in the city
- Fast-food chains and grocery stores have switched to wood-based or paper packaging
The UN says Al-Hol camp population has dropped sharply as Syria moves to relocate remaining families
The UN says Al-Hol camp population has dropped sharply as Syria moves to relocate remaining families
- Forces of Syria’s central government captured the Al-Hol camp on Jan. 21 during a weekslong offensive against the SDF, which had been running the camp near the border with Iraq for a decade
DAMASCUS: The UN refugee agency said Sunday that a large number of residents of a camp housing family members of suspected Daesh group militants have left and the Syrian government plans to relocate those who remain.
Gonzalo Vargas Llosa, UNHCR’s representative in Syria, said in a statement that the agency “has observed a significant decrease in the number of residents in Al-Hol camp in recent weeks.”
“Syrian authorities have informed UNHCR of their plan to relocate the remaining families to Akhtarin camp in Aleppo Governorate (province) and have requested UNHCR’s support to assist the population in the new camp, which we stand ready to provide,” he said.
He added that UNHCR “will continue to support the return and reintegration of Syrians who have departed Al-Hol, as well as those who remain.”
The statement did not say how residents had left the camp or how many remain. Many families are believed to have escaped either during the chaos when government forces captured the camp from the Kurdish-led Syrian Democratic Forces last month or afterward.
There was no immediate statement from the Syrian government and a government spokesperson did not respond to a request for comment.
At its peak after the defeat of IS in Syria in 2019, around 73,000 people were living at Al-Hol. Since then, the number has declined with some countries repatriating their citizens. The camp’s residents are mostly children and women, including many wives or widows of IS members.
The camp’s residents are not technically prisoners and most have not been accused of crimes, but they have been held in de facto detention at the heavily guarded facility.
Forces of Syria’s central government captured the Al-Hol camp on Jan. 21 during a weekslong offensive against the SDF, which had been running the camp near the border with Iraq for a decade. A ceasefire deal has since ended the fighting.
Separately, thousands of accused IS militants who were held in detention centers in northeastern Syria have been transferred to Iraq to stand trial under an agreement with the US
The US military said Friday that it had completed the transfer of more than 5,700 adult male IS suspects from detention facilities in Syria to Iraqi custody.
Iraq’s National Center for International Judicial Cooperation said a total of 5,704 suspects from 61 countries who were affiliated with IS — most of them Syrian and Iraqi — were transferred from prisons in Syria. They are now being interrogated in Iraq.










